Did it just get more difficult to pass a DOT physical?

Discussion in 'The Drivers Lounge' started by Dick Dastardly, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

Apostolic, 00mustang and DCM_Doc like this.
  2. Mack185

Mack185 New Member

I’m sure the companies that make high blood pressure medication had nothing to do with this...

3. 00mustang

00mustang NO LTL 4 ME CAR HAUL ONLY

Agree more money taken out of our pockets to drive a truck total bull crap gald I'm about done with it all

Apostolic, ABFer and pro1driver like this.
  4. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

here is the thing, i am on BP meds, ok..?? 1 for the high number, 1 for the low number.

but there are times when i went for my DOT, that my BP shoots up. it has to do with anxiety or some stupid crap like that. always does (for me).

a "trick" i learned over the years is to NOT DRINK ANY caffeinated beverages the DAY BEFORE the DOT.

DO NOT HAVE salt for at least one day before your DOT as well.

DO NOT TAKE ANY COLD MEDICATIONS for at least one week before the DOT as well.

and DO NOT walk fast into the clinic/doctors office. you want to be as calm as possible.

now that i am "semi retired" due to my injury and subsequent operations, i have no more worries about this BS anymore.

i can assure you all that the DOT will adopt this ASAP.

i am sure nearly any driver will be only getting a 6 month DOT, then a yearly one. i cannot see too many drivers getting a 2 year DOT anymore, unless they are 1000% healthy.

good luck, people.

Cerberus_Kelpie and 00mustang like this.
  5. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Well-Known Member

My recent physical (April '17) is good until early '19, and after that, well, I believe I shall be done with driving Big Twucks.
    CHEERS!! :)

--been smoking cigarettes over 40 years and still have a b.p. of a teenager, which has been consistently under 130/80--except in early 2001 during cancer treatment as the b.p. fluxuated--

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    pro1driver likes this.
  6. Apostolic

Apostolic Super Moderator Staff Member

My thoughts when I saw this on the news,gonna knock out a lot of drivers,when their DOT exam comes due.

Oh my am I ever thankful to God I was able to retire when I did.

7. Cerberus_Kelpie

Walk fast, walk slow, matters not since you'll have a half hour or more to rest.

8. mud

mud Wonderin' AD-FREE USER

I retired in 2009 and kept my cdl with hazmat until 2016. That's when I finally said no más.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Apostolic and Cerberus_Kelpie like this.
  9. pro1driver

pro1driver I am LOST

hmmm not where i used to go. in and out rather quickly.

10. Cerberus_Kelpie

True pro1, some locations offer what appear as "quick services" after one is done with filling in the d.o.t. form AND if there are few people waiting.
    The Medical center i attended in April operated rather quickly and completed the process rather quickly.
    CHEERIOS!!

11. Cerberus_Kelpie

Glaringly appears the B.M.I. thingy did not "knock out" many drivers so maybe the B.P. thing will when tied in with sleep apnea?

12. Apostolic

Apostolic Super Moderator Staff Member

Me too mud,I retired in 2008,when my CDL came up for renewal,I became declassified to a regular old 4 wheeler driver.
    45 years as a gear jammer was enough to make a good living,& come away with a pretty good retirement.
    Glad I was able to get out when I did.

Cerberus_Kelpie likes this.