ABF | Direct Service LTL Transportation

TomAlba

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi everyone! Does ABF provides direct service LTL? Is there other operators app to support that kind of LTLs transportation? I'm new in trucking. I appreciate any help a lot!

Hi everyone! Does ABF provides direct service LTL? Is there other operators app to support that kind of LTLs transportation? I'm new in trucking. I appreciate any help a lot!
Could you explain what you mean by 'direct service LTL'? ABF delivers direct to much of the US, Mexico, Canada and Puerto Rico. To us 'direct' means that it is picked up on an ABF truck by an ABF employee and delivered the same. It can be transferred from one truck to another several times during that process and a different truck and employee will make the delivery.

By "Direct Service" I mean the way of transporting LTL when a truckload carrier fills their backhaul with 4-6 LTL shipments. The shipment then moves as a full load to destination where it is delivered on the same truck. Let me know please if it hasn't become clear.

By "Direct Service" I mean the way of transporting LTL when a truckload carrier fills their backhaul with 4-6 LTL shipments. The shipment then moves as a full load to destination where it is delivered on the same truck. Let me know please if it hasn't become clear.
Your meaning combining multiple shipments for one customer on one trailer to be delivered at the same time. I would think that would be no problem for ABF.

To be absolutely precise I mean the transportation of the different customers shipments with different pick up origins and different delivery destinations with the same truck within the same route. My interest is to invest money in establishing trucking company to work in that kind of transportation. So I'm looking if I would have offers to complete direct service ltls from ABF or any other big companies. Or may be there is some web service to provide such multiloads.

OK, now I understand what you are looking at. There is not much, if any of what you are asking about. There was a company named Jevic (and a couple of others subsequent to that) that would come closest to what you speak of. They would pick up large LTL shipments on local trucks, return them to their terminal then transfer them to over the road trucks that would deliver the freight on a route across the country. It would be difficult or impossible to coordinate those pickups and have them loaded on the truck in proper order to make delivery. Receivers don't mind too much moving a little bit of freight to get to theirs but you show up with #10,000 in the way of theirs and they'll tell you to go deliver that other stuff and come back.

I am also familiar with one company that does that same thing with refrigerated freight.

I am also familiar with one company that does that same thing with refrigerated freight.
I appreciate your replies a lot! Do you think I would develop relationship as trucking company with the company you are talking about? May be they would make offers to 3rd party trucking business to ship such LTLs collections?

I appreciate your replies a lot! Do you think I would develop relationship as trucking company with the company you are talking about? May be they would make offers to 3rd party trucking business to ship such LTLs collections?
That company is long gone, and so is at least one that followed in its footsteps. There is a system of freight brokers that move some shipments like you are talking about but putting them together is not very easy or lucrative at the moment. There was a time when it was and maybe it will happen again in the future but for the time being I would not recommend it. Rates are too competitive right now to be able to make a decent living. The best route (in my opinion) with that type of operation would be with a flatbed, which would allow access for the shippers and receivers for loading and unloading of the freight from the sides or overhead crane.

Thank you once again for the informative and useful reply! I do agree that it's not a klondike. There are a lot of problems in addition to orders that mentioned above. Coordination in time for example, etc. Eventually it makes the market share of such shipments very slim. But as far as I'm looking for specialization for small business it might work. Could you please recommend right brokers for that purpose?

Could you please recommend right brokers for that purpose?
C.H. Robinson would be one. I can't think of any others at the moment. The joke on the street is that the C.H. stands for cheap and heavy. Their rates are so low that you will go more broke with every shipment you haul.

Hmm... doesn't sound very well (((
I would say that it not a bad idea, just not one for right now. There were times when men made good money doing what you are talking about.

Hmm... doesn't sound very well (((
I have had someone pass on to me that DayBreaker Express in Monroe NC does what you are asking about. You could look into them and see what you find.

Thank you so much. Meanwhile men have told me that Road Runner and Pitt Ohio do the same business. Have you heard anything about?

Pitt-ohio is on this message board. So is road runner. Road runner as a bunch of different companies also. They are pretty big. Looks like they do run most of the United States.

I know nothing about Road Runner but I don't think that they have much activity here. If Pitt Ohio does that it would be news to me. A. Duie Pyle has some knowledgeable people on here and they might get into some of that, they certainly have the capabilities.

I know nothing about Road Runner but I don't think that they have much activity here. If Pitt Ohio does that it would be news to me. A. Duie Pyle has some knowledgeable people on here and they might get into some of that, they certainly have the capabilities.
Road runner is in all them trucking mags that are free at the truck stops. They have refrigerated devision that runs from Ohio west and back.
https://www.rrts.com/

Thank you so much. Meanwhile men have told me that Road Runner and Pitt Ohio do the same business. Have you heard anything about?
Averitt Express, Roadrunner, Go2 Logistics, Amerifreight,are just a few who do what you speak of, along with a few hundred 3rd party logistics operators around the country like, CH Robinson, Freightquote, Echo logistics, Global, Transac, and Werner to name a few, who use a lot of owner operators to pickup and deliver.