Do you agree that underride guard standards are inadequate?

roadscholar88

TB Lurker
Credits
Do you agree that underride guard standards are inadequate? What options/changes do you think would increase the safety of these bumper guards? Finally, should side guards be required?

why don't we require that all car, mini van, motorcycle riders, and others, GO BACK to school and LEARN how to drive..??

why...??

cuz the trucking industry is a target for money, that's why..

every stinking time some one "wants to increase safety", or increase fuel economy, or reduce emissions, or help the industry for whatever ill gotten game plan they got, it COSTS US DOLLARS.......

why can't well enough be left alone..???

go ahead, promote "more safety items" for the industry, and when that 8 oz jar of peanut butter is GOING to cost YOU over $300 some day....be sure to pat yourself on the back...

i doubt you have any REAL world experience on the roads, other than to go to the lake for some fun and play, and stop off at a rest area for a pee....

now there's something you can work AGAINST......PEE BOMBS.....!!!!!

I don't understand how it's become the responsibility of the trucking industry to adopt safety standards that address the lack of driving skills of the general public. Put your phone down and try paying attention to the road instead of depending on my truck's safety features to prevent you from becoming the latest example of natural selection.

Do you agree that underride guard standards are inadequate? What options/changes do you think would increase the safety of these bumper guards? Finally, should side guards be required?

Yeah. Right. Let's also make the lanes on the road 30 feet wide. Put training wheels on anything with less Tham 18 wheels. And build highways that nothing else other than 18 wheelers can ride on.

America is constantly being dumbed down by all the useless restrictions and laws that are being labeled as safety regulations. My log book being one half hour off does not mean squat when some idiot runs up under my trailer or a blown tire takes out a windshield because the idiot driver of the car behind me was tailgating me to give him better fuel mileage or protect him from oncoming radar. Most of the safety regulations pertaining to trucks is like going to the doctor on a regular basis to maintain good health and then finding you have cancer. These safety regulations lull people into a false sense of safety. Another good example is going to a beach where lifeguards are in place. People still drown. Safety dies not replace good common sense.

The current standard underride bumpers were mandated long before cell phones became so prevalent. They were needed because too many people do not pay attention and wind up getting decapitated when their inattention resulted in them slamming into the back of a trailer. I also read recently that a company was sued after some dumbass in a Corvette drilled the back of a truck that had stopped for a traffic jam that was the result of another accident. It was claimed that it was the carrier's fault the Corvette was destroyed and the driver injured severely when it impacted the underride bumper at a speed several times the posted limit.

I truly believe that underride bumpers could be made that actually dragged the ground and someone would find fault with them.

Side impact protection? Come on. Where do we stop?

{Warning: The audio sucks!}

Last edited by a moderator: