Did you smoke pot ? Now it's ok to join the army

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 20_yrs_2_go, Dec 3, 2017.

1. 20_yrs_2_go

20_yrs_2_go Well-Known Member

The marijuana use exclusions represent about one-quarter of the total misconduct waivers the Army granted in the budget year that ended Sept. 30. They accounted for much of the 50% increase overall in recruits who needed a waiver for some type of misconduct.

Snow said the figures probably will rise further as more states legalize or decriminalize marijuana.

Eight states — Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Oregon and Washington — and the District of Columbia have fully legalized or are about to legalize possession of small amounts of marijuana for adults’ recreational use. An additional 13 states have decriminalized it, meaning possession of small amounts is considered the equivalent of a traffic citation or a low-end misdemeanor with no chance of jail. Twenty-nine states, along with Puerto Rico, Guam and Washington, D.C., allow the use of medical marijuana.

Army leaders have faced increased scrutiny in recent weeks amid worries in Congress and elsewhere about a decline in quality among new enlistees.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-army-pot-waivers-20171202-story.html

Magoo likes this.
  2. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

I don't think they really cared during the Vietnam draft what you did, lots of Judges at the time gave criminals the choice of service or jail.
    If they refuse your enlistment you might count it as a blessing and move on :idunno:
    I wonder when truck drivers will be allowed to smoke?
    Prolly about the time the industry goes to driver less is my guess.
    What do you think?

3. Magoo

4. Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

ATF doubles down on marijuana gun ban, adds warning to firearm purchase form
    The Cannabist › co › 2016/11/22 › atf-m...
    Nov 22, 2016 · The federal government just doubled down on its efforts to keep guns away from cannabis patients and legal adult-use marijuana consumers. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and ...

5. Magoo

I bet that guy is a smoker

6. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Only YOU can prevent.............. AD-FREE USER

Like the "decline in quality" of new Truck Drivers (some of whom have been and will be busted for possession of Mary Jane).
    Cannot handle the demands of the Military, become a "well paid" Trucker!

Cannot handle the demands of Trucking, become a "well paid" Soldier!
    - - - -
    A probable conversation somewhere in a Tent:

A Dude Soldier: Dude, I think those dudes over there are shooting at us, so dude what should we do dude?
    Another Dude Soldier: No worries dude, here dude, have another toke dude, I think it's just "Friendly Fire" dude.
    Not a Soldier, just some Contractor Dude: Dave's not here dude so I guess we just stay low and hang out with the FLOUNDER dude since he's the dude that's always LAST to know what's happening, dude.
    - - - -
    In the 70's, the military "minds" were only concerned with how many times a applicant had smoked or eaten Mary Jane, then 40 years later it's not a problem......go figure. They were not concerned in the 70's with Heroin or other "hard" drug use, just flirting with or abusing Mary Jane and certainly not concerned about hanging out with John Barleycorn.

Apparently there's some new strain of Mary Juana that does not cause sluggish behavior. Must be "Peppy Pot" or "Preppy Pot".
    - - - -
    Chill Dude, nothing in this Post is directed at ANY past, present or future Soldier or Trucker dude or dudette!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  7. Cerberus_Kelpie

Like the verfiably staggering evidence the fumbling feral buffoons have been able to amass in curtailing drug use through the "war on drugs". Good Luck Duck.

8. 20_yrs_2_go

Just goes to show you how the public reacts to undeclared wars. Some disqualified themselves others find ways to avoid enlisting
    The army finds it's self short handed and as usual Congress is clueless

9. Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

There is a mountain of evidence from the ranges in the west that the people in charge can't enforce the laws that were passed for their reading pleasure! Therefore we must pass more for the law abiding peasants to follow while the illegals kill us and walk about as free people in sanctuary cities!

DCM_Doc and Rastus like this.
  10. Cerberus_Kelpie

What nowadays would be a incentive for Enlisting?
    What "war" is where? Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, potential N. Korea (then China and Russia to equal armeggedon)???
    WE have enough "wars" here: On Drugs, On Homeless, On Hunger, On Education, On Poverty, and the forgotten "war" on the glaring LACK of "Common Sense".

So WHY would our Youth WANT TO Enlist??

Since the "draft" was shut down before I turned 18 and reinstated a few years after 18, I gave a go at Voluntarilly Enlisting in '76 (Army, Navy, Marines) and I was not accepted for some rediculous, as they claimed, minor Health reason or insignificant Birth defect. I was also unable to correctly offer "the answers" they sought to their "pointless drug use questions" considering how mucked up the Military complex was and appears to have become much worse since that timeline.
    I suggest to our Youth: Become a Truck Driver or (as MANY of our Youth have done) Start a Home Based Business from the Garage or Basement where you're living.

The "next war" will not be ground based, so no need of Soldiers.

11. Rastus

Rastus ..What Goes Around Comes Around.. AD-FREE USER

The way(s) to avoid enlisting is not to do it.

12. Rastus

Draft was shut down in '73 and never reinstated.

How dare the military and the trucking industry have standards.
    What is wrong with them?

Cerberus_Kelpie likes this.
  13. Bart

Bart Well-Known Member

If you want to join now and they turn you down tell them you like Fruit Loops and call a judge in Commiefornia!

14. AzPilot

AzPilot Well-Known Member

I enlisted in '76 and spent 3 years active duty service in the Army, contrary to what many believe there is a lot more to the military than just fighting in wars. I was assigned to Fort Carson,Co. and was assigned to a Combat Engineer Unit. In addition to our combat training exercises we worked on many projects within our community, the biggest project we worked on was building the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. The skills I developed in the military transferred to civilian life when I got out. I Could have gone into construction operating heavy equipment or trucking, I chose the latter.
    As for drugs in the military, that was a problem during the 70's, mostly pot and alcohol. I lived in barracks that were built in the 40's and on the weekend the smell of weed wafted through the barracks.

15. 20_yrs_2_go

Sadly I think your right
    Since we spend 10x more on military in general and countries like Afghanistan and Syria can keep the war going with far less I don't think more soldier's is the long term answer and the Pentagon knows it

16. 20_yrs_2_go

Compared to what's coming back while the war continues or the private sector charities that have been popping up since the war started.

Yeah there are plenty of options then enlisting You might not be on the battlefield but those coming back probably wouldn't survive without them

17. Rastus

Again, the way to avoid enlisting is not to enlist.
    Maybe you can understand it this way, the way not to get a job somewhere is not to apply there.
    Make any sense now?

SAC75 likes this.
  18. Cerberus_Kelpie

There were some folks I was friends with over a couple decades that after their Service years, their Service experience(s) was(were) not considered useful when again a Civilian, so go figure. Maybe such has changed, maybe not.

If I were accepted, I would have gone to Germany under the enlistment criteria of the "Buddy-Buddy" (not good buddy) program:
    Enlist with a friend and travel together.
    It would have been interesting as I was a bit of a Lariker (Aussie term for rapscallion or scallywag). The "Buddy" had working experience of Missle Technology, was a E-4 Rank Sergeant (or similar) and when back home, got a job at some Tire Center and lived in a dumpy small mobile home with his unfriendly second time pregnant wife.

19. Rastus

They why did you try to join the military three times, to get a crummy job and a fat wife?

20. Cerberus_Kelpie

Thanks for the clarification. The mid 70's to late May '92 were a bit fuzzy.
    CHEERS!!