Dock worker exodus

Discussion in 'XPO Logistics' started by sucker666, Jan 23, 2018.

1. sucker666

sucker666 Well-Known Member

Has any other location lost dock workers to higher paying competitors recently ?We are having a hard time keeping them at our location .Any suggestion what can be done to keep them?

2. whip1

whip1 Well-Known Member

Numerous warehouses I go to have dock workers wanting to work for us because of the pay. We lost a few when winter arrived, but otherwise no big exudous.

sucker666 and vppforme like this.
  3. upnorth

upnorth Super Moderator Staff Member

Most of them should go. :censored: are they useless loading freight properly.

4. sportsman800

sportsman800 Active Member

We have lost about ten since November to petsmart and kohls warehouses heared docks and a schedule is why they left

highspeeds and sucker666 like this.
  5. sucker666

I know Estes and Fedex just over $20 hr in our area. I also here that Amazon has a big pull do to the fact the pay is close enough and the work is in a climate controlled work place. I do not think we will see are product quality improve till we stabilize that workforce. Operating on a “ their replaceable “ as we are now is not substainble for the future.

icuicp and micshol like this.
  6. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the pathway to becoming a driver is more clearly defined at XPO'S competitors.

sucker666 likes this.
  7. trucknfool

trucknfool Well-Known Member

Why would anyone in their right mind want to work in this business if they can work in temperature controlled environment. Especially if the pay is getting to be more and more compatible. Heck , I am getting older, I would like to leave the industry myself!!!

8. wltdo

wltdo Active Member

I don't no but maybe how about no drug test ( only when hired) education,experience

9. whip1

whip1 Well-Known Member

Around here it seems like we’re one of the better paying companies.

10. mxblue

mxblue Member

Whats the range for dock?

11. whip1

whip1 Well-Known Member

Not positive, but I think starting is around $15.

sucker666 likes this.
  12. micshol

micshol Member

Here in the Midwest its starts 15-16 and top scale is $19.55

sucker666 likes this.
  13. trucknfool

trucknfool Well-Known Member

Other industries are stepping up pay in larger markets hopefully that trend will continue to other smaller segments. I sure would love to find the right opportunity to get out of Trucking for the time that I have left, witch is not too long.

14. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

$15.69 hr to start. In Midwest non-major markets.

How long does it take to top out? What is top out? Also , overtime is not until after 50hrs , right?

15. micshol

micshol Member

Top out takes 3 years. Any dockworkers hired after the new scales went into effect does not get overtime until after 50

highspeeds, sucker666 and icuicp like this.
  16. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

yea god for bid they get there azz off the forklift

17. Fly-by-night

Fly-by-night Only when you care to send the very best

Ask yourself:
    would you take a dollar less an hour to have a set schedule, 40hrs a week, OT after even 40hrs, cleaner working area, and a place were the wind, rain, and snow doesn't blow through.

18. sucker666

I think your right on the money with it . The weather conditions alone should set the pay well past other jobs. We do not
    Your right on the mark with that in my opinion. We can not keep most of dock workers past there first year and they have a graduated 3 yr pay scale . I guess that’s a win if you want to keep wages low. If some would stick around are damages would go down as they gain more experience.
    They are slowly integrating the dock workers into replacing early driver start times at our barn. Cheaper to pay them 16/hr then a senior driver top rate to work the dock. Our drivers will see a significant reduction in hours this year overall.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  19. icuicp

icuicp Well-Known Member

Any idea if dockworkers at other LTL' s get paid overtime after 8 and after 40? I'm guessing union dockworkers get it after 8 and after 40 but in my area you get the run-around being casuals.

With that said , even if some competitors pay more for dockworkers , are they giving them decent hours? Are they asking them to work the weekends? Do full time dockworkers get benefits?

20. sucker666

I know they don’t get O/t till after 50 with us which is a non starter in my opion at least give them it after 40. They do get benefits here. I know the guys here are getting hours because of the offset of using them in place of drivers is ramping up. I can not speak of the competitors but I do know we lose most of ours to them . It would be interesting to know what the competition is paying.