Estes | Dock Worker

Jeremy Lawson

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi, I have an opportunity to work as a part time dock worker for Estes. I'm hoping to eventually become a driver but I know it takes at least 6 months before you're even considered. The manager said he's had guys there for 2 years still part time. Would this job be worth it or should I just go ahead and find a driving job somewhere else? I already have a Class A CDL but I hurt myself by mostly driving straight trucks and I'm trying to avoid going back to driving school. Thanks in advance!

If you have a CDL, you're miles ahead of most dockworkers already and will likely be considered before other more inexperienced dockworkers.

If you can do jockey work too, that will help prove yourself.

What terminal are you trying to get on at?

I don't know if this is company policy, but if you go through Estes' driving school at my barn, you have to work P&D for like a year before you can go to linehaul or hub.

If you have a CDL, you're miles ahead of most dockworkers already and will likely be considered before other more inexperienced dockworkers.

If you can do jockey work too, that will help prove yourself.

What terminal are you trying to get on at?

I don't know if this is company policy, but if you go through Estes' driving school at my barn, you have to work P&D for like a year before you can go to linehaul or hub.
Thanks for the info. I will be working out of the Chattanooga, TN terminal.

Estes is a good place to drive, not as good as some but better than most in my opinion.

I don't know enough about Chattanooga to be of any more real help.

Estes seems to like putting existing guys through school and behind the wheel more than hiring off the street. If your situation allows you to do that, then it might be a good deal for you. It's tough to make a living part time though.

Good luck and let us know if you decide to give it a shot here.

Be aware that managers will lie to you telling you that "we really want you to enter our trainee program and become a valued member of our driving team here at (fill in the blank)" All the while knowing they really just want you to stay on the dock because you work hard and care

I haven't seen that much here, at least not at my barn. I've seen probably 30 or 40 of our own guys go through the program and become drivers. They have 2 or 3 classes a year here, and another 2 or 3 at another terminal about 5 hours away.

I know it's like that at other LTL companies. It might be like that at other Estes terminals.

I appreciate everyone's help. I think it could be a really good job in the long run but I'd hate to be a part time dockworker for 2 years. I know they don't owe me anything but I'd like to have a solid career with a good company.

Just one more question if you guys don't mind. Is dock work pretty fast paced and hard to learn or is it pretty simple to learn? I'm sure its still pretty fast paced depending on how busy it is but I'm just trying to get an idea of what its like?

Just one more question if you guys don't mind. Is dock work pretty fast paced and hard to learn or is it pretty simple to learn? I'm sure its still pretty fast paced depending on how busy it is but I'm just trying to get an idea of what its like?
If you already have a Class A CDL, I'd use it to your advantage. Especially if you have the proper endorsements...doubles, hazmat, tanker..

Our dock guys don't work that hard in my barn.

In trucking, LTL pays more than truckload. If you've got the license but not enough experience, it might be better to get your foot in the door at a LTL carrier however you can and go through their driving school.

Dock work is pretty damn simple here. You can learn it thoroughly in a day.