SAIA | Dock will placard all loads

I came over from FedEx, when a trailer is closed it is placarded before it leaves the dock. Reason being that when a trailer is parked in the yard it must display the hazard. (there is a law involved here). When a trailer is empty at the dock, all placards are removed before it leaves the dock. That is how they do it, and it works for them. In my humble opinion they are doing it the right way. It is our job as drivers to ensure the proper placards are on the trailer before we leave the yard. WE are the final check.

As a driver, if I had this, I would indeed be very vocal about it if it were not done.
Let me break this down a little bit lower,
first, I asked if any other driver ahs heard about this new rule.
I do not recall asking you to believe me did I?
Maybe you shoul call Phil J yourself and ask him, as I did.
He stated tht the dock is responsible for placarding the load before it leaves the dock.
so call him and ask him, the maybe you can the be vocal. right up until you TM tells you he is short on help, the usual excuse.
the we will see if you start reporting it.

People are questioning you info b/c no one has seen a memo and us l/h drivers are still having to placard them ourselves at most terminals. If P.J. wants it done that way, he needs to send out a company wide memo so it can be posted up.

I came over from FedEx, when a trailer is closed it is placarded before it leaves the dock. Reason being that when a trailer is parked in the yard it must display the hazard. (there is a law involved here). When a trailer is empty at the dock, all placards are removed before it leaves the dock. That is how they do it, and it works for them. In my humble opinion they are doing it the right way. It is our job as drivers to ensure the proper placards are on the trailer before we leave the yard. WE are the final check.

That's the rule at FX, but more often than not it is not followed at my Terminal...... You better ck your paper work and make make sure the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed... It's your butt that will be in a sling if you don't....

It would be nice to know before hand that your trailers needed placards so that you could apply them when hooking up, not after you come back to the office for the paperwork and to IVR out.

With my luck I get the paperwork and find out that I need to make UN placards, and now we are late.

People are questioning you info b/c no one has seen a memo and us l/h drivers are still having to placard them ourselves at most terminals. If P.J. wants it done that way, he needs to send out a company wide memo so it can be posted up.

Thats my point, exactly. Until I see it in writing, it's business as usual. Put it in writing for all to see and I bet it gets done.

Saia will fire an employee because Saia makes a mistake with a shipment

What does this have to do with Saia firing an employee for following thier own rules and or laws.
Maybe you should seek counsel as if they cannot prove you stole the shipment, then they are not justified in terminating you.
Have you tried Human resources department, I know for a fact that terminals report only the part that will take the heat off of them and get a employee fired, do you think they will say they did something wrong?

I know you did not just ask what this has to do with with Saia firing and employee for following their own rules!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I did. FOLLOW THEIR RULES AND MAKE THE DELIVERY!! ME and the consignee reported the shortages, wrote it on the bull, got the exception number from dispatch, and I still got fired. I even showed dispatch that the count was wrong BOTH days before leaving the dock. Now please tell me what part of this did I do wrong.

I know you did not just ask what this has to do with with Saia firing and employee for following their own rules!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I did. FOLLOW THEIR RULES AND MAKE THE DELIVERY!! ME and the consignee reported the shortages, wrote it on the bull, got the exception number from dispatch, and I still got fired. I even showed dispatch that the count was wrong BOTH days before leaving the dock. Now please tell me what part of this did I do wrong.
That is right
Best thing to do is "CYA" all the time
be able to prove what you did and did not do with signatures, and documentation etc
If Jennings put or the rule and the terminals did not wat to do it would they just tell him NO or would they fail to tell the drivers etc.

That is right
Best thing to do is "CYA" all the time
be able to prove what you did and did not do with signatures, and documentation etc
If Jennings put or the rule and the terminals did not wat to do it would they just tell him NO or would they fail to tell the drivers etc.

Some people can not read. What part of I DID ALL THE STEPS REQUIRED BY SAIA did you NOT understand????????? My ***** WAS covered. Saia misplaced the computers causing me to deliver a split shipment, DELL wants heads to roll when computers are involved so Saia fired ME. Not the dock man, not the line haul driver, not the dispatcher, nor the terminal manager, but ME. After EVERYTHING that was said BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER the delivery. I was fired. Good old Tim P said he did not believe my story yet it was documented on paper and by phone at the time of both deliveries.

Tim P said he did not believe my story yet it was documented on paper and by phone at the time of both deliveries.

Yes your right some people cannot read. Your stating that you covered yourself?
did you have a dock supervisor SIGN stating the shipment was shorted?
Did you call Human resources?
You had a supervisor sign a document stating that you were del only part of the shipment and they fired you?
Something really sounds strange about the story. hummmmm!!

Some people can not read. What part of I DID ALL THE STEPS REQUIRED BY SAIA did you NOT understand????????? My ***** WAS covered. Saia misplaced the computers causing me to deliver a split shipment, DELL wants heads to roll when computers are involved so Saia fired ME. Not the dock man, not the line haul driver, not the dispatcher, nor the terminal manager, but ME. After EVERYTHING that was said BEFORE, DURING, and AFTER the delivery. I was fired. Good old Tim P said he did not believe my story yet it was documented on paper and by phone at the time of both deliveries.

Have you lost it all????? I already stated WHAT I did BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the deliveries. The local dispatcher made notes, the local dispatcher said not to worry the dock man, and HR don't give a crap UNTIL the shipment is short. DUH!!!!! I did ALL the required steps to cover my ***** yet Tim P had me fired. By the way, you sound just like him making up things to do in these situations, AFTER they happen.

