Did you smoke pot ? Now it's ok to join the army

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 20_yrs_2_go, Dec 3, 2017.

1. 20_yrs_2_go

20_yrs_2_go Well-Known Member

From what the Trump admin says there are plenty of private sector jobs
    I understand that part

2. Cerberus_Kelpie

Cerberus_Kelpie Wings Over the World!

Nope. I actually went through the hoops once. The other attempts went nowhere beyond face to face.
    For the ARMY travel opportunity as well Geneologic Research. It would have been interesting & educational as well dangerous & M.P. involvement.
    Checked to make sure rules were across the board as some current and non current personnel suggested checking with Navy, Marines, Air Force. It was free to ask and the reason the ARMY rejected was for all. The Marines, surprisingly, were the most anal considering "when was the last time you smoked marijuana". I might have answered "this morning" or "last week" or "how/why does it matter?".
    CHEERS!!

3. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Reading these posts, I'm convinced some still smoked pot today.

I never have. Between sports and jobs, always subject to random testing. Besides, my friends that did, I noticed- more or less gave up on life and lost all motivation to succeed. That's big to me. I need challenges, or why live????

I actually believe, most problems today in the USA could be turned to the right track with a mandatory one year military training requirement for EVERY 18 year old. Males, Females, whatever self identifiers are at that momenters. It would teach discipline, , obeying orders, respect, fitness, self reliance, and teamwork. Might just turn some mammas boys and gang.bangers to being responsible citizens.

Big Dave, mud and DCM_Doc like this.
  4. DCM_Doc

DCM_Doc Well-Known Member

During the Vietnam war warm bodies were needed. A lot of cold bodies came back in body bags.

Magoo and jimmy g like this.
  5. DCM_Doc

The physical requirements then were a detectable heartbeat & enough of a finger to squeeze a trigger.

Magoo and jimmy g like this.
  6. mud

mud Wonderin'

I was in the USMC 1969-1973. Having never served in country in Vietnam, I can't comment on drug use there. What I can comment on is alcohol use on base. Alcohol in the enlisted clubs, 50 cents for a mixed drink and 35 cents for a beer. If you deployed outside of the U.S. cigarettes were 13 cents a pack. Alcohol and cigarettes were the biggest drug problem in the military back then. Imo.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    00mustang, Magoo and jimmy g like this.
  7. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

I had friends tell me it was popular to stuff groups into M60 tanks, close the hatches, and smoke, smoke, smoke. I know one radio operator that got high in a bunker, heard a rifleshot, and called in a million dollar air strike, just to teach em a lesson.

I'm not here to lecture anyone on how to live. If it makes them happy, and they stay inside, not endangering others, go for it. And people that claim it helps ease their pain. Seems a waste to me. But I know people that are making a fortune owning legal marijuana farms....

8. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

I'm sure drinking is still the big thing. Lots of reasons to drink. Liquor stores on base, uniforms have many deep pockets a quart can easily fit in and carried back to the barracks. Half pints on PT runs :438:

9. Rastus

Rastus ......Deplorable.....

It's simple, if you want to join the military or drive a truck just don't get high.
    Now what's so hard about that?

10. mud

mud Wonderin'

So is this a memory from your time spent in the military?

Magoo likes this.
  11. Magoo

Sounds familiar doesn't it

12. mud

mud Wonderin'

Never quite like that but I do remember these in the barracks of a Naval Base I spent time on.
    [​IMG]

00mustang and Magoo like this.
  13. 20_yrs_2_go

Notice the lock isn't secure ( bottom right )

We're the paychecks late ?

Magoo likes this.
  14. Magoo

I remember a dollar bill changer in company building entrance. A guy showed me how to put scotch tape on the end of the dollar. Let the machine suck it in then hold it until the change comes out them firmly pull the dollar back. Then take the change to the liquor store. Ha
    It was so simple sounding you think it wouldn't work, but it sure did. Need to use a newer strong bill that won't tear in half.
    It was a MOS training base and you were suppose to be in bed at a certain time.lights out . But we could take the screen out of the window and come back late from the club. Lots of alcoholics there, they made me go to a AA meeting with the company staff Sargent who was a boozer.
    Many sad stories with those lifers, divorces, far away from family.

15. Magoo

Sharp eye there, I missed it.
    You would have done well there Solider
    Or what are they in the Navy Seamen?

16. 20_yrs_2_go

They didn't get the phrase " drunkin sailor " out of nowhere this might help confirm it ?

What do you do with a drunkin sailor ....

Magoo likes this.
  17. DCM_Doc

I remember saying they stayed high because they didn't want to feel anything when they got hit.

Magoo likes this.
  18. Magoo

Nothing they sober up in the morning

19. mud

mud Wonderin'

Me and my buddies would go to the bar on base. The bar had a menu on the wall of the mixed drinks served in alphabetical order. We would start with A and see how far down the list we could get. You're right, lots of heavy drinkers back then amongst the senior enlisted members.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Magoo likes this.
  20. 20_yrs_2_go

Reminds me of a song