XPO | Dock worker exodus

I think your right on the money with it . The weather conditions alone should set the pay well past other jobs. We do not

Your right on the mark with that in my opinion. We can not keep most of dock workers past there first year and they have a graduated 3 yr pay scale . I guess that’s a win if you want to keep wages low. If some would stick around are damages would go down as they gain more experience.
They are slowly integrating the dock workers into replacing early driver start times at our barn. Cheaper to pay them 16/hr then a senior driver top rate to work the dock. Our drivers will see a significant reduction in hours this year overall.
Don't the drivers want the earlier start times?

Early in early out , right?

If it's hard to hang on to the dockworkers and drivers , shouldn't the drivers be the priority? Most new people would like earlier start times and seasoned city drivers usually want early start times yet they are being displaced by dockworkers on the early start times and STILL working a ton of overtime with a later start. This is a lose lose situation if you are a driver.

A two year dockworker can get a ten year drivers start time.

Bingo!
It will only make it even harder to hire drivers in the future. It may seem to be smart move if your looking to cut O/R but it will have it’s affect on morale.

If it's hard to hang on to the dockworkers and drivers , shouldn't the drivers be the priority? Most new people would like earlier start times and seasoned city drivers usually want early start times yet they are being displaced by dockworkers on the early start times and STILL working a ton of overtime with a later start. This is a lose lose situation if you are a driver.

Yes, I think earlier start times would be a benefit.

At our barn a two year dockworker can get a ten year drivers vacation slot

They eliminated some early start time this year and moved all driver forward 1/2 hr later stars and are hiring more dock workers to fill the early void
The drivers want the early start times

Last edited:
Other industries are stepping up pay in larger markets hopefully that trend will continue to other smaller segments. I sure would love to find the right opportunity to get out of Trucking for the time that I have left, witch is not too long.
I’m right there with ya, truckinfool. I have enough years in with the Union so I can exit anytime. I’d like to find something that’s not so rough on the ‘skeleton’ as this job is. It’s just a matter of finding the right fit.

At our barn a two year dockworker can get a ten year drivers vacation slot
Been here 5 years. I do get vacation bids based on my seniority in the dockworker classification. I don't know how it works in other locations. We have 2 calendars. One calendar is for DSR's only. Most weeks 6 drivers ar allowed off. With the exception of minor changes from year to year based on when we're busy, The count allowed off every week is the same as it was when I started. We have another calendar that the supervisors, office people, and dockworkers are on. We're pretty much allowed 2 dockworkers off on any given day of the year. I'm Senior so I do get whatever vacation I request. When I started dockworkers didn't even bid vacation because there was only a couple of us. Are terminal is not granting vacation to fewer drivers to accomadate the dockworkers. They are granting vacation to dock personal on top of what was already allowed for drivers.

Been here 5 years. I do get vacation bids based on my seniority in the dockworker classification. I don't know how it works in other locations. We have 2 calendars. One calendar is for DSR's only. Most weeks 6 drivers ar allowed off. With the exception of minor changes from year to year based on when we're busy, The count allowed off every week is the same as it was when I started. We have another calendar that the supervisors, office people, and dockworkers are on. We're pretty much allowed 2 dockworkers off on any given day of the year. I'm Senior so I do get whatever vacation I request. When I started dockworkers didn't even bid vacation because there was only a couple of us. Are terminal is not granting vacation to fewer drivers to accomadate the dockworkers. They are granting vacation to dock personal on top of what was already allowed for drivers.
What is the top out pay for dockworkers? And how much PTO can you get based on your years of service?

What is the top out pay for dockworkers? And how much PTO can you get based on your years of service?
Top pay is 19.55. Our PTO is the same as yours. People hired before PTO change will max at 7 weeks on the same schedule dsr's do. Ones hired after the change start at 12 days and max at 5 weeks

I know they don’t get O/t till after 50 with us which is a non starter in my opion at least give them it after 40. They do get benefits here. I know the guys here are getting hours because of the offset of using them in place of drivers is ramping up. I can not speak of the competitors but I do know we lose most of ours to them . It would be interesting to know what the competition is paying.
What are you guys going to do about dockworkers not getting OT? You organized, is that a priority?

I know they don’t get O/t till after 50 with us which is a non starter in my opion at least give them it after 40. They do get benefits here. I know the guys here are getting hours because of the offset of using them in place of drivers is ramping up. I can not speak of the competitors but I do know we lose most of ours to them . It would be interesting to know what the competition is paying.

