SAIA | Dock will placard all loads

I would rather placard it myself. There was a story a few years back, about a construction site in NYC where the crew placed radioactive placards on a storage trailer just to keep people out. Well somebody decided to report it and they busted the construction company for falsifying documents.

I would rather placard it myself. There was a story a few years back, about a construction site in NYC where the crew placed radioactive placards on a storage trailer just to keep people out. Well somebody decided to report it and they busted the construction company for falsifying documents.

I agree. I would rather placard my own trailers too. The only terminals that i know of that will placard for you is DLS and GRL. There may be others, I don't know. The thing that dispatch could really help with is making UN placards to help get us out on time sometimes. Nonetheless, placarded or not, we as drivers have to make sure the placards are right before we pull outta there.

I have a simple question.
Why not let the dock personal and the safety department placard the loads as the LAW say it has to be done?
If they placasrd the load as the law dictates , then the trailer(s) should be ready to leave the yard before you get the bills or hook the pups.
If this is done according to the law, then it should not cause any delay leaving. CORRECT?
You Should be able to receive your bills check the hazmat bills and verify the placards and then leave.Sounds simple to me.......

I have a simple question.
Why not let the dock personal and the safety department placard the loads as the LAW say it has to be done?
If they placard the load as the law dictates , then the trailer(s) should be ready to leave the yard before you get the bills or hook the pups.
If this is done according to the law, then it should not cause any delay leaving. CORRECT?
You Should be able to receive your bills check the hazmat bills and verify the placards and then leave.Sounds simple to me.......

That would be ideal, but the culture of the company is to pass as much as possible to the next person in line and let them do it. As usual, stuff rolls down hill and guess where the driver finds his or herself?

instigator sure I guess its the law but if you want your job as a saia driver you might want to start to placard your trailers yourself if it is not done. Me as a driver who is respnsible for my load am not gonna blame someone else because my trailer or trailers were not placarded You can and then explain well by law, times are hard and if you find it hard to do just a little extra someone wont. Teamwork fellas thats how we get down in NRF!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way our linehaul guys placard thier own trailers with no problem........

So it's okay to load a trailer with haz mat at a terminal and let it just sit there with no placards, but if one comes in with haz mat and placards, the placards can't come off untill the unit is unloaded? The end result is that you have two trailers in the dock, and lawfully one has to have placrds while the other does not..... I read it differently. ::shit::

US federal law require's the transport vehicle to be placarded when an applicable amount of haz mat is loaded, (keyword here LOADED) that doesn't mean to wait before it's ready to actually hit the road..which could be several hours or more. Don't get your feathers ruffled, I'm not arguing by any stretch of your imagination. Post the section from the federal haz mat rulebook that you are referring to for clarity and for my benefit. Thanks.

Also too, where is any false info that could get someone fired?

3312520042_f075b71398_o.jpg

cokeman77 I can see you must be one of the management that monitor this site, by law it is the companies responsibility to placard a load when freight is put on trailor, even when sitting at dock and unplacard trailor when hazmat is removed, if you have any questions, you should have a green or yellow hazmat book, that has laws at your terminal, if you have one.

instigator sure I guess its the law but if you want your job as a saia driver you might want to start to placard your trailers yourself if it is not done. Me as a driver who is respnsible for my load am not gonna blame someone else because my trailer or trailers were not placarded You can and then explain well by law, times are hard and if you find it hard to do just a little extra someone wont. Teamwork fellas thats how we get down in NRF!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way our linehaul guys placard thier own trailers with no problem........

