FedEx Freight | Dock to Driver

Jeremy Lawson

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi, I have an opportunity to work for FedEx Freight as a dockworker. I already have a Class A CDL but I only have a tanker endorsement. I was just wanting to know if it usually takes a while before you can become a driver? Becoming a driver is my ultimate goal and just trying to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. Thanks

Depends on the center and their operational needs. Another factor is if there are people at the center ahead of you that would be interested in the position. In my drivers class, I met a couple people that were with the company a few months, others years, before being accepted into the program. Some people get lucky.

Another reality is your performance on the dock. If you're weak on the dock, your chances of driving diminish.

Either way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get all the required endorsements asap.

Depends on the center and their operational needs. Another factor is if there are people at the center ahead of you that would be interested in the position. In my drivers class, I met a couple people that were with the company a few months, others years, before being accepted into the program. Some people get lucky.

Another reality is your performance on the dock. If you're weak on the dock, your chances of driving diminish.

Either way, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get all the required endorsements asap.
I appreciate the info. Is working the dock fairly easy to catch onto? I'm assuming it can be fast paced at times.

I appreciate the info. Is working the dock fairly easy to catch onto? I'm assuming it can be fast paced at times.

It's easy as all you do is move freight, build a deck, secure the freight. It does get hectic, late arrivals, hot freight, gate times, freight blown out all over the dock lol. Working around however many people all trying to get their freight into the same trailer. It can be a clusterfuck.

Do you have forklift experience? It's a step above being a shipper/receiver. You're moving freight all night, and you have to move it with a sense of urgency.

It's challenging at first. But you get the hang of it.

It's easy as all you do is move freight, build a deck, secure the freight. It does get hectic, late arrivals, hot freight, gate times, freight blown out all over the dock lol. Working around however many people all trying to get their freight into the same trailer. It can be a cluster****.

Do you have forklift experience? It's a step above being a shipper/receiver. You're moving freight all night, and you have to move it with a sense of urgency.

It's challenging at first. But you get the hang of it.
Yeah, I've drove a forklift for about 11 years now. Nothing really fast paced but hopefully I'll catch on quickly. Thanks

Yeah, I would need to go through their training program. I just didn't want to get the endorsements and have to wait 2 years for a driving position to open.

I disagree. If you're going to work in this industry whether here, or another trucking company, you'll need them all.

You stand a much better chance going in prepared with all of your endorsements, especially haz-mat. Apply at all of the LTL's and see how you fare. They all accept students these days.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Unless you are going to work local P&D, are you ok with the prospects of working nights for the rest of your career?
If you mean for a road driver position I do believe it would take some getting used to. If I could stay on as a city driver I believe I'd be fine with it. But I wouldn't automatically be against driving at night. I really enjoy driving and meeting different people and I know city driving would require a lot of patience.