XPO | Do we still hire CDL drivers?

Fishintx

TB Lurker
Credits
Rumor is in our barn that we no longer hire CDL drivers. We are going to rely on getting drivers from our schools. Any info? :hysterical:

Rumor is in our barn that we no longer hire CDL drivers. We are going to rely on getting drivers from our schools. Any info? :hysterical:

We are a school for all the other carriers. And I'm not even making that up. Most of them quit and move on to OD or southeastern and such. They waste so much money on training and are too pickey about hiring cdl drivers. What a waste.

why hire cdl drivers. If you werent hired as a driver like 5-10 yrs ago, no point. We need competent and efficient forklif operators today

Yes we still hire experienced drivers. Think about it, what does a small terminal without a school do when they need drivers? It's all in the requisition request. The problem for not just our company but the entire LTL industry is finding experienced, safe drivers. Our success at "growing our own" is why those locations with schools rely heavily on their instructors. If your terminal has experienced success with the school program than I would expect that to continue. Hiring "off the street" for a school location has become reactionary hiring... for whatever reasons the facility cannot wait to complete the 4 -5 month process of creating drivers. But even opening up requisitions for experienced drivers produces less than optimistic numbers of candidates. People with LTL experience on average do not shop for a different job within our industry.

FedEx Freight exec: Driver shortage won't spare LTL industry – DC Velocity

Contrary to what they will try to tell you no there isn't a line of people waiting to get in the door here. Of the ones that do apply many can't get past the interview much less the background check and drug test. The few that do get hired might make it a month if CON-way is lucky. The truth of the matter is in my area there aren't many people willing to give up having a life other than work and sleep. Very few don't want to have to deal with all the games and absolute **** that gets shoveled down your throat by management. At one time I thought I would retire from here. Now I'm just trying to hang in there for a few more years without the axe finding me until my kids are grown.

beerfd said:
We are a school for all the other carriers. And I'm not even making that up. Most of them quit and move on to OD or southeastern and such. They waste so much money on training and are too pickey about hiring cdl drivers. What a waste.

Yes they do waste a LOT of money but they need fresh meat too I guess. Here southeastern starts drivers at 19+ and .52+. Can't remember the exact numbers but it's well above our starting pay.

Yes we still hire experienced drivers. People with LTL experience on average do not shop for a different job within our industry.

Exactly. If you have experience or are already employed within this industry you are looking for anything else.

Contrary to what they will try to tell you no there isn't a line of people waiting to get in the door here. Of the ones that do apply many can't get past the interview much less the background check and drug test. The few that do get hired might make it a month if CON-way is lucky. The truth of the matter is in my area there aren't many people willing to give up having a life other than work and sleep. Very few don't want to have to deal with all the games and absolute **** that gets shoveled down your throat by management. At one time I thought I would retire from here. Now I'm just trying to hang in there for a few more years without the axe finding me until my kids are grown.

A ton of truth right there.

Most of the new hires trained in our barn quits in about a month. 4 just graduated from the truck driving school a few weeks ago and three are gone already... guess the blue goop didn't taste so good !!!

Most of the new hires trained in our barn quits in about a month. 4 just graduated from the truck driving school a few weeks ago and three are gone already... guess the blue goop didn't taste so good !!!

That CDL is good anywhere and anytime. And it belongs to YOU.

That CDL is good anywhere and anytime. And it belongs to YOU.
That is very true ... But its sad to know I personally waste my time to teach these new hires how to operate a truck in a city p&d environment and they just quit! This is how we roll in Tulsa, day after graduation- management gives the new driver a pos truck thats about to fall apart then he or she is blasted with a 53' van slammed to the back door! These peep's are so overwhelmed with that big trl they give up before they get started!

That is very true ... But its sad to know I personally waste my time to teach these new hires how to operate a truck in a city p&d environment and they just quit! This is how we roll in Tulsa, day after graduation- management gives the new driver a pos truck thats about to fall apart then he or she is blasted with a 53' van slammed to the back door! These peep's are so overwhelmed with that big trl they give up before they get started!

That time wasn't wasted. Driver, you got paid by the minute the whole time.

You need to teach them to do their best and bring back the rest.......LOL,LOL........works great for me.......

Con-Way does not care if they quit, every person that goes thru the school has to sign a contract for a year, if they leave before the year they are on the hook for $3500, they either get a driver out of it or they get compensated for the time and effort training them, either way, they win.

$3500 is a discount when Roadmaster is charging $7000. We lost another today. He said he is going to Estes. Because he got his CDL to be a truck driver. Go figure.

And we always Hire to many People only to do the Same Dumb **** again next year as most move on to Greener Pastures MMM wonder why my Dumb A didn't guess they got me to drink the Kool-aide !!!