Des Plaines,IL.,Trucker was killed when his Semi Dump hit a Train

They said the driver who was killed had at least 50 traffic violations on his record.
Going around downed gates is just plain stupidity unless you are being directed by police officers to do so. Sorry the guy died, but he was asking for it.

The National Transportation Safety Board will not investigate the incident because it was ruled a driver error.
He'd previously been cited for driving under the influence, disregarding a traffic control signal and driving the wrong way on a one-way street, records reveal.

Source: Truck Driver Had Several Traffic Violations | NBC Chicago

It was the drivers fault, he made an illegal left turn.. I have been through that intersection thousands of times in the past, and it is clearly marked with no left turn lights even when the train is approaching.. He made the wrong desicion to go around the gates that were down.

Hmm looks to me like he had a death wish,how could he even think he was going to beat a passenger train?
Out of all the trains passenger trains are always traveling the fastest.

If he was from the area,like some of you that live out there in the windy city,he should have known better.
That is why it almost looks like he wanted to die.

Thanks for your link Dockworker.
I found one more video talking about this drivers history of violations.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/iteam&id=8130078

Last edited by a moderator:
The news also reported that the driver had done this same thing back in '93, one passenger was injured back then. With his record of violations I'm amazed he was still driving. I wonder if his initial drivers license dates back to the scandel involving the Illinois Sec of State?

HM looks to me like he had a death wish,how could he even think he was going to beat a passenger train?
Out of all the trains passenger trains are always traveling the fastest.

If he was from the area,like some of you that live out there in the windy city,he should have known better.
That is why it almost looks like he wanted to die.

Thanks for your link Dockworker.
I found one more video talking about this drivers history of violations.

Intelligence report: Truck driver in Metra collision had long history of driving violations | abc7chicago.com

Ap he was carrying broken up Concrete from a job site 2 blocks up the road, he most likely was paid by the load as most of these guys around there get paid that way.. This intersection you have a clear Field of vision for over 3000 feet facing the direction the train was headed and at least the same in the opposite. The train at this point of its run was most likely slowing down as it was approaching the next terminal unless it was an express. If it was the express it would be doing around 45 miles and hour in that stretch.

He was successful at ending his non compliance to SAFETY.
Glad he was his own victim.

Unfortunately he did have a few other victims in this accident although he was the only fatality. Good riddance to bad rubbish if you ask me. Karma will get you in time.

Unfortunately he did have a few other victims in this accident although he was the only fatality. Good riddance to bad rubbish if you ask me. Karma will get you in time.

As sad as it was that he had to die. Impatient's can kill you.
If anyone chooses a "Paid by the load" job, they better know what you're getting into and not endanger the lives of others.
I always see dump trucks and container drivers speeding and driving aggressively. I kick back and stay away from them.

When I was a UPS Freight city driver,and safety trainer,I often asked the younger city drivers why speed when you are getting paid by the hour?
So according to you Toby in this guys case,he lost his life because of the way he was being paid,per load.
That is a terrible way to be paid in my opinion,because you wind up taking chances to make as much as you can.