Yellow | Diverting freight for "deer season"??

Docksteward

Teamsters Local 71
Credits
Supervisor told us in our preshift meeting today that we were going to be busy for awhile because hunting season had opened up and they were sending more freight through 671?!? He said it was comming through us instead of breaking it "up north"?!? That is one of the strangest reasons for diverting freight that I have ever heard, and yes we have been pretty busy the last couple of days. Still not calling in any "help", ie laidoff men. Just forcing OT to all shifts. DS.

Well from one of those "up north" people, I can tell you we take deer season seriously up here. Many places even give their employees opening day (Nov.15) off!

As a side note : My nephew got his first deer this year. A nice spike! He was one excited young man...LOL

We do alot of hunting down here also, but I don't remember RDWY saying, "Well since our guys want to hunting, we're going to change the freight flow". Sounds a little suspect, but that's just me!! DS.

Well at the 120, we have a free book off evry30 days that enables us to take up to 48hrs off without any discipline. I don't hunt, but alot of guys do here. So I would assume alot are booking off.

Deer season

Yo DS b/4 the change we would always run to 153 when deer season kicked in. There would be 4-5 guyz running especially during that weekend which was a good paying turn from 657.

Heck you hear the gun shots from I-70 :hysterical: up in the mountains tryin to bag a 8 pointer for that Thanksgiving table.

Supervisor told us in our preshift meeting today that we were going to be busy for awhile because hunting season had opened up and they were sending more freight through 671?!? He said it was comming through us instead of breaking it "up north"?!? That is one of the strangest reasons for diverting freight that I have ever heard, and yes we have been pretty busy the last couple of days. Still not calling in any "help", ie laidoff men. Just forcing OT to all shifts. DS.

DS, Hunting is so big to these guys that I've been told they actually have language in their supplement allowing for more than the 10% of the employees to take vacation during this time.
What I heard is that this applies to the Pennsylvania area.

Anyone got any additional information about this?

In Wisconsin the blind can hunt legally. Maybe it's just me but I've seen more deer dead and alive this past few months than I ever have.

OK it makes sense to me now. With the COO, RDWY can't run the freight through some of the other BB's now like they did before, so now we get it and I do now. Thanks guys! :1036316054: DS.

DS, Hunting is so big to these guys that I've been told they actually have language in their supplement allowing for more than the 10% of the employees to take vacation during this time.
What I heard is that this applies to the Pennsylvania area.

Anyone got any additional information about this?
My drivers pouch is in the car, but I'm almost positive that it is indead in our supplemental.

Just back from my "13" days off for deer hunting. This isn't anything new for 313, WI takes opening weekend very seriously. Its like going to church on Sundays. Not that I go to church.
We have 17 on Vacation and probably another 50 on sickday off that weekend. They just divert it every year for that reason.

All the cars parked on I80 makes me a little nervous. Might mistake the little wimper of our trucks engine for a deer and take a crak at me.

Screwy, Gunfire from the big road, thats nothing.
Come on down to 411, You can hear it on the street in front of the term.

1/2 mile north of us,U.P.S.Freight, has to park trailers across the end of their yard. If they don't they take live fire on the dock.