ODFL | Dock Work? How Long?

leftonred

TB Lurker
Credits
How long before you work on the docks until they let you drive? Do they train you to drive or do you just work off the docks and learn by other means? How much is the usual starting pay for dockworkers? Is it easier to have your CDL license beforehand then start as a dockworker? Alot of questions, I'm sorry. Thanks so much for any replies.

I'll answer in order but Service Center size does have a bearing.
1. If you have a clean CDL with all the endorsements you should be able to apply as a driver and bypass the dock.
2. ODFL does have a Driving School that is company funded but, you have to stay with the company for one year or you owe the cost of the school.
3. Full Time Dock (I believe)starts in the mid teens and more than likley it will be a night shift to start.
4. If you are looking to go right into driving then yes, it would be easier with license in hand and experience under your belt but if you have neither then starting as a Dockman may be your best bet.
Hope the info helped but for more info contact the nearest Service Center to you and ask a few questions. The driving schools are generally held at the larger facilities so keep that in mind as you will have to get yourself there but I believe OD picks up the tab for the lodging. Answered all to the best of my knowledge.
Mr Freeze

And yes, I really joined back in December of 06 but up to this point never posted or replied to a post. Don't ask me why today was the day for the first because I have no idea.
Mr Freeze

How long before you work on the docks until they let you drive? Do they train you to drive or do you just work off the docks and learn by other means? How much is the usual starting pay for dockworkers? Is it easier to have your CDL license beforehand then start as a dockworker? Alot of questions, I'm sorry. Thanks so much for any replies.

I believe Mr Freeze gave you some very good answers.Good luck and welcome to the forum leftonred.

And yes, I really joined back in December of 06 but up to this point never posted or replied to a post. Don't ask me why today was the day for the first because I have no idea.
Mr Freeze

Welcome to the forum Mr Freeze,glad to have you on board.Feel free to post anytime,you're among friends here.