Did you smoke pot ? Now it's ok to join the army

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 20_yrs_2_go, Dec 3, 2017.

1. DCM_Doc

DCM_Doc Well-Known Member

There was a group of pot heads on every base in Vietnam. I wasn't one of them. I guess everybody dealt with stress in their own way. I worked on heavy equipment & couldn't do that safely if I was impaired. Heavy equipment is dangerous at best & being impaired is like playing Russian roulette around any machine including trucks. Heroin was easy to get also & it wasn't cut like most of it is here today.
    I know a person very knowledgeable on drugs. Drugs seized in a drug bust are analyzed. The more pure the drugs are, the higher on the echelon the drug dealer is. Often common flour is used to cut the drug. Drugs may be cut several several times before it gets to the user.

2. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook AD-FREE USER

He has posted many many times that he was never in the military. But his stories have conflicted often. One day, he's living alone, broke in a buddy's apartment- later he's always lived in a gated community with his wife. My Mags is probably a political activist, paid to stir.... notice he never said Yes. Only 'sounds familiar, doesnt it?'

I sat in a McDs and talked to a man with no legs. He told me he worked for the DAV. Gave me a card explaining that more than 4 times as many people who ever served in Vietnam claim to have served there. I believe it, especially in these days of anonymity on message boards....

Rastus likes this.
  3. Rastus

Rastus ..MAGA.. AD-FREE USER

That's what I thought.

4. mud

mud Wonderin' AD-FREE USER

My next door neighbor asked me once if I served in Vietnam. I replied that the closest I got was out in the Gulf of Tonkin on an aircraft carrier. My neighbor got all huffy and told me that I didn't serve and he wanted to know how I got out of serving. Then he stormed off.

5. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook AD-FREE USER

Well, I Thank You for your service, regardless.

I didn't. I turned 18 in 72, and they basically quit even taking all but the extreme highest draft lottery numbers in early 72. I got lucky. Checked out enlisting, but my neighbor came home with pieces missing from a boobytrapped tank and scolded me not to. Told me, Uncle Sam knew where I was- that Uncle knew how to get me if he needed me.. Mags told me once he's a year younger than I, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't drafted....

00mustang and mud like this.
  6. mud

I didn't have to register for the draft as I enlisted in the USMC delayed entry program a couple of days after my eighteenth birthday in April of 1969. I recently had some plumbing work done on my home through Home Depot. The plumber they sent was a very knowledgeable young man in his mid twenties, who did a very good job. We got to talking and he said he went to school to be a plumber right after high school. I said two weeks after I graduated from high school I was in Marine Corps bootcamp. He responded by saying he also wanted to go into military service after high school, but his Mother pleaded with him not to as the family had recently lost a military member to war. I told him that he made the right decision in honoring his Mother's request.

7. Magoo

Magoo You don't have to be Einstein to figure it out

I was older maybe 25, there wasn't many jobs to be found with advancement possibility's Reagan was President we were in a recession, high interest rates strangled the economy. So I joined the Army, went in for Accounting MOS 73 Delta I had a college course in that prior and I figure that could be a good thing for me. When I finally made it through the second week of specialty training one of the other students asked the two Sargent's teaching us about what our jobs would be like after we finish our training. I was blown away when they told us we would probably be cashiers somewhere, maybe hand out paychecks at a company. In any event all :horseshit: work with nothing to do with accounting.
    This school was in Ft Benjamin Harrison right out side of Indianapolis. There on the base was the second largest building so they say like the Pentagon. Thats where all the payroll is done for I guess all the military and what else I don't know but its huge. Our teachers told us all accounting is done by civilians not service members so I was really disappointed I signed up for 4 years of waste.
    At that time if you flunked a test in the traing they booted your ass out of the service. So the second to last test I failed, they decided since I aced all the others that this must have been a fluke and recycled me into the next class. So I did a lot of drinking in Ft Harrison hated the service.
    Had bad eyes should not have even been there because I could not tell who was an officer before they were right next to me. I didn't salute & some them had hissy fits.. F Me they dress you up in camouflage and camouflaged insignia and I'm suppose to tell who the F they are!
    The theory is the enemy watching won't be able to tell which man is the officer to shoot.
    Thats smart because I couldn't either.
    There are some good people in the service and there are a lot of assholes there too.
    I learned I should not have believed the BS they told me to get me signed up.
    After I again failed the second to last test this time they let me go. I made my time to make veterans benefits but would never use them.
    I'll leave that for the guys who stuck it out.
    I found it was not for me

One thing that brushed me by was a call looking for a solider to come to a base around DC somewhere. I forgot the name of it they said there was no housing that I would need to find my own. And there would be no wearing of uniforms. I thought that part sounded good NO haircuts?
    Some secret kind of stuff not sure what it was but may have been that stuff they were doing with arms for hsotages and supplying weapons to Nicaragua and that whole mess they had going on then. But I didn't get the job and they don't tell you.

