Do you find the quality of truck drivers on the road to be decreasing?

roadscholar88

TB Lurker
Credits
Do you find the quality of truck drivers on the road to be decreasing? Do you think that the driver shortage is leading more carriers to hire less than qualified or unsafe drivers to meet capacity restraints? Do you feel 3pls are a factor in choosing the cheapest rate and not necessarily vetting out safe carriers?

no, rather i HAD SEN the decline as far back as the late 1990's. CDL was supposed to rid the industry of the bad ones, or so it was claimed to do.

Do you think that the driver shortage is leading more carriers to hire less than qualified or unsafe drivers to meet capacity restraints?
companies that are what we call, ":mega-carriers" have had a LONG history of hiring students right out of school with **** poor training, then put them with a some what qualified driver trainer and then set them free. there is no driver shortage, that is as contrived and made up as an employer screams he needs a driver NOW for a run or account, so there fore, he is "short" a driver, for that particular moment. other wise, with freight levels being what they are, why are some companies folding up. or laying off drivers, till things pick up again.>??

Do you feel 3pls are a factor in choosing the cheapest rate and not necessarily vetting out safe carriers?

a business needs to stay competitive, if given a choice of spending (say) $3.00 per mile against $1.50 per mile, the customer will choose the cheaper carrier to ensure a marginal profit level. always been that way. it's the blow-hards that own thier own trucks and claim that they charge high dollars and get them as they are better, safer and the customers want that...i say BS...customers want to save money, for THIER bottom line, they could give a flip about the trucker or the trucking company.

I find the quality of ALL drivers to be decreasing. But that would be a separate thread.

Ok, I'm back. What if DMV's or whatever they're called in your state would fail these bad drivers and give them a free month bus pass?...ok....I'm done.

Do you find the quality of truck drivers on the road to be decreasing? Do you think that the driver shortage is leading more carriers to hire less than qualified or unsafe drivers to meet capacity restraints? Do you feel 3pls are a factor in choosing the cheapest rate and not necessarily vetting out safe carriers?
GREETINGS roadscholar88,

[RANT ON]"quality of truck drivers" HAS decreased (to me since 2005) with the acceptance of these many FOREIGNERS that speaka littil inglis, when at all.
Trucking has become a ever increasing majority of ill mannered, disgusting, impolite, rude, offensive (listen to ANY conversation on Sesame Street/Chatter Box), outright annoying, ignorant dimwits/halfwits/idiots/imbeciles/morons/nitwits/nincompoops who think they're smart and safe.[RANT OFF]

There is only a "shortage" of WELL QUALIFIED/EXPERIENCED, COURTEOUS, SAFE, RELIABLE drivers.

There is NO shortage of UN QUALIFIED/EXPERIENCED, UNRELIABLE and UNSAFE drivers as the proof is in Trucking Accidents.

What do 3 p l's have to do with consistently cheap rates for HEAVY loads??
BROKErs (Cheap Haul Rob-u-some for 1) care not about "quality" of carriers, just that they will only pay the least money and many carriers will haul for cheap, especially the mega carriers.

Trucking ain't what it was and shall never again be.

Ok, I'm back. What if DMV's or whatever they're called in your state would fail these bad drivers and give them a free month bus pass?...ok....I'm done.
"Leave the driving to us...."
A "free" month bus pass might work in large cities yet in smaller cities and towns with limited/restricted/non bus routes, such "offer" would be useless.

Get yer doughnuts and mountain dew and take a break, jake.
CHEERS!!

I had a brass pole installed (and a rear veiw mirror )for the girls to show there stuff while traveling threw liFe.!..... those girls could pass the bottle too "I had to close one eye many a nighT !" Then, it all changed...pee test, camera equipment in truck, real smart dumbazzes in the office...... I decided to get a camper with a pole and parked it in Colorado.
.....pufff....pufff

Before the internet the exhibitionists were riding along side us at night with the dome light on......scroooo the internet.

Without a doubt.
Do you think that the driver shortage is leading more carriers to hire less than qualified or unsafe drivers to meet capacity restraints?
First I think you should address why we have a driver shortage. We have a driver shortage because the pay and conditions of work do not sufficiently compensate a competent person. Therefore the competent, qualified, quality personnel have left the industry and are not applying, That question is comparable to asking if the lettuce picker shortage is forcing farmers to hire migrant Mexicans to pick their lettuce.
Do you feel 3pls are a factor in choosing the cheapest rate and not necessarily vetting out safe carriers?
I think that 3PL's are the scourge of the earth and part of the problem. The other part of that problem has been addressed in that shippers don't care who hauls their freight, they want the cheapest price but want their freight there intact and on time. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

I recommend that anyone and everyone go spend a little bit of time in a truck stop at dinner time and check out the drivers. For those who are up there in years and haven't been to a truck stop in a long time it is quite an experience.

If truckers are losing ambition or the "drive" in terms of executing jobs on the road, they should go to the source and figure out the problem so they can find a solution. If a trucker is becoming more and more bored or losing interest, maybe that person can try something new by listening to an audiobook or creating another playlist with new songs. There's an app called Next Trucking that lets drivers choose their own rates and routes so you can choose where you want to drive which could be more exciting than before.

Make more at Toney's Pizza Palace...UBER pays good on weekends !!.
Just send your girl to college and stay home with the kiddies