DIP Pay

grocerythrower

TB Legend
Credits
Ok, I wish you all would sound off, how is it going for you? Some houses are non union and have no choice but to be on DIP. We are union and have an hourly wage.

First there was ABC, everyone made a buck, then came DIP, now they have butchered it to the point that we have yards full of hourly employees. I'm not in charge so I don't have the answers, I am but a stupid warm body, now....if I get manager in front of my name, all of a sudden my ideas would make sense, my opinions valid, and my concerns paid attention to. Heck I would be instantly intelligent.

So....what is you all's take on DIP, our guys are mad and feel de-valued, they are taking their time so they can get the OT.

Non-union house point if view. To me, a case is a case, is a case. I don't understand why the pay is higher if it gets delivered 10% faster. Same amount of energy to pick it up right?
To be honest, no one here really understands any of it, including the supervisors...this place is a Wage and Hour complaint waiting to happen between this and the payroll "mistakes" that are made. They've never made any mention of DIP, but it appears a switch has been made because one of our managers let it slip that there we were getting service pay for hours over 40, our ABC plan didn't gave service pay. I haven't noticed a decrease in pay, but my cs/hr (service hr) is up there so if we've been switched it probably wouldn't hurt me too bad. I've heard a few guys complaining that they're averaging a couple hundred/wk less than last year. I have no reason not to believe them.
My main problem with any type of incentive pay: THEY have no incentive to route or load the trucks properly, as our extra labor doesn't cost them a dime and in the case of DIP will save them money if the cases per hour drops because of it.

Union house POV, I don't care, I enjoy not doing the ABC paperwork, for over seven years now I go in, they have a route for me, no matter how screwed up it is or how badly they say I screwed up, I go in the next day and there is more work for me. Praise the Lord.

The top performers got hurt by the new DIP, young guys, but the older guys, including myself were making somewhere around the new hourly rate on ABC anyway, so it didn't affect us so we don't care. We get a printout every night to show what the DIP was, some have suggested we should get those in the morning so we can decide if we want to work hard or not. I throw the printout away without looking at it, I save the weekly printout for amusement purposes and to make sure my hours are right. Believe it or not, I've made DIP several times, but it's usually only a few dollars difference. I've heard that some drivers have slowed down, which is good and should cut down on injuries, and they stop making me look bad, but I work the same as I always have, find the cases put them on the dolly and wheel them in.

no one here really understands any of it, including the supervisors
This

We have two forms we can fill out, one is for delay time and such, the delay time would be added to the incentive pay, it doesn't help if you aren't making the incentive, so I don't fill it out and my life is much simpler. The other form is basically to request more time/money for a stop. When I asked, they've never given me more time for any stop when we were ABC, you think they're gonna give me more money for a stop? You make me laugh! There's some more paperwork that's a waste of time.

I like my route because most days half of my trailer comes off at the first stop. I may not know where I'm going in a 48' trailer for the rest of the day, but at least I'm at the bulkhead. And the first stop will let me reload what's left on my trailer if I don't like it. However the DIP is set at an impossible level for the first stop. I've never brought it up, I don't care, I'm hourly.

THEY have no incentive to route or load the trucks properly,
This also

How can this be fixed? Every solution they come up with is something to make it easier or more efficient for the warehouse, and it costs us in the field, in front of the customers, where we are supposed to be shining brightly. My first stop may be 12 cases, across four or five pallets, I may have to move 200 cases to find those 12, and they'll give me ten minutes to do it. Why does this happen? Please go back to your college textbook and refresh yourselves on the first two laws of thermodynamics, and then check out the thing on entropy. You can't get something for nothing, you cheat in the warehouse or routing, you will pay for it out there at the customer's back door.

I have had numerous conversations with the warehouse management about strapping the pallets in and the lack of shrink wrap, if they can't get the workers to do those two simple things, how are they gonna make them zone the pallets? Sometimes I'll get lucky and the freezer and dry pallets are zoned, and guess what? I'm done early!
If something happens once, I can blame the worker, but if it happens over and over (yeah, I got pictures) I blame the management. Really? You can't make these guys put straps on the pallets? You can't control your crew? Or maybe you just can't be bothered. How much damage could be avoided if they would only shrink wrap the pallets top to bottom, and maybe make that shrink wrap tight, and also go around the pallet more than once. My solution is to drive really..... really...... slow, and maybe they won't fall over.

The warehouse workers are overworked and want to go home, and they'll be fired if they work too slow, those are their incentives. We postulate that they think that since the drivers are making so much more money, no one really cares if we have to do a little more work. But if X amount of work needs to be done, wouldn't it, in the long run, cost less to have the warehouse workers do it? The time is going to be taken to lift the cases twice, they'll either be stacked correctly on the pallet, or thrown a few times by the driver, who do you want to pay to do it? The driver, of course, because he makes more, and that saves us money.

as our extra labor doesn't cost them a dime

If you're on DIP only it won't, but when some fool wipes out on the highway and I'm just sitting there, I have the consolation that they are paying me to do so. At least four times this week I have been routed to drive a considerable distance in the direction of rush hour traffic, they'll give me 20 minutes to drive and it takes 45 minutes. So on ABC I'd fall behind and I would try to catch up, but now, I'm stuck in traffic, or have to reload the trailer, or a pallet falls over, or the customer isn't there, or I can't find the product, and I fall behind, I have no incentive to bust my butt to catch up because I worked hard and feel like I deserve that money. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna continue to work hard the rest of the day, I'm not a slacker, and I might make up some of the time, but it's not my focus. It's good to be hourly.