What I did wonder is how they expect you to find a place to live in one of the most expensive areas in our county. So I figure they were going to scratch your back somehow

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  8. Rastus

Rastus ..MAGA.. AD-FREE USER

I was over 25 when President Reagan took office and you're older than me.
    You can get in the military when your eyes are that bad, I have a metal plate in my leg so I didn't qualify. I'm smelling a fish story.

9. mud

My friend and I decided we wanted to see the world. His uncle was a Marine Corps recruiter. So I enlisted with an aviation school guarantee and we were going to go through bootcamp together on the buddy plan. As soon as we stepped of the bus at USMCRD San Diego Ca., my buddy was screamed at to go one way, and me another. I never saw him again in bootcamp. Come to find out, my aviation school guarantee only guaranteed me the first very basic week long school. Later on in school I almost flunked out. I had to go before a Marine Corps Captain who locked my heals together and told me, fail one more class and you will spend the next four years on mess duty. I graduated from aviation school and went on to four years in the USMC. I didn't hate my time in the Marine Corps but military life was not for me. I had nightmares for years that I had re-enlisted.

00mustang, jimmy g and Magoo like this.
  10. Magoo

After the war years they didn't make you stay like they did then. Back then you screwed up you figured you would be on the next ship to Saigon.
    A company Captain told us a few times if we anted out to let him know and he would get us out.
    I didn't trust him, so I found another way.
    I was too old for that I guess.
    I could see me keeping my sanity for long there. If there was a job in that MOS I would have stayed.
    I had a drinking buddy in the same situation he flunked out of Russian school out in California then came there and flunked out on accounting to0
    We would drink and think about what we would do at home. Lets get a job on a fishing boat got to be better than this LOL

11. AzPilot

AzPilot Well-Known Member

I went in the Army on the buddy plan and my buddy went to Ft Benning and I went to Ft Dix for basic,the Army only says your first duty assignment will be the same. I wouldn't trade the maturity and experiences I gained for anything.

12. DCM_Doc

Recruiters would promise anything back then to get volunteers. I remember one guy came to boot camp with his golf clubs.. The recruiter told him there was one of the best golf courses in the world there.

Magoo, 00mustang and AzPilot like this.
  13. mud

I couldn't agree more. Some time spent in the military is a very good start in a young man's life.

00mustang, AzPilot and DCM_Doc like this.
  14. Magoo

interesting in the Ken Burns Vietnam series there was a man telling the same story of his best buddy and him joining together to serve together
    After they got off the bus at basic training he said they didn't see each other for forty years

15. DCM_Doc

I remember two guys in boot camp telling the drill sergeant that hey joined on the buddy plan & they were supposed to be together.. The drill sergeant asked if they wanted to hold hands all through boot camp. I think that was the last time they mentioned anything about the buddy plan. I remember one drill sergeant saying that anybody that didn't like boot camp they could get their money back. It wasn't easy to get out of the military back then.

Magoo likes this.
  16. Magoo

I don't think they would refuse you if you said you were gay or smoked pot.
    The only way to avoid service legally in those days was to have a health problem or get the doctor to say you did and to go to college.Or I think being married was a reason to not get drafted
    I think the college deferment kind of dried up after awhile I don't know the details.
    Funny scene about the draft and being too stupid

17. 00mustang

00mustang NO LTL 4 ME CAR HAUL ONLY

Back in '70 it didn't matter if you were married or going to college cause there were guys in with me that thought the same thing, but the still won that lottery.The only way I heard is run across the border up north. And most of them got to come back with no problems sissy boys

Big Dave likes this.
  18. DCM_Doc

There were several ways to avoid the draft back then. Some got physical deferments because they were truly not physically fit for the military & some claimed bogus disabilities. As I remember there was a temporary deferment for those attending preaching school which could last for several years. I know of two such men who "Got their call to preach" & dragged it out for several years till the war was over.

Magoo and 00mustang like this.
  19. mud

After arriving at MCRD San Diego Ca. at 11pm , the drill instructors keep us up all night. Early the next morning I remember standing in long lines with what seemed like hundreds of recruits. Then out of nowhere a recruit broke ranks and ran up to a trio of drill instructors. Sir he yelled, I've changed my mind. I don't want to be in the Marine Corps. The drill instructors called over another drill instructor and told the recruit to repeat what he has just said. Which he did, and the drill instructors yelled and screamed the recruit back in line. Almost as funny when a drill instructor screamed at me that he was going to hit me so hard my whole family was going to grunt.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    DCM_Doc, 00mustang and Magoo like this.
  20. mud

December 18th., 1972.
    And I was out in the Gulf of Tonkin [​IMG] with my squadron VMFA-333, aboard the USS America.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    DCM_Doc, Magoo and 00mustang like this.