OK let us look at "team work"
Did you ever stop and think just maybe upper management is not aware of all the "let the driver do it" idea that local management has had for years.
Ok The Safety Department wants the dock to do what "THEY" ARE SUPPOSED TO DO.
Do you think that a problem can ever get corrected if some drivers keep on doing the
job for the dock supervisors.
So this is what I see: The Safety department wants to bring the company in compliance as to the law, and some drivers want to keep doing it for the dock.By helping the safety Department correct the problem, you are helping the company protect it's assets against law suits and fines from osha and anyone that should get injuried from an accident.
So you can also say being a team player is to notify safety when the company is in violation
and help them protect the company and it's assets or you can kiss up to local management
and keep lisitening to "team player" excuses that we have been hearing for years.
From what I understand this new direction came from way above Phil Jennings.
Do what you want, I Hope you help safety follow the LAW and Company Policy.

OK let us look at "team work"
Did you ever stop and think just maybe upper management is not aware of all the "let the driver do it" idea that local management has had for years.
Ok The Safety Department wants the dock to do what "THEY" ARE SUPPOSED TO DO.
Do you think that a problem can ever get corrected if some drivers keep on doing the
job for the dock supervisors.
So this is what I see: The Safety department wants to bring the company in compliance as to the law, and some drivers want to keep doing it for the dock.By helping the safety Department correct the problem, you are helping the company protect it's assets against law suits and fines from osha and anyone that should get injuried from an accident.
So you can also say being a team player is to notify safety when the company is in violation
and help them protect the company and it's assets or you can kiss up to local management
and keep lisitening to "team player" excuses that we have been hearing for years.
From what I understand this new direction came from way above Phil Jennings.
Do what you want, I Hope you help safety follow the LAW and Company Policy.

I would then have to say that if this directive came from "high up" their "follow-up" is very very poor. All you have to do is spend a few minutes on a yard to see who's doing the placarding. Safety relying on drivers to tattletell is ridiculous. If they want to get to the bottom of who's placarding, then they would in my opinion.

Let's agree that the dockworker should be the one placarding the load, and the driver is the one that should have to double check that they were done and done right. On the other hand.....who's had a bit too much to drink right now like me? And also...GOD bless our service men and women!

What I posted is the dot law, if you see it differently then your not following the law.

Post a link don't post false info that could get someone fired.

You are looking in wrong book, the DOT bood touches issue where you need to look in your hazmat book, should be large green or yellow book in office which specifies laws regarding hazmat:TR10driving03:

When I was At Saia, Trailers were never placarded, and my paperwork was not even red flagged on the bill even if it had any. They also ran out a lot of placards, I carried some of my own. The only correct way to placard a trailer is the way Conway does it. As soon as it is loaded, the loader does it right then and there and signs the bill that he did, not later. Then the clerk or supervisor or whoever keys in the paperwork red flags it. Now it is up to You as the Driver to make sure it is properly placarded. As far as taking them off , that is another story at Saia. How many times have you hooked up to an empty Trailer with them on it? The Yard jocky or the loader should remove, or flip them over before it is pulled away. Also How many times were you loaded with the old ones on it?

You are looking in wrong book, the DOT bood touches issue where you need to look in your hazmat book, should be large green or yellow book in office which specifies laws regarding hazmat:TR10driving03:

What I posted is straight from the DOT. It is a clarification of there rules.

When I was At Saia, Trailers were never placarded, and my paperwork was not even red flagged on the bill even if it had any. They also ran out a lot of placards, I carried some of my own. The only correct way to placard a trailer is the way Conway does it. As soon as it is loaded, the loader does it right then and there and signs the bill that he did, not later. Then the clerk or supervisor or whoever keys in the paperwork red flags it. Now it is up to You as the Driver to make sure it is properly placarded. As far as taking them off , that is another story at Saia. How many times have you hooked up to an empty Trailer with them on it? The Yard jocky or the loader should remove, or flip them over before it is pulled away. Also How many times were you loaded with the old ones on it?

Sounds like a good system but the problem with having the dock placard the trailer is if they can't flip the rear placard there is no point in flipping the other 3.

I would then have to say that if this directive came from "high up" their "follow-up" is very very poor. All you have to do is spend a few minutes on a yard to see who's doing the placarding. Safety relying on drivers to tattletell is ridiculous. If they want to get to the bottom of who's placarding, then they would in my opinion.