I think we should all be hourly, on a route, the biggest complaint I get from customers is the drivers lack of patience, I would hate to be at a house where there is no real hourly pay with OT. When I'm on a route I like to relax and enjoy my work, I have found over the years when I hurry I make more mistakes, I also found that when I relax I am every bit as fast.

Sysco is trying to save money on wages, I get that, they cut our warehouse back as well, the whole opco is pissed off, and it shows. We are no longer the company to be at, if anyone asks another foodservice guy to come and apply, they get laughed at, we have developed a reputation here and no one wants any part of it. We can't find anyone that wants to work for us.

We postulate that they think that since the drivers are making so much more money, no one really cares if we have to do a little more work.

This is exactly what our VP of Operations told a driver who was complaining about the loads. He told him "I pay you to deal with it, if it were loaded better I'd have to cut your pay."

We are no longer the company to be at, if anyone asks another foodservice guy to come and apply, they get laughed at, we have developed a reputation here and no one wants any part of it. We can't find anyone that wants to work for us.

Same here, even with a new hire bonus.

This is exactly what our VP of Operations told a driver who was complaining about the loads. He told him "I pay you to deal with it, if it were loaded better I'd have to cut your pay."

Wow, really? Your VP OPS needs to be **** canned!!! What a douche bag statement. I'm sorry you have to deal with pigs like that, obviously they have zero management skills.

Man Sysco sounds like a really crappy company. Im glad I left Apperts when I did. I know there are better foodservice companies out there. Might make a little less but get treated better. Sysco mn cant find drivers at all. They have a 5500 dollar sign on bonus. Asian foods has a 3000 sign on bonus. Hell Domino's pizza is looking for class drivers for there distribution center. 65k to 80k a year and generally a 3 day work week. Probably better them sysco

Right, but if it were loaded right, I'd be done sooner and you'd be paying me less overtime... or I'd still have hours to do more work for you and you would need less drivers to do the work.

I'd be willing to take a pay cut if they would load it right, but I couldn't trust them to actually start loading it right after they cut my pay.

It may be six of one, but I still think they'd come out ahead if they made the warehouse do the hard work, and by that I mean to actually do the job they are paid to do, and even if they didn't come out even, I think it's more important for us to look good in front of the customers by having our trailers loaded well. I had a magical stop the other day where I had to break down a dry, cooler and freezer pallet. I lost twenty minutes or so according to their schedule, and I wonder what the customer was thinking as he only ordered thirty five pieces and I only had to make maybe five trips into the kitchen, but there was ten minutes before I brought the first dry load in and then another ten minutes before he saw his cooler and another ten minutes before he got his freezer product, because when I get to a new pallet I usually have to move all 95 cases on the pallet before I find what I need.

Man Sysco sounds like a really crappy company.

You are only hearing the worst, there are good things still. It could be better, sure, but it's not near bad enough to make me to look for another job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non-union I work 4 days a week 40 - 45 hrs make around 1350.00 a week I am OK with I do not run take my time and do the best I can at least I can take care of my family.

Man Sysco sounds like a really crappy company. Im glad I left Apperts when I did. I know there are better foodservice companies out there. Might make a little less but get treated better. Sysco mn cant find drivers at all. They have a 5500 dollar sign on bonus. Asian foods has a 3000 sign on bonus. Hell Domino's pizza is looking for class drivers for there distribution center. 65k to 80k a year and generally a 3 day work week. Probably better them sysco

LMAO at the bold part. If I had a choice between Domino's Transportation or Sysco, and that was the ONLY two I could choose, I would pick Sysco. Go ahead and jump on that Domino's job and let us all know how great it is ;-)

Talked to one of there drivers he said u go out on a layover come back take a single run out and ur done u put ur 40 hrs in 3 days then off 4 days.

Talked to one of there drivers he said u go out on a layover come back take a single run out and ur done u put ur 40 hrs in 3 days then off 4 days.
Maybe a senior driver.

It goes more like this:
2 drivers to a truck, one sleeps, one drives. Get to first stop, both drivers unload truck from that stop on. When empty, driver who drove out sleeps, other driver drives back. Routes average 16-34 hours. One long route, one short route, on middle of the road route. 3 routes a week=3 days to them. And no,it ain't legal but you will log it legal ;) Been there, done that, never again. Papa John's and Domino's run there supply chain almost identical. Trailers are loaded almost identical, dough is delivered the same way, etc.