R&L | "Distinguished driver award"? No thanks.

Warlock

Lord of the Bloody Cross
Credits
Got a message over the MDT saying I'm apparently up for the "distinguished driver award.

Big deal.

No thanks. They can shove that.

I don't need any damn "participation trophies", and I sure as hell don't need any kind of "award" to do something that all the other useless motherfuckers around this adult day care center have to be BEGGED to do, and that is simply my job.

I do a job FOR the company, and I get a paycheck FROM the company. That is ALL I require.

They wanna show "appreciation"? Get rid of the damn dead wood around here so those of us who DO actually work don't have to do the work of 3 or 4 other non-drivers PLUS some of the office idiots.

I don't need any damn "participation trophies", and I sure as hell don't need any kind of "award" to do something that all the other useless mother****ers around this adult day care center have to be BEGGED to do, and that is simply my job.

I do a job FOR the company, and I get a paycheck FROM the company. That is ALL I require.

They wanna show "appreciation"? Get rid of the damn dead wood around here so those of us who DO actually work don't have to do the work of 3 or 4 other non-drivers PLUS some of the office idiots.
Amen, driver. We are expected to do everyone else's job because everyone else is too damn lazy to do it right. We get ::shit:: for telling them they're doing it wrong, then we get ::shit:: when their laziness finally bites them. Paperwork. Route planning. And more, depending on what part of the industry you work in.

Oh yeah, and we've gotta drive a tractor trailer in a safe and timely fashion. Don't forget that part, lest some genius with a clipboard and a college degree remind you that the way you've been safely doing things for the past 30 years is wrong.

Let's face it. There are a lot of driver's out here doing as much as they can TO DO AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. I try not to let that affect me. I make it my policy to do my job to the best of my ability then go home. R+L doesn't mess with my thing. I try to stay positive.

Got a message over the MDT saying I'm apparently up for the "distinguished driver award.

Big deal.

wait a minute..let me get this straight..your complaint is that the company gave a safe driving award that only a small percentage of drivers get..due to the fact it is difficult to achieve? I agree you need to go in there and tell them that you don't want it, then go out and get a preventable accident so that this travesty doesn't happen again,or better yet go to another company that wont disrespect you like this.

wait a minute..let me get this straight..your complaint is that the company gave a safe driving award that only a small percentage of drivers get..due to the fact it is difficult to achieve? I agree you need to go in there and tell them that you don't want it, then go out and get a preventable accident so that this travesty doesn't happen again,or better yet go to another company that wont disrespect you like this.
Spoken like a true company snitch.

If someone were to come from WIL and handle it, I might be somewhat more accepting of this farcical display of faux "driver appreciation.

However, the fact that either of the city dispatchers have to be involved makes it such a revoltingly disingenuous charade as to turn my stomach. I want NOTHING from either one of those two idiots.

Spoken like a true company snitch.

If someone were to come from WIL and handle it, I might be somewhat more accepting of this farcical display of faux "driver appreciation.

However, the fact that either of the city dispatchers have to be involved makes it such a revoltingly disingenuous charade as to turn my stomach. I want NOTHING from either one of those two idiots.
I cant understand why you constantly talk about management like they are they enemy? Your only option is to call WIL and tell them that unless they fly in from Wil and give it too you that you don't want I,and that no one at your terminal is worthy enough to give it to you,then otherwise you will not accept it or will be returning it do to your elite status as a driver

You should find out exactly what the award is for. Safe driver award is reaching 25000 hrs safe driving in the city or one million miles in linehaul. The determination on if you are eligible for this award is made in Wilmington. I don't think local dispatch has any say in it.
If it is the above award, somebody from safety dept will be presenting to you.

In this industry, such a award is actually a big deal. Congratulations to you on reaching this milestone.

You should find out exactly what the award is for. Safe driver award is reaching 25000 hrs safe driving in the city or one million miles in linehaul. The determination on if you are eligible for this award is made in Wilmington. I don't think local dispatch has any say in it.
If it is the above award, somebody from safety dept will be presenting to you.

In this industry, such a award is actually a big deal. Congratulations to you on reaching this milestone.
Much obliged. :encouragement:

Problem is though, Knucklehead asked me for my ring and jacket size. I know they ain't got no say innit, but I want no parts of anything of the sort from someone I truly detest.

I cant understand why you constantly talk about management like they are they enemy? Your only option is to call WIL and tell them that unless they fly in from Wil and give it too you that you don't want I,and that no one at your terminal is worthy enough to give it to you,then otherwise you will not accept it or will be returning it do to your elite status as a driver
They ARE the enemy.

Anyone who doesn't believe there are those in the office who have their lists of drivers that they cater to, and those they wanna single out for more work, is naive at best.

I will NOT accept handouts from those who play these type of games.

They ARE the enemy.

Anyone who doesn't believe there are those in the office who have their lists of drivers that they cater to, and those they wanna single out for more work, is naive at best.

I will NOT accept handouts from those who play these type of games.

I believe you are one hundred percent correct in the above statement. I have witnessed it first hand at my yard.
BUT
They cant just hand out these rings and jackets to their favorites. They have to award them to drivers that have earned them.
My point is they are probably really pissed off that you are getting this award.
In my opinion, a great opportunity to rub their faces in it.
Just saying....:stirthepot:

I believe you are one hundred percent correct in the above statement. I have witnessed it first hand at my yard.
BUT
They cant just hand out these rings and jackets to their favorites. They have to award them to drivers that have earned them.
My point is they are probably really pissed off that you are getting this award.
In my opinion, a great opportunity to rub their faces in it.
Just saying....:stirthepot:
True dat...:6799:

I recieved mine on linehaul, but its all the same....presentation, I mean. You'll get your awards handed to you by the head of safety, and he does come from Wilminton to your terminal just for the purpose of handing you the award. You will then get a picture taken of you and TM for a wall at corporate of distinguished drivers. Congrats on it.

Big deal.

Sling Blade, you may want to reconsider. The wife and I retired Jan. 2010. In 2008 she got her Distinguished Driver Award. I got mine the next fall . I should have gotten mine with her, but a non preventable was ruled preventable by a different safety man, meaning I had to drive 9 more months to get my million. I was not real pleased. And believe me we were not ass kissers. We just did our job every week like the rest of the teams, and went home. My point is no matter how much you hate the people you work for, YOU EARNED this award. You could look at it that you got the award in spite of the folks you work for. And another thing to consider, if you ever get fed up with R&L enough to quit, that 1,000,000 mile award goes a long way in getting another job.I still wear the ring with pride, and have the plaque on the wall , because I EARNED it. In spite of, idiots on the road, or impossible dispatch schedules, or patched together old tractors, or all the other crap you have to deal with. So please reconsider and accept the award. Be safe another million miles, an old retired guy.