ABF | Did ABF buy USF?

I have long thought that " BIG STEVE" was a former Carolina employee. I'm not about to get into any debate with him.But for those of you who joined ABF after ABF's "BUY OUT" of a very poorly run and "nearly broke Carolina". I would like to make it clear that between Carolina's management and thier own employee's ,they are the only ones responsible for the decline of that company. After only two weeks of taking it over ABF knew that there were many more problems than thought. And they knew then that it had been a big mistake in buying Carolina. I was in the industry for as a driver for 37 years and couldbn't believe what I seen and heard from former Carolina people. Nearly everyone had bad attitudes. Very few could cared less that thier jobs had been saved by ABF. I 'm just trying to give you another side of the story here. I said it before,if ABF does buy another company they will do it alot differently than the way they bought Carolina. Don't anyone think that the people running ABF are stupid...FAR FROM IT. You can believe it or not but you are working for the Best company in the trucking industry. You work for ABF, ABF will work for you. Thier checks are good, they are fair,you drive very good equipment. If you think it's so bad and you feel that you must put it down. Then do it after you've quit and working at WALLMART. Shuttlenut 034 retired

I have long thought that " BIG STEVE" was a former Carolina employee. I'm not about to get into any debate with him.But for those of you who joined ABF after ABF's "BUY OUT" of a very poorly run and "nearly broke Carolina". I would like to make it clear that between Carolina's management and thier own employee's ,they are the only ones responsible for the decline of that company. After only two weeks of taking it over ABF knew that there were many more problems than thought. And they knew then that it had been a big mistake in buying Carolina. I was in the industry for as a driver for 37 years and couldbn't believe what I seen and heard from former Carolina people. Nearly everyone had bad attitudes. Very few could cared less that thier jobs had been saved by ABF. I 'm just trying to give you another side of the story here. I said it before,if ABF does buy another company they will do it alot differently than the way they bought Carolina. Don't anyone think that the people running ABF are stupid...FAR FROM IT. You can believe it or not but you are working for the Best company in the trucking industry. You work for ABF, ABF will work for you. Thier checks are good, they are fair,you drive very good equipment. If you think it's so bad and you feel that you must put it down. Then do it after you've quit and working at WALLMART. Shuttlenut 034 retired

Well said.

I agree as another 30+ ABFer I was there when ABF bought Carolina after they were allowed to operate thur the strike
because they would not have the money to start back up.

how 'bout it, ??? could not have lasted thru the strike with this highly profitable well managed company??/what you say, BigSteve???:biglaugh:

I love how you guys listen to management. Truth is we usually know more than they do. Also, USF has a logistics company and a truckload company. This is what I think would entice ABF to purchase the whole package. On the west coast, nobody can beat Reddaway's service. This would also interest ABF as we have nearly 100 line drivers just out of our FON terminal and 80+ of them run the I-5 corridor. Reddaway dominates this area for next day and 2 day service. Money wise, YRC charges each individual terminal a "FEE" to operate under YRC. FON's fee is $480,000 a month. Without this "FEE", Reddaway FON would be operating in low to mid 80's. How would this not entice a company like ABF to purchase us in a time of financial uncertainty and dropping tonnage?

You know I just have to tell you that management here at ABF is never forthcoming on their plans until they are concrete. The mere fact that they announced in Chicago that they were not interested in any YRC company is good enough for me to take it to the bank. RedSpotter is no flake and does not spread BS.

You know I just have to tell you that management here at ABF is never forthcoming on their plans until they are concrete. The mere fact that they announced in Chicago that they were not interested in any YRC company is good enough for me to take it to the bank. RedSpotter is no flake and does not spread BS.

I hope that's right. I would love to work for a company where you can trust management. In 15 years, I've never met a manager or supervisor that I had that much trust in. If management is so trusting, why are you guys union? Seems like your throwing money away on dues. What does IBT do for you if your management is so "concrete"?