Are you saying that
The Safety Department Follow up is poor? and the drivers should not tattle?
HUM!!!
Just maybe this might explain why the terminals do just what "they"
want to do regardless of the company rules or Federal law.
Does local management report half truths to the safety department about drivers? have you seen drivers get terminated because of local management tatteling on drivers for every little thing?
OH!!! Things that happen to other drivers does not concern "YOU"
or affect "YOU"
If the terminals were forced to follow all the rules and laws, then just maybe drivers could defend them selves a little better.
Maybe if the drivers had the guts to stand up to the lies told by the terminal management, it would make it better for all concerned.
Remember some incident could happen involving you, then you would be glad that the terminals were folllowing the rules.
and all the lies would be exposed.

Do You really think Saia would fire an employee for complaining
that They did not follow thier own rules or the law. seems like they would be pretty stupid. don't you think?

Are you saying that
HUM!!!
Does local management report half truths to the safety department about drivers? have you seen drivers get terminated because of local management tatteling on drivers for every little thing?
or affect "YOU"
If the terminals were forced to follow all the rules and laws, then just maybe drivers could defend them selves a little better.
Maybe if the drivers had the guts to stand up to the lies told by the terminal management, it would make it better for all concerned.
Remember some incident could happen involving you, then you would be glad that the terminals were folllowing the rules.

that They did not follow thier own rules or the law. seems like they would be pretty stupid. don't you think?

Here is exactly what I am saying in case you didn't get it the first time... and no this not about ME...

If this was a company directive...I don't know this because I didn't see it...It is NOT being followed anywhere that I have been in the last month other than DLS and GRL. PERIOD. I run the system and I have been to several terminals. ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT SAFETY OR OTHER HIGHER UPS DON'T SEE THAT THIS IS THE CASE??? Can they be that blind? C'mon now...

My point is this, there are safety personel at some larger terminals that work at night, and you can bet that they see what is going on, or what is NOT going on in this case.

If this company, or any company changes a policy, or puts a new one in place, then it should be followed up to make sure it is implemented. That is not happening in this case, so I question whether it was a policy change. Like I stated above, I never saw anything in writing. Did you? If this company has that many terminals ignore a company directive,then we have a bigger problem.

Now then, if you or anyone else wants to report this safety, go ahead, no one is stopping you. As for ME, and I'm sure alot of others, I will continue to placard my trailers before I leave the yard.

One more thought on this...if the company wants the dock to placard the trailers, they should have sent this directive to the drivers, too. As a driver, if I had this, I would indeed be very vocal about it if it were not done.

Are you saying that
HUM!!!
or affect "YOU"

Just to set the record straight, Saia will fire an employee because Saia makes a mistake with a shipment. Dell computers will drop Saia if ANY computers are unaccounted for at delivery time. I know this because Saia had me deliver Dell computers on a Tuesday, then more computers on Thursday to the same place. The bills did not match because of the Tuesday delivery and Tim P had me fired. He also told me that me and the girl in recieving at the consignee had gotten caught, yet all the computers were there. She is still waiting for a phone call from me to have Tim P fired.

As a driver, if I had this, I would indeed be very vocal about it if it were not done.
Let me break this down a little bit lower,
first, I asked if any other driver ahs heard about this new rule.
I do not recall asking you to believe me did I?
Maybe you shoul call Phil J yourself and ask him, as I did.
He stated tht the dock is responsible for placarding the load before it leaves the dock.
so call him and ask him, the maybe you can the be vocal. right up until you TM tells you he is short on help, the usual excuse.
the we will see if you start reporting it.

Saia will fire an employee because Saia makes a mistake with a shipment

What does this have to do with Saia firing an employee for following thier own rules and or laws.
Maybe you should seek counsel as if they cannot prove you stole the shipment, then they are not justified in terminating you.
Have you tried Human resources department, I know for a fact that terminals report only the part that will take the heat off of them and get a employee fired, do you think they will say they did something wrong?