New Penn | diversion of work

samson

TB Lurker
Credits
do all new penn terminals sub-contract/interline or "divert" work away from the bargaining unit employees on a daily basis?

I believe the question here is New Penn interlining freight while they have laid off employees sitting at home that could be doing this work. Looking for feedback if this is a system wide problem or isolated to one terminal?

baltimore gives all their eastern shore freight to triglia transport and gives all their dc freight to capital express. is this what your asking?

Well if I get his question right.No they cannot give freight away that they normally service while men are on lay off status but freight that they normally interline because they do not actually deliver a certain area then that is still OK even if men are on layoff. Hope that came out right. Another guy gave a good example with DC and Eastern shore areas. If they are doing it then the steward needs to file a grievance for the men that are off.But to be honest If I was on layoff and they did that I would be mad and want a grievance filed for them to stop it but I would not want the days pay because it would interfere with my unemployement compensation. At least here in Pennsylvania it does.Hope that helps answer your question.

baltimore gives all their eastern shore freight to triglia transport and gives all their dc freight to capital express. is this what your asking?

Nightowl thanks for your reply. Do they continue to give this freight away when men on layoff are not working? If so has the union made any efforts to stop this practice?

i'm not to sure. i've been on the road since i've been here and i would have to ask around but i can't recall anyone in baltimore being laidoff in the 7 years i've been here. we have about a 15 man extra board in the city and when it's slow they just don't work the bottom guys. but they still give the work away. also from what i understand before i started here years ago new penn used to run dc, but i heard the city shop sreward help to give the freight away to capital. i guess no one wanted to run dc.

Well if I get his question right.No they cannot give freight away that they normally service while men are on lay off status but freight that they normally interline because they do not actually deliver a certain area then that is still OK even if men are on layoff. Hope that came out right. Another guy gave a good example with DC and Eastern shore areas. If they are doing it then the steward needs to file a grievance for the men that are off.But to be honest If I was on layoff and they did that I would be mad and want a grievance filed for them to stop it but I would not want the days pay because it would interfere with my unemployement compensation. At least here in Pennsylvania it does.Hope that helps answer your question.
they have given this freight away as long has i've been here and even longer. not exactly sure how long though. i will ask around and try to get the scoop. so i guess by what your saying they could continue to due so even with men on layoff.

im outta Maspeth, been here about 5 yrs and they have never laid a guy off. the only ones that have been laid off are the dockmen. we got 2 out now. just like someone already posted, when it's slow they usually don't work the bottom guy or guys. usually those guys are casuals anyway. i do understand that due to the problems delivering in the NYC garment district, that work is ALWAYS given away. i believe our Local and the Co. have an agreement with that area.

diversion of work with layoffs

We currently have 4 guys on lay off (and not working) while the company continues to give work away. (about 30-40 bills per day)
I want to know if other terminals use this
practice and divert the work (and get away with it)

We currently have 4 guys on lay off (and not working) while the company continues to give work away. (about 30-40 bills per day)

We can't seem to give you an answer that you want so just file a grievance and let your BA give ya the answer.

First, is the freight that is interlined included in your normal service area ? If they interline freight that NPME has not ever serviced, Canada or other remote NY southern tier areas, then the practice will continue even though men are on lay-off.
Are these men on lay-off just 10 percenters, or is there an actual lay-off notice posted on the board ?
All freight companies are slow right now, when business levels come back, which they will, everyone will be asking for less O/T and complaining of too much work. Freight industry is always up and down, so take the good with the bad and learn to compenstate for those times.

Laid off 26 city drivers and dock men including myself in Boston Wednesday. They Have Ross and Tracey's deliver frieght out our service area regardless of layoffs.

Have your steward file a greivence for the yard work,pvd,sth , spg do all thier own yard work won through greivences this would wake them up !!!!!!!!

most freight that is given away is outside our basic service area, or 45min. to an hour or more outside of any city routes general area.which probaly means, someone would run that distance and than come back to area and waste all that time and not make any pick/ups. p/u's is where the money is for each terminal, not del's. most likely no salesman in that area, or there is no business in these areas, or the kind that generates steady p/u's.another reason could be , where i delivered , food warehouse only took appt's. after midnight, npme not going to send trailer there with 2 skids for 80 miles and come home empty . why, cause you can't make money that way!!!most freight or all freight given to a cartage company is done so for a reason like i have stated. there are probably more reasons than i just gave, but hope you get the drift, i'm sure there will be some that dont get it, but ohh well. when they give freight away, it means they split terminals share of revenue with cartage carrier. if it was profitable to deliver it ourselfs and keep the total revenue , dont you think they would?you have 3-4 layed off at buffalo,now, could get rid of a few more if you stopped loading 30-40 bills a day to cartage company, in un-profiatable areas like your speaking of. cant believe how many people come from some where else and try to tell npme how to run the business, when there company has gone down the tubes. besides, when we start the interline stuff with holland 0n 1-29-07, freight is supposed to be transfered and received at buffalo , so your men should be back to work, if there is any pick up in freight.

Someone needs to read article 32 AND the letter of understanding:
1. must pay no less than economic equivalent of terms of agreement wages and benefits
2. must attempt to deliver freight/ same day subcontracted
3. sufficient economic justification develops
We need the contract enforced!

Someone needs to read article 32 AND the letter of understanding:
1. must pay no less than economic equivalent of terms of agreement wages and benefits
2. must attempt to deliver freight/ same day subcontracted
3. sufficient economic justification develops
We need the contract enforced!

unfortunately this part of the contract is almost NEVER enforced.