ABF | Does abf pay overtime?

Take the job

I worked causal for 6 months at ABF and took a full time job at Yellow. At that time ABF couldn't offer me anything. One month later they called and offered me a full time job, I left Yellow. To me ABF is a great job and a great company. I have a week left to make my 30 days. Take the job if you can get it, and good luck. You will not regret it.:1036316054:

I hope that thigs are better in
southern california than in Ohio...I am laid off again for the second time since I got hired back in Sept. 2006....I wish that I had never heard of ABF

well they are hiring for city drivers where i am at. no nothing about the union or how things are set up.so it does make me alittle leary

I don't know where you are in NC, but at 051 in Kernersville (Winston-Salem) we have already started laying off city drivers again. If they told you we're hiring, they meant casual only. Sorry to bum you out, just stating the facts cause our terminal manager won't.:chairshot:

southern california than in Ohio...I am laid off again for the second time since I got hired back in Sept. 2006....I wish that I had never heard of ABF
I'm sorry that you have been laid off. See if you can find a better job while you are laid off. I'd be willing to bet you that you will change your mind. Just mho.

well they are hiring for city drivers where i am at. no nothing about the union or how things are set up.so it does make me alittle leary

Yep, I certainly know the feeling. I was certainly not looking for a union job when I come to work here. Reason I am sure is because of all the negative crap that you hear on the street, and from management of non-union companies. Let me assure you that the BS that you hear on the street and on the CB is crap. I have never been happier. There is nothing to fear. :1036316054:

You can expect the best job you'll ever have. You seem to have a pre-conceived notion that working a Teamster job is something to be concerned about........it isn't. Try it .........you'll like it.

Well lemme tell ya, theres a whole bunch of people out there including me, that were spoon fed $h17 about the union for years. The most difficult thing for me to do 8 years ago was to change my way of thinking about being a union member. Now, that I know better, I wish that I had never listened to anyones' BS and went and found out for myself. I could now have 30+ years in and be looking for retirement. There is certainly a fear factor to deal with, changing jobs, and the way things are done. Union is nothing to fear. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Dude, where were ya 30 damn years ago when I really needed ya, to tell me GOOD stuff about the benefits of UNION membership?:smilie_132:

How do I explain the differance of making a living in freight living on the West Coast.It's by the container load from Far East Country's. When the America people stop buying Far East goods than things slow down.
The cost of living is on the high side so money doesn't go as far or buy as much.
So we all have start at the bottom and just hang in there...

I am sorry you are laid off. 064 is a HUGE break bulk and there is a big swing in freight levels. You are at a good barn just hang it there get a job while you are on lay off then get back when you get your letter.People retire from your barn all the time. You will probably move up a spot or 2 while your laid off. I herd there was 20 laid off on the road in 064 don't know about dock or city.

042 has 10 laid off on the road. We are cutting 29 dock/city/yard bids. Re-bidding the dock on November 5th. Just hang in there it will get better.:1036316054:

Frustrated in Dayton

I'm sorry that you have been laid off. See if you can find a better job while you are laid off. I'd be willing to bet you that you will change your mind. Just mho.

Driving at ABF is good when you are getting called on your rest...but waiting for hours or even days is very fruststating. I am driving all week for the same trucking company that I worked for last time I was laid off. They treat me very well and are paying almost as much as I was making at ABF. I am still working weekends on the dock at ABF...just to keep my benefits...I feel like a candle burning at both ends....lol

I know that eventually things will be better at ABF..maybe by the time that the contract is settled we can all be back and working. I wished that the union was more like the IUE/CWA in one respect, when it was time to negociate a new contract, the union would not even talk to the company as long as there were members laid-off. At least that was the way it was on a local level.

I am sorry you are laid off. 064 is a HUGE break bulk and there is a big swing in freight levels. You are at a good barn just hang it there get a job while you are on lay off then get back when you get your letter.People retire from your barn all the time. You will probably move up a spot or 2 while your laid off. I herd there was 20 laid off on the road in 064 don't know about dock or city.

I am at 064 and I understand that there are 13 drivers laid off and more to follow. I have been working the weekends on the dock, I hate to knock a casual out of a work offer, but need to keep my benefits while I drive for another company during the week. The last lay off I moved down the list...I guess all but one driver below me decided not to come back to ABF. So as far as moving up, I don't see it happening soon. I guess that in a way I should be relieved that I got laid off in the respect that I can work another full time job...I mean ABF could have kept us on and let us work one or two days a week....it makes it hard to find another job if you were on call 24/7
My buddies that are 10%er's are usually getting 5 days in each week which is good and I hear that the road driver are working steady.