XPO | Disparate Overtime Policy

JstBlendinIN

TB Lurker
Credits
This is a subject that has been a topic of discussion for a while now.
If you work for XPO LTL anywhere in the southern region, and your service center sic
code starts with an N or L, you may or may not know that service centers in 2/3 of the
country with sic codes that start with X or U get paid overtime that the southern region
does not. In other regions, any time worked over 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week
is time and a half. As you know, in the southern region we have to work a full 50 hours
before any OT is paid. It seems that as we are all XPO employees, it would only be fair
to have OT paid evenly throughout the company. We are told often that we are one
company. We have one company handbook. We are offered the same benefits and
contribute the same for them. If you think XPO should pay overtime equally across all regions, please comment.

We are told here at XPO LTL we are one company. We have one system with three
regions. Understandably, hourly wages for drivers vary throughout the country, for many
reasons. What is not clear to drivers in the southern region is how management can tell
us we are one company yet have different overtime policies for our region. When we
ask why we do not get overtime like the rest of the company, we are shut down or given
illogical answers. We would like to ask that we be compensated for our overtime the
same as drivers in other regions or at least be given a logical reason ( from the corporate level) as to why policy is so disparate in the southern region.

If you work for XPO LTL anywhere in the southern region, and your service center sic
code starts with an N or L, you may or may not know that service centers in 2/3 of the
country with sic codes that start with X or U get paid overtime that the southern region
does not. In other regions, any time worked over 8 hours per day or 40 hours per week
is time and a half. As you know, in the southern region we have to work a full 50 hours
before any OT is paid. It seems that as we are all XPO employees, it would only be fair
to have OT paid evenly throughout the company. We are told often that we are one
contribute the same for them. If you think XPO should pay overtime equally across all regions, please comment.

regions. Understandably, hourly wages for drivers vary throughout the country, for many
reasons. What is not clear to drivers in the southern region is how management can tell
us we are one company yet have different overtime policies for our region. When we
ask why we do not get overtime like the rest of the company, we are shut down or given
illogical answers. We would like to ask that we be compensated for our overtime the
same as drivers in other regions or at least be given a logical reason ( from the corporate level) as to why policy is so disparate in the southern region.
Strictly......because they don't have to pay us overtime. This has been an issue for decades and it will never change. We've been told it helps drivers make more money because we can work more hours...it's the market.....the company can't afford it...we've heard it all.

Haha....I don't work for competitors. I still get more vacation than our competition, which is what all the other regions of XPO get. Our "competition" doesn't pay ot up north/out west either.
I guess I wasn’t clear do other companies pay it, are we the only ones not paying it?

I agree we should all get paid ot after 8. I also think I should get the same hourly and mileage pay as the two service centers near me (50 Miles), but I don’t. And the reason. As Joe said, they don’t have to, or, they only need to pay us market value.

I see you point and agree with you. Now lets take it evener farther. A quote from the employee handbook Section 8 page 32
"Based on past practice, DSRs at former CSE locations (SIC
code starting with “L” or “N”) will be paid a premium for each
PTO day taken as outlined below."

If I'm reading this right you at sic codes L and N get paid more for ever hour of pto you take
"DSRS @ FORMER CSE LOCATIONS PAY MULTIPLIER FOR EACH HOUR
OF ACCRUED TIME HOURS PAID PER 8 HOUR PTO DAY TAKEN"

as an explain for a DSR with less than 8 years they are paid a multiplier for each hour at 1.08333 or 8.6666 for 8 hours. When I take PTO at an "X" barn I get 8 hour or 27.69 x 8 = 221.52 were as you at the L and N barns 27.69 x 8.6666= 239.978154. That is differance of $92.30 for one week of vacation. That multiplier also increases with year of service. So no matter how many years I have I'm still be paid the same for 8 hour of PTO and at my current rate of 27.69 that is $221.52 were you get
less than 8yrs 8.6666---$239.97
8-15 years 8.75-----$242.28
15-20 years 8.8------$243.67
20 -25 yrs 8.8333--$244.59
over 25 yrs 8.8571--$245.25
Now you earn PTO at the same rate but get paid more when you take it.

Now there are many differences between the regions and sic X, N, L, and U and yes the OT being a big one. So I just saying if we are going to be fair then lets be fair and make everything the same across the board.

All this can be found in Chapter 7 section * of the employee hand book page 31

I see you point and agree with you. Now lets take it evener farther. A quote from the employee handbook Section 8 page 32
"Based on past practice, DSRs at former CSE locations (SIC
code starting with “L” or “N”) will be paid a premium for each
PTO day taken as outlined below."

If I'm reading this right you at sic codes L and N get paid more for ever hour of pto you take
"DSRS @ FORMER CSE LOCATIONS PAY MULTIPLIER FOR EACH HOUR
OF ACCRUED TIME HOURS PAID PER 8 HOUR PTO DAY TAKEN"

as an explain for a DSR with less than 8 years they are paid a multiplier for each hour at 1.08333 or 8.6666 for 8 hours. When I take PTO at an "X" barn I get 8 hour or 27.69 x 8 = 221.52 were as you at the L and N barns 27.69 x 8.6666= 239.978154. That is differance of $92.30 for one week of vacation. That multiplier also increases with year of service. So no matter how many years I have I'm still be paid the same for 8 hour of PTO and at my current rate of 27.69 that is $221.52 were you get
less than 8yrs 8.6666---$239.97
8-15 years 8.75-----$242.28
15-20 years 8.8------$243.67
20 -25 yrs 8.8333--$244.59
over 25 yrs 8.8571--$245.25
Now you earn PTO at the same rate but get paid more when you take it.

Now there are many differences between the regions and sic X, N, L, and U and yes the OT being a big one. So I just saying if we are going to be fair then lets be fair and make everything the same across the board.

All this can be found in Chapter 7 section * of the employee hand book page 31
I couldn't agree more..., this policy should be instituted across our company, but I would gladly give up that pto perk to get OT after 8/40.

That system was in place due to the fact that employees in the south earned less than the ones up north and out west. We were paid at 45 hours per week of vacation before we went to the PTO system. Even with me being topped out on vacation time, the extra I get on PTO, it doesn't put a dent in what I lose in upaid overtime. We only get about $115 to $120 per week of PTO which is less than $900 per year at 7 weeks.

I agree we should all get paid ot after 8. I also think I should get the same hourly and mileage pay as the two service centers near me (50 Miles), but I don’t. And the reason. As Joe said, they don’t have to, or, they only need to pay us market value.

There is a driver shortage. Capacity is tight. They are dictating rates. Revenue is astronomical.