TForce | Did'nt we at O/upgf vote out the union...

skull said:
Don't be afraid to call your local and ask questions you have nothing to loose. I worked for union and nonunion companies. I know the difference from my point of view. I was told from the union leaders of my local about the pension and other bennies. If your local tells you any different let us know. I think the teamsters are in this time. The DVD thing did'nt go over to good. Old news is old news. Instead of a raise and time and half after 8 I get a DVD in the F%$#ing mail about people fighting. They could just film on or dock. I've been jumped at by loosers on our dock. I'm not afraid any more I got a brand new size 10 steel toes.

And a bad a$$ user name to enforse it!!!!! I can say I share in that expeirence, FNG dock guys think they are all that and a bag of chips. I tell em get in line you will matter someday!!!! But hey without them I would have to work to damn hard!!!!

Union?

Thousand Dollar man said:
I'm new here on this board but my original question really never got an answer you guys spun off all over the place.What I meant was we here at OVNT/UPGF already have had the union come, and we all or should I say the majority voted to stay nonunion.My question is to anyone who will answer it is,What makes you think we will vote in the union in this time just because UPS now owns us?I don't think it would be a good use of organizing funds.WE are'nt as miserable as you pro teamsters say we are.I truly believe we will remain nonunion like it or not.If that makes me "stupid" then its my right...

Let me clear up some misinformation about OVNT's previous efforts to unionize. OVNT was well on it's way to becoming union. It hit a snag when L** S**** refused to recognize the union and refused to sit down at the table and negotiate. That is why the Teamsters called a strike. After 3 years, L** still had not relented, so the union and the drivers gave up and returned to work. As I've said on several of my posts before, that is the past and it is irrelevant. UPS is not opposed to the union and they will not stand in the way if the workers decide they want union representation. For the record, I don't beleive you are stupid, just wrong in this case.:lol: UPGF will end up with a union contract.

Strike

...Then who is the loser here? It is the teamsters. Because the strike is what gives the union the power and you know that.

If the company believes they will not push the button {STRIKE} then they can hold out without fear. Or will get a smaller increase in wages. All the teamsters power over a company is the strike threat.[/QUOTE]

The threat of a strike is not what gives the union it's power. A union contract is a LEGALLY binding document. That means the union can use the authority of the U.S. judicial system to enforce the terms of the contract. That is where the union derives it's power, not a strike.

Pension in jeopardy?

For those of you that are worried about your pension being in jeopardy, let me clear some of this up for you. If you have at least 5 years in your current(OVNT/UPS) pension, you are vested. What this means is that your pension is locked in. So, even if your company goes union, when you retire you will still collect your pension money from that fund based on the number of years accrued under that plan. If you work long enough to become vested in a union or another companies' pension plan, then when you retire you will receive a pension from that plan also. If you are vested, they CANNOT take your pension money away from you. That is regulated by federal laws.

Johnny Big Rig said:
I am with the thousand dollar man,But mr. web idiot back in 1998 they had their chance and it was their choice to come out and say their mission had changed from an organizing campaign to wanting to put OVERNITE out of business.When they said that it became personal and those of us did what we had to do to save our company and our jobs!!!!!
So yes I will go where I'm needed and I will vote No again
If Hoffa said this way back when, it was probably more of a rally cry than anything else....you know, a macho thing. So some of you guys can't forget it no matter what? Have none of you ever said things you really shouldn't have said? I'm sure you all have.

concerned citizen said:
For those of you that are worried about your pension being in jeopardy, let me clear some of this up for you. If you have at least 5 years in your current(OVNT/UPS) pension, you are vested. What this means is that your pension is locked in. So, even if your company goes union, when you retire you will still collect your pension money from that fund based on the number of years accrued under that plan. If you work long enough to become vested in a union or another companies' pension plan, then when you retire you will receive a pension from that plan also. If you are vested, they CANNOT take your pension money away from you. That is regulated by federal laws.

True.... But it can be rolled into another plan if you take that option. I hear something out there about an offering of 1 1/2 yrs of service rolled into teamster plan, not sure of that, but who knows. Some locals have multiple plans, and can be taking in different ways. Mine is such. Fortunately for me, I'll have aboput 200k plus in one and a definded amount in another, currently 3500. Just cause I'm young and will probably hit the age requirments.

greezy trucker said:
UH Yeah The only thing that is even saving us is that most of the MC boys got seniority on the O fellas!
Another thing saving us at LAX is that orange and commerce according to an ex-ovnt current upsf driver, has no line drivers just p&d and shuttle. If this is the case only p&d would be affected.

stldude44 said:
If Hoffa said this way back when, it was probably more of a rally cry than anything else....you know, a macho thing. So some of you guys can't forget it no matter what? Have none of you ever said things you really shouldn't have said? I'm sure you all have.
Yes, I said I would never get married again! OOPS!!!!

upgf10years said:
upgf has treated us very well....we have no need for a union at our barn. We have the best jobs in the industry....compare pension, 401, and now gain sharing, along with flexability......no question.....vote no, don't sell your soul for a few bucks.....
Author of the vision.

Being married is great with the right one...

with the wrong one its life in prison without parole.

Its always better to pray and ask God to send you the right one.

Than to try one,or more out before you say the I Do's.

Most co-habitators I've seen that make it legal don't last after the commitment.

Also women never feel security co-habitating, because they know their bunk mate could walk out of the relationship any time he feels he's had enough.

May just be my opinion .
I know God sent me the right one.

The family that prays together stays together.

Thousand Dollar man said:
why would the union waste their time and money on us again?My vote will be No again...:tribehasspoken:

Once you voted the union out, it isn't for life.
You must understand that a company can have a union vote every 12 months.
It only takes 30% of the employees signing cards to request a vote.
Someone once said If at first you don't succeed. try and try again!!!!!!!