Did it just get more difficult to pass a DOT physical?

Dick Dastardly

Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!
Credits
"The American Heart Association has changed the definition of hypertension for the first time in 14 years, moving the number from the old standard of 140/90 to the newly revised 130/80."

I wonder if they will now lower the standard 140/90 that we've had to pass as drivers? If so, this will only exacerbate a driver shortage problem.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/103-million-americans-high-blood-pressure-guidelines/story?id=51121618
here is the thing, i am on BP meds, ok..?? 1 for the high number, 1 for the low number.

but there are times when i went for my DOT, that my BP shoots up. it has to do with anxiety or some stupid crap like that. always does (for me).

a "trick" i learned over the years is to NOT DRINK ANY caffeinated beverages the DAY BEFORE the DOT.

DO NOT HAVE salt for at least one day before your DOT as well.

DO NOT TAKE ANY COLD MEDICATIONS for at least one week before the DOT as well.

and DO NOT walk fast into the clinic/doctors office. you want to be as calm as possible.

now that i am "semi retired" due to my injury and subsequent operations, i have no more worries about this BS anymore.

i can assure you all that the DOT will adopt this ASAP.

i am sure nearly any driver will be only getting a 6 month DOT, then a yearly one. i cannot see too many drivers getting a 2 year DOT anymore, unless they are 1000% healthy.

good luck, people.

My recent physical (April '17) is good until early '19, and after that, well, I believe I shall be done with driving Big Twucks.
CHEERS!! :)

--been smoking cigarettes over 40 years and still have a b.p. of a teenager, which has been consistently under 130/80--except in early 2001 during cancer treatment as the b.p. fluxuated--

Last edited:
True pro1, some locations offer what appear as "quick services" after one is done with filling in the d.o.t. form AND if there are few people waiting.
The Medical center i attended in April operated rather quickly and completed the process rather quickly.
CHEERIOS!!

My thoughts when I saw this on the news,gonna knock out a lot of drivers,when their DOT exam comes due.

Oh my am I ever thankful to God I was able to retire when I did.
Glaringly appears the B.M.I. thingy did not "knock out" many drivers so maybe the B.P. thing will when tied in with sleep apnea?

Me too mud,I retired in 2008,when my CDL came up for renewal,I became declassified to a regular old 4 wheeler driver.
45 years as a gear jammer was enough to make a good living,& come away with a pretty good retirement.
Glad I was able to get out when I did.