Down in the south OD pays dock workers over 21 top out, no o/t til 60 but full timers get benefits and retirement.

In-N-Out managers make $160,000 per year

In-N-Out ( west coast burger chain ) Vice President of Operations Denny Warnick told the Sun that quality service requires quality employees with quality pay — a vision of the company's founders, Harry and Esther Snyder.

“Paying their associates well was just one way to help maintain that focus, and those beliefs remain firmly in place with us today,” Warnick told the Sun.

“Our research shows that companies that take the high road make a profit not in spite of paying their workers better but because they pay their workers better,” she said.

The California Sun.com

To explain why the managers make such a good salary , the burger chain basically spells out a common principle: You get what you pay for.

Also , they point to retaining people with better-than-average pay and getting results to show for it.

From the bottom up , not from the top down - this is how you build a winning culture in your workplace.

Last edited:
Down in the south OD pays dock workers over 21 top out, no o/t til 60 but full timers get benefits and retirement.
yup and the OD dockworker makes out better on the 40hrs and 50hrs at 60hrs they are only $10.25 behind an XPO dock worker getting OT after 50hrs

OD 40hrs at $21 is $840
OD 50hrs at $21 is $1050
OD 60hrs at $21 no OT is $1260
XPO 40hrs at $19.55 is $782
XPO 50hrs at 19.55 is $977.50
XPO 60hrs w/OT after 50hrs is $1270.75

Most of them should go. :censored: are they useless loading freight properly.
You can say that again UN. They are awful at our barn. They fail to block, brace, and strap HM frt., fail to put good 4 way empty plts under frt that needs them. The other day I had 4 rider mowers w/ no plts under them delivering to an equipment place ,w/ no dock. Soooooooooooo, instead of spending 10 minutes at that stop, I ended up spending about 45 minutes linking loads straps together and having the receiver pull each mower from nearly the nose of my 48' er to the tail w/ his fork truck. I don't mind though, thx for the OT ,that's the good part of the story. The bad part, my production looks bad causing management to think ill of me and possibly removing me from this run that I like.

In-N-Out managers make $160,000 per year

In-N-Out ( west coast burger chain ) Vice President of Operations Denny Warnick told the Sun that quality service requires quality employees with quality pay — a vision of the company's founders, Harry and Esther Snyder.

“Paying their associates well was just one way to help maintain that focus, and those beliefs remain firmly in place with us today,” Warnick told the Sun.

“Our research shows that companies that take the high road make a profit not in spite of paying their workers better but because they pay their workers better,” she said.

The California Sun.com

To explain why the managers make such a good salary , the burger chain basically spells out a common principle: You get what you pay for.

Also , they point to retaining people with better-than-average pay and getting results to show for it.

From the bottom up , not from the top down - this is how you build a winning culture in your workplace.

It's not rocket science. Plenty of studies and success stories to prove it.

I can see them adding a mess of dock hands here. The drivers don't wanna do anything. Getting out with my 7 route after 11. Missing appointments. If you had people out there doing something at all, we would get out much more quickly. And as far as that outbound. They can have it. I'll gladly go home. If I wanted to make 6 figures this year I would have stayed on the road.

I can see them adding a mess of dock hands here. The drivers don't wanna do anything. Getting out with my 7 route after 11. Missing appointments. If you had people out there doing something at all, we would get out much more quickly. And as far as that outbound. They can have it. I'll gladly go home. If I wanted to make 6 figures this year I would have stayed on the road.
WHY on Earth can't these incompetent higher-ups staff the place and train the people correctly? The amount of money they would save by sending top pay drivers home and having dockworkers actually DO dock work would be staggering.

Let me be clear: city drivers typically don't mind earlier start times ( inbound ) but working the dock on outbound after driving and working inbound is what most drivers don't want ANYTHING to do with.

WHY on Earth can't these incompetent higher-ups staff the place and train the people correctly? The amount of money they would save by sending top pay drivers home and having dockworkers actually DO dock work would be staggering.

Let me be clear: city drivers typically don't mind earlier start times ( inbound ) but working the dock on outbound after driving and working inbound is what most drivers don't want ANYTHING to do with.
The big word in your post was TRAIN. They need to train these dock guy. I have to have 3 trailer reworked this year so far. One was just under 24K and was loaded only have way back. 25,000lbs on the drives 11,000 on the trailer oh and there were only 12 skids in the trailer