FedEx Freight | Dock worker/ Hostler rules

Per FMCSA:

Post accident testing is REQUIRED following any accident resulting in a fatality.

Testing is REQUIRED if driver is in an accident (as defined by FMCSA), AND receives a citation in connection with the accident.

FMCSA definition of a recordable accident:
1) A fatality
2) Injury treated away from the scene
3) One or more vehicles towed from the scene due to damage

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/390.5
So the law being clarified by swamp and lifer. The said accident was on a private yard involving a non DOT qualified driver. So he or she does not meet this criteria for testing.

Doesn't apply to a vehicle operated on private property. I surprised a drug test wasn't ordered based on value, our policy is over $500 it's a drug test or reasonable suspicion.

True
So the law being clarified by swamp and lifer. The said accident was on a private yard involving a non DOT qualified driver. So he or she does not meet this criteria for testing.

And also True, per the regulations.

Company policy, as JD noted his, could come into play. Our policy may or may not address it. I don't know.

We had a city driver driving the hostler with a dock worker standing in the cab with him. He floored the fuel pedal and hit one of the poles around a fire hydrant. He hurt his back and almost shot the passenger through the windshield. He was off for several months with his injury then finally left the company. He was rehired a couple of years ago as a road driver. There always seems to be some gray areas in every rule!

At my place everybody will be tested for any accident/injury requiring medical service including mangement top to bottom no excuses. You have an accident or injury in the yard or shop your going to be tested.And mangement has been tested several times also. It's always fun when you have to take a supervisor down for a test. Now you know how we feel. This even includes random everybody is in the pool. "nuff said back to trolling

Also don't you have speed limits in your yards? 15 max in ours so if he hit it hard enough to move it 9 feet I would guess a little more than 15, But on the other hand I have seen some just hammer down all the way around the dock and drop lot.

Often, it seems that hostlers operate under much more flexible rules. Rules on speed, as well as direction of travel, open doors, etc., don't seem to apply. Much like on fork lifts, speed limiters might be the only solution to curb an unchecked sense of urgency.

Often, it seems that hostlers operate under much more flexible rules. Rules on speed, as well as direction of travel, open doors, etc., don't seem to apply. Much like on fork lifts, speed limiters might be the only solution to curb an unchecked sense of urgency.

The new yard trucks in CMH have speed limiters.

I remember the hostlers at TOL drove around like mad men most of the time. More often than not they were trained dock workers with no CDL. I'd watch them hit the brakes and start to skid in wet weather sometimes.

The company, or maybe the center, eventually did something about it. If one of them was caught on camera doing something stupid, they had some explaining to do. That was only a few months before I left though.

To clear some facts of the yard was wet it was after a storm ,it wasn't hit head on it was side swiped , and for a empty 48ft trailer to move exactly 9ft was because the gas was hit instead brake on impact and the left tire was slick cuz the hostler was out of alignment which is the way the hostler pulled when the trailer got side swiped from the pictures I have seen and the question I have asked this person that was involved in the accident.

To clear some facts of the yard was wet it was after a storm ,it wasn't hit head on it was side swiped , and for a empty 48ft trailer to move exactly 9ft was because the gas was hit instead brake on impact and the left tire was slick cuz the hostler was out of alignment which is the way the hostler pulled when the trailer got side swiped from the pictures I have seen and the question I have asked this person that was involved in the accident.

You got bad info he hit it head on maybe a little more on the left front side but it was head on. No rain either on that night. If you saw the actual damage you would know the truth.

Last edited:
You got bad info he hit it head on maybe a little more on the left front side but it was head on. No rain either on that night. If you saw the actual damage you would know the truth.

cwaEVRi.jpg

That is the hostler in the trailer doesn't look like it was hit head on to me

If you post pics of the damage in daylight it looks like it was hit head on. Im sure if they could pull phone records that would tell us the reason for accident.
If you post pics of the damage in daylight it looks like it was hit head on. Im sure if they could pull phone records that would tell us the reason for accident.
So just cuz you saw it in day light and think it was hit head you go on here saying it was hit head on and you can keep make false assumption on nothing you know about city driver

Reactions: Ump
So just cuz you saw it in day light and think it was hit head you go on here saying it was hit head on and you can keep make false assumption on nothing you know about city driver

You can't win arguing with him don't try, it is interesting that he claimed your info was bad and it turns out his was.

Reactions: Ump

No matter how it was hit your not going to justify it. The accident should have never happened there was nothing wrong with the hostler, and if there was he should have flagged it on pre trip and they could have took it out of service. I really don't care one way or the other but if that would have been a driver he or she would have been unemployed more than likely.