Have you lost it all????? I already stated WHAT I did BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the deliveries. The local dispatcher made notes, the local dispatcher said not to worry the dock man, and HR don't give a crap UNTIL the shipment is short. DUH!!!!! I did ALL the required steps to cover my *****

"The local dispatcher made notes"
"the local dispatcher" "said"

Just maybe that is the problem, Local dispatcher making "notes"
"DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF HIS NOTES WITH HIS SIGNATURE"
Local dispatcher "SAID"
Can you prove he "SAID"
SO maybe you did not do "ALL the required steps to cover my ***** "The key word is "PROVE"
maybe you should go back to "CYA" school. DUH!!!!!!!!

SO!!!! MAYBE YOU NEVER LOST IT AS YOU NEVER HAD IT TO START WITH!!!!

Have you lost it all????? I already stated WHAT I did BEFORE, DURING and AFTER the deliveries. The local dispatcher made notes, the local dispatcher said not to worry the dock man, and HR don't give a crap UNTIL the shipment is short. DUH!!!!! I did ALL the required steps to cover my *****

"The local dispatcher made notes"
"the local dispatcher" "said"

Just maybe that is the problem, Local dispatcher making "notes"
"DO YOU HAVE A COPY OF HIS NOTES WITH HIS SIGNATURE"
Local dispatcher "SAID"
Can you prove he "SAID"
SO maybe you did not do "ALL the required steps to cover my ***** "The key word is "PROVE"
maybe you should go back to "CYA" school. DUH!!!!!!!!

SO!!!! MAYBE YOU NEVER LOST IT AS YOU NEVER HAD IT TO START WITH!!!!

This is going to get me banned permanently but here goes. I DID ALL THAT WAS REQUIRED AT THAT TIME. YOU (OR) TIM P KEEP BEATING THE SAME OLD HORSE. DIDYOUDID YOUDIDYOU?????? DO YOU GET A SINGED STATEMENT FROM YOUR DISPATCHER ON EVERYTHING HE/SHE TELLS YOU TO DO???????? HELL NO!!!!!!!! YOU DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD AND GO ON. I HAVE STATED TIME AND TIME AGAIN THAT I DID EVERYTHING REQUIRED AT THAT TIME AND YET STILL LOST MY JOB. NOW I AM OVER IT AND JUST TRYING TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE KEEP THEIR JOB. ITS ABOUT TIME FOR YOU TO GET OVER IT NOW. IF YOU ARE WHO YOU SAY YOU ARE INSTEAD OF WHO YOU SOUND LIKE YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND SIMPLE ENGLISH AND NOT TALK IN CIRCLES.

Jeff. It's beem fun and I don't blame you for banning me. I will gladly take the blame. As I will always stand up for the working people of America.

No need for a ban, but did you see the username of the person you are arguing with? Seriously though...you guys need to take this to a pm, or drop the ::shit:: all together. I moderate my section more loosely than some, but this needs to come to a conclusion. You two are going to keep going round and round. Instigator and Othertrucker, please consider this the end of your merry go round about this.

No need for a ban, but did you see the username of the person you are arguing with? Seriously though...you guys need to take this to a pm, or drop the ::shit:: all together. I moderate my section more loosely than some, but this needs to come to a conclusion. You two are going to keep going round and round. Instigator and Othertrucker, please consider this the end of your merry go round about this.

Thanks DM. As far as I am concerned the conversation is over.

OTHERTRUCKER 2001

Yes this is over. I would also like to say
I was not trying to argue , but discuss.
I agree with you in all that you did.
YOU WERE THE ONE THAT LOCAL MANAGEMENT DID WRONG.
THEY LIED ETC, AS THEY ARE SO GOOD AT.
I WAS ONLY TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT WE (DRIVERS) CANNOT TAKE THE WORD OF LOCAL MANAGEMENT,AND APPOLIGIZE FOR
ANY MISUNDERSTANDING OR ILL FEELINGS.
YOU ARE A DRIVER AND WE HAVE TO STICK TOGATHER.
Have a great and blessed day.

instigator55.

Its all good here on this end. No hard feelings or ill wills here. You were doing the same as I, trying to help other drivers keep a job. I will never take the word of any management from now on. Rules are rules, but rule number one will always be rule number one. 1. CYA. 2. If rule number one does not work or apply, see rule number one.

In November 1988, six Kansas City firemen were killed when the arson-caused fire they were fighting caused the violent explosion of an unmarked truck-trailer parked at a highway construction site. Because the trailer's hazardous materials placards had been removed, the firemen were unaware of the danger it posed. The Secretaries of Labor, Transportation and the Treasury should cooperate in order to ensure that placards and labels required on hazardous materials and explosives, both in transportation and at stationary facilities, be retained until such materials have been removed to the extent that they no longer pose a safety risk.

In November 1988, six Kansas City firemen were killed when the arson-caused fire they were fighting caused the violent explosion of an unmarked truck-trailer parked at a highway construction site. Because the trailer's hazardous materials placards had been removed, the firemen were unaware of the danger it posed. The Secretaries of Labor, Transportation and the Treasury should cooperate in order to ensure that placards and labels required on hazardous materials and explosives, both in transportation and at stationary facilities, be retained until such materials have been removed to the extent that they no longer pose a safety risk.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Share on Facebook!
Edit/Delete Message

Been a few weeks since the last post...I still have to placard...Dock is too lazy to do it...Rather safe than sorry though

Yep. Been my experience too. Dock just ain't gonna do it. Heck I'm lucky if they have UN placards done for me. I almost always have to make those.