XPO | Dock Workers Laid Off

Tired

TB Lurker
Credits
Lots of dock workers laid off today in the midwest region.Sounds like more to come in 2 weeks if things don't pickup.

Seems to be the typical winter slowdown coupled with the uncertainty heading into an election year.

Seems to be a slow down across the LTL sector..Saia is laying off as well..Hope you guys can survive the slow period.

Good, that was part of the end of Con/Way as we knew it,damages, poorly loaded peddles, etc..:19::violin::crybaby::usa2:
In my opinion , don't blame dockworkers or drivers ( for the most part )

Most drivers , dockworkers , CSRs , etc. are following ridiculous strategies , dumb ideas , and poor management in general ( when something goes wrong is one thing , when something STAYS wrong over and over and over - lazy management )

Most problems with people and/or processes have been brought to managements attention and they FAIL TO ACT - THEY FAIL TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM.

Overall , almost all of the issues brought up here on these boards and elsewhere could have been nipped in the bud by a better effort to manage people and processes better.

I hope and pray this changes because this is a great company at it's core with good people. Personally , I don't want to see the company that employs ME laying off people since most of us that choose to work for a company that we don't own have put trust ( I say that loosely ) in the management to run this place correctly - layoffs are evidence that they may not be doing things right.

Drivers can be poor loaders to. The dock issues at my barn are directly related to management. A poorly loaded trailer is the result of a poorly supervised operation. Supervisors walk around with the attitude, if I don't see a problem there is no problem. People need to be held accountable for poor work and some will need to be fired, dockworkers and drivers. Some of the best employees at my place or dockworkers and I would hate to see them get let go.

Drivers can be poor loaders to. The dock issues at my barn are directly related to management. A poorly loaded trailer is the result of a poorly supervised operation. Supervisors walk around with the attitude, if I don't see a problem there is no problem. People need to be held accountable for poor work and some will need to be fired, dockworkers and drivers. Some of the best employees at my place or dockworkers and I would hate to see them get let go.

Yes, sir. We have found some good ones. The bottom of the driver board.... different story.

U want damages to go away stop forcing drivers an dockworkers to get the cube on these trailers .. It's all about numbers than they cry about damages well stop making us cram :::shit::: in fully loaded trailers an give us another empty

Until management is made responsible for eliminating damages, what do they expect ? All the production goals are scaled around cramming and jamming. If you were working for a bonus, and being paid what they are, you would be highly motivated to crush the freight into every trailer too.

Most drivers , dockworkers , CSRs , etc. are following ridiculous strategies , dumb ideas , and poor management in general ( when something goes wrong is one thing , when something STAYS wrong over and over and over - lazy management )

Most problems with people and/or processes have been brought to managements attention and they FAIL TO ACT - THEY FAIL TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM.

Overall , almost all of the issues brought up here on these boards and elsewhere could have been nipped in the bud by a better effort to manage people and processes better.

I hope and pray this changes because this is a great company at it's core with good people. Personally , I don't want to see the company that employs ME laying off people since most of us that choose to work for a company that we don't own have put trust ( I say that loosely ) in the management to run this place correctly - layoffs are evidence that they may not be doing things right.

Moral. People don't care. I talk to our line haul guys a lot. I tell them how much we spend buying freight. How the customer reacts. And why accounts send as much as they can on other carriers. It's not easy to get someone to realize that they are part of the problem.

No I would have common sense about how many trailers I'm good for an weight an cube for the night an make better projections than they do now it's a bunch of college kids an computers telling us how to load a damn trailer

Until management is made responsible for eliminating damages, what do they expect ? All the production goals are scaled around cramming and jamming. If you were working for a bonus, and being paid what they are, you would be highly motivated to crush the freight into every trailer too.
Absolutely. At Holland we made money hand over fist with OR's in the mid 80's. When the trailer was full, it was sealed, and sent down the road. An empty was backed in, and the loading resumed. Simple. No damages. Our claims were lowest by far in the industry. That was before yellow. Then came load averages, bills per trailer, bills per hour, etc. The old freight supervisors left, replaced by morons with an ass degree in logistics or restaurant management. They only know what the computers tell them and learn nothing from one day to the next. Sad.

Wow, you people are starting to act like normal people, of course its managments fault, but you people always acted like they were Gods or something, Get real you have been taken advantage of for a very long time!:6788::coffee1:

U want damages to go away stop forcing drivers an dockworkers to get the cube on these trailers .. It's all about numbers than they cry about damages well stop making us cram :::shit::: in fully loaded trailers an give us another empty
Agree, coast. It's all about the CUBE! Their thinking is this...every pallet you pickup throughout the day is 48x40x99, therefore, EVERY outbound trailer should have 16 pallets, and occupy every inch of space, front to back, side to side, floor to ceiling. It amazes me how out of touch these Bozo's are.

Agree, coast. It's all about the CUBE! Their thinking is this...every pallet you pickup throughout the day is 48x40x99, therefore, EVERY outbound trailer should have 16 pallets, and occupy every inch of space, front to back, side to side, floor to ceiling. It amazes me how out of touch these Bozo's are.

If outbound is projected at 500 cube, our supervisors will expect 5 trailers..NO excuses.

If outbound is projected at 500 cube, our supervisors will expect 5 trailers..NO excuses.
Have them walk a mile in our shoes once in a while. The outbound operation shouldn't turn into a Tetris game every night. Every city trailer shouldn't have to be back-stripped every night either. What a waste of time. I'm not saying that the trailers are floor-loaded only, but I think there's a 'comfortable medium' that can be achieved, and we all know what that is.

Have them walk a mile in our shoes once in a while. The outbound operation shouldn't turn into a Tetris game every night. Every city trailer shouldn't have to be back-stripped every night either. What a waste of time. I'm not saying that the trailers are floor-loaded only, but I think there's a 'comfortable medium' that can be achieved, and we all know what that is.

This is one of the things that we are hoping XPO helps to change. Better use of technology to give better projections. Ugly crate freight may have whatever dimensions, but is awkward and unworkable. 8 skids of books are perfect squares that are true to cube.

It may (or may not) interest you to know that damages count for a lot on managements scorecard. More than cube, in fact.