R&L | Dock to Driver

Jeremy Lawson

TB Lurker
Credits
I have an opportunity to become a dockworker for R&L and I’m wondering if there’s any chance that I could eventually become a driver. I already have a Class A CDL but I only have a tanker endorsement and limited experience. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

I have an opportunity to become a dockworker for R&L and I’m wondering if there’s any chance that I could eventually become a driver. I already have a Class A CDL but I only have a tanker endorsement and limited experience. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
How limited is your experience? Do they know you have a class A? You have to hold doubles/triples, tank, and hazmat endorsements to be employed, but I have seen them give a grace period of working you a few months without them if you promise to get them. Most service centers won't hire till spring time, but if they're short handed they may make an exception. Where are you at trying to get on? I will answer what I can for you. In general if they like you I'd say your chances of driving are good.

How limited is your experience? Do they know you have a class A? You have to hold doubles/triples, tank, and hazmat endorsements to be employed, but I have seen them give a grace period of working you a few months without them if you promise to get them. Most service centers won't hire till spring time, but if they're short handed they may make an exception. Where are you at trying to get on? I will answer what I can for you. In general if they like you I'd say your chances of driving are good.
Thanks for the reply. I’m going to be working mornings part time. The TM is aware that I have a CDL and basically said as long as I do my job that anything is possible. I’ll be working at the Chattanooga terminal. I actually called to see if they were needing anyone and told me to come in and apply. I go in tomorrow and do paperwork.

Thanks for the reply. I’m going to be working mornings part time. The TM is aware that I have a CDL and basically said as long as I do my job that anything is possible. I’ll be working at the Chattanooga terminal. I actually called to see if they were needing anyone and told me to come in and apply. I go in tomorrow and do paperwork.
Historically R&L has not used combo drivers which is where you work the dock part of your shift and drive part. We don't do like XPO, FedEx and a few others do where you run a linehaul, work the dock at another terminal then come back. Some terminals are starting the combo thing though. They do have a dock to driver program but that is geared to guys that don't have the CDL yet. I do not know if Chattanooga does combo.
I would get those endorsements ASAP though, they're easy to get. Even if R&L doesn't work out, most others are going to want them.
How much and what kind of experience do you have?.
R&L is a unique place to work. We get a bad rap sometimes, but the equipment is good, the pay is good, and if you do your job and don't whine and complain, they leave you alone.
The most important thing to remember working for them is this: they LOVE to step over dollars to pick up dimes & there are three ways to do things;
1) the RIGHT way
2) the WRONG way
3) the R&L way!

Do your job, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the money.

I am a city guy now, work M-F, 50-55 hours a week and grossed 80,000 this year. It's a good life, you just have to get in the swing of things. The terminal manager affects the environment greatly at each terminal.

Historically R&L has not used combo drivers which is where you work the dock part of your shift and drive part. We don't do like XPO, FedEx and a few others do where you run a linehaul, work the dock at another terminal then come back. Some terminals are starting the combo thing though. They do have a dock to driver program but that is geared to guys that don't have the CDL yet. I do not know if Chattanooga does combo.
I would get those endorsements ASAP though, they're easy to get. Even if R&L doesn't work out, most others are going to want them.
How much and what kind of experience do you have?.
R&L is a unique place to work. We get a bad rap sometimes, but the equipment is good, the pay is good, and if you do your job and don't whine and complain, they leave you alone.
The most important thing to remember working for them is this: they LOVE to step over dollars to pick up dimes & there are three ways to do things;
1) the RIGHT way
2) the WRONG way
3) the R&L way!

Do your job, don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy the money.

I am a city guy now, work M-F, 50-55 hours a week and grossed 80,000 this year. It's a good life, you just have to get in the swing of things. The terminal manager affects the environment greatly at each terminal.
Thanks again for replying. I mostly have straight truck experience. The manager did mention a training program so I really hope I can do that. I guess time will tell. It would be nice to make what you’re making.

I’ve mostly drove 26’ straight trucks working for industrial supply companies delivering pipe and other various things.
You're welcome, you've thanked me twice and I've been rude.
Our rates vary by region, but top rate where I'm at is 28.17 an hour, no OT. Some scream about no OT, but I feel it works out as they don't scream when I get over 40 hours. City work is M-F. Takes three years to top out. Linehaul pays flat rate per trip, averaged .55-.57 cpm but dome runs pay better some less, depends on terminal. No extras on linehaul for dropbhook or delay other than breakdowns (after 2 hours). What you were doing will translate well into city p&d. Multiple stops, dealing with customers, time management skills, thinking ahead. Mostly dock and lift gate deliveries. You would have to buy a pallet jack which other companies don't make you do, but it is yours and yours alone and gets locked up every night. We do some inside deliveries, depends on run. Most city runs are life bids. You bid it and get it, you stay on it till you quit , get fired, retire, or decide you want off of it. As low seniority in the city you will float where they need you and could get forced to do a linehaul run if needed. Other than our team drivers and system drivers all our linehaul is out and back same day (unless you get caught in weather like in a blizzard they might have you get a room). Even if you run out of hours coming back in, they will come get you and the truck with a legal driver. Feel free to ask anything else. Send a private message if you want

You're welcome, you've thanked me twice and I've been rude.
Our rates vary by region, but top rate where I'm at is 28.17 an hour, no OT. Some scream about no OT, but I feel it works out as they don't scream when I get over 40 hours. City work is M-F. Takes three years to top out. Linehaul pays flat rate per trip, averaged .55-.57 cpm but dome runs pay better some less, depends on terminal. No extras on linehaul for dropbhook or delay other than breakdowns (after 2 hours). What you were doing will translate well into city p&d. Multiple stops, dealing with customers, time management skills, thinking ahead. Mostly dock and lift gate deliveries. You would have to buy a pallet jack which other companies don't make you do, but it is yours and yours alone and gets locked up every night. We do some inside deliveries, depends on run. Most city runs are life bids. You bid it and get it, you stay on it till you quit , get fired, retire, or decide you want off of it. As low seniority in the city you will float where they need you and could get forced to do a linehaul run if needed. Other than our team drivers and system drivers all our linehaul is out and back same day (unless you get caught in weather like in a blizzard they might have you get a room). Even if you run out of hours coming back in, they will come get you and the truck with a legal driver. Feel free to ask anything else. Send a private message if you want
Thanks. I was told as of right now there are only 4 guys working the am dock shift and I’m not sure how many work the evening shift. I’m hoping that will make my chances better since they seem to run pretty lean on people.

Thanks. I was told as of right now there are only 4 guys working the am dock shift and I’m not sure how many work the evening shift. I’m hoping that will make my chances better since they seem to run pretty lean on people.
Copy that, that's a pretty small inbound shift. Things may operate a little differently in a smaller terminal. Keep me posted.

1) the RIGHT way
2) the WRONG way
3) the R&L way!

TED!, you have it figured out at R+L! Best one I've heard to date! LOL. Thanks for the chuckles I got from your post. This sounds sarcastic but its not. Never seen anyone hit the nail on the head as close as you had in your explaining of what its like here. I too am living it up here. CHEERS!

1) the RIGHT way
2) the WRONG way
3) the R&L way!

TED!, you have it figured out at R+L! Best one I've heard to date! LOL. Thanks for the chuckles I got from your post. This sounds sarcastic but its not. Never seen anyone hit the nail on the head as close as you had in your explaining of what its like here. I too am living it up here. CHEERS!
Thank you, thank you very much! I reply in my best Elvis voice. I just keep smiling and drop the pay envelope every Friday, as long as it doesn't bounce, I just keep doing it the R&L way!