I hope that's right. I would love to work for a company where you can trust management. In 15 years, I've never met a manager or supervisor that I had that much trust in. If management is so trusting, why are you guys union? Seems like your throwing money away on dues. What does IBT do for you if your management is so "concrete"?

I never said anything about "trusting" management. I said they keep their yap shut until they know the plan. If I have to explain the concepts of organized labor to you.........

how 'bout it, ??? could not have lasted thru the strike with this highly profitable well managed company??/what you say, BigSteve???

even though you do not deserve a response i'll indulge you

never said they could
always said carolina was "marginally profitable"
never said carolina management were geniuses
so stop talkin ::shit:: especially if you do not know what you're talkin bout
read my posts before you put your foot in your mouth

and yes shuttlenut i was a carolina teamster with emphasis on the word TEAMSTER
all you had to do was ask
contrary to what you experienced us 707 carolina teamsters were not disgruntled with poor attitudes
as a matter of fact most abf guys i encountered were very disgruntled after the merge due to what and how "their" abf managerial geniuses handled the "buyout":nutkick:
unfortunately the truth is that the abf guys filed suit against the union for what happened and the result was a dead end as the court found the union applied the contract properly

i was also happy to continue my career to retirement as a TEAMSTER with the fact that i was employed with either carolina or abf a faraway second or anyone else for that matter

SO BOYS I SUGGEST," GET YOUR PRIORITIES and ALLEGIANCES IN ORDER"
REMEMBER WHERE THAT GOT YOU THE FIRST TIME AROUND

and don't drink too much koolade while you're at it:biglaugh::TR10driving03:

if you think for a moment that management is concerned with your welfare think again
history speaks for itself
that is why unions exist in the first place brothers
need i give you a labor lesson?

i reiterate TEAMSTER FIRST, ABF OR CAROLINA TEAMSTER SECOND

what would be in it for ABF. if we wait long enough ...............they could have holland and yrc for nothing and hire in all new emplyees and cut rate. i don`t want this to happen...............but if i were ABF that`s what i would do

what would be in it for ABF. if we wait long enough ...............they could have holland and yrc for nothing and hire in all new emplyees and cut rate. i don`t want this to happen...............but if i were ABF that`s what i would do

Same thing that happened with CF!!

even though you do not deserve a response i'll indulge you

never said they could
always said carolina was "marginally profitable"
never said carolina management were geniuses
so stop talkin ::shit:: especially if you do not know what you're talkin bout
read my posts before you put your foot in your mouth

and yes shuttlenut i was a carolina teamster with emphasis on the word TEAMSTER
all you had to do was ask
contrary to what you experienced us 707 carolina teamsters were not disgruntled with poor attitudes
as a matter of fact most abf guys i encountered were very disgruntled after the merge due to what and how "their" abf managerial geniuses handled the "buyout":nutkick:
unfortunately the truth is that the abf guys filed suit against the union for what happened and the result was a dead end as the court found the union applied the contract properly

i was also happy to continue my career to retirement as a TEAMSTER with the fact that i was employed with either carolina or abf a faraway second or anyone else for that matter

SO BOYS I SUGGEST," GET YOUR PRIORITIES and ALLEGIANCES IN ORDER"
REMEMBER WHERE THAT GOT YOU THE FIRST TIME AROUND

and don't drink too much koolade while you're at it:biglaugh::TR10driving03:

if you think for a moment that management is concerned with your welfare think again
history speaks for itself
that is why unions exist in the first place brothers
need i give you a labor lesson?

i reiterate TEAMSTER FIRST, ABF OR CAROLINA TEAMSTER SECOND

That is exactly the attitude that led to the demise of Smith's,
Gordon's, McLean, Mason-Dixon, Red Ball, Spector Red Ball, CF, Carolina, Ryder-PIE, et al. That 'Me first', Te----, and then whatever was left over for the company. Thanks Big Steve for showing your colors.

The info roundtable says that even if abf is looking nothing can be said until after the fact because of SEC rulings. They do not say they are not looking.

I hope so

I hope so. I work for a great and profitable reddaway terminal. But we need to be rescued from bad yrc management.