Yellow | Does anyone know what the rule is?

pa-juggalo

TB Lurker
Credits
I had a situation happen today on a city peddal. Maybe someone can help out with some info. I was sent to pick a pup up, and build a set, but the other driver who filled that pup up, kept the bills of lading with him. So I have a trailer and no paperwork. I called dispatch, and kansas city for that matter, (the union hall was closed, although, I was told to file a grievance later), anyway, they both told me that it was ok to transport the trailer with no paperwork, as long as it didn't have hazmat, and according to them it didn't. I thought the federal law was if there's no paperwork, you can't legally move the trailer. I can't seem to find the rule though. Has anyone else ever had this happen, with yellow?:chairshot:

MIKEEEEE said:
yo.....

no hazmat no problem...

it's called "freight ahead".........

mikeeeeeeee

Interesting, I still am taking this one in........
I called the DOT field office and asked them they said what you said, except for the freight ahead part.

but

The hall said if the company would have told the driver to take the bills with him, they had a greviance, but if he took it upon himself to bring them back, we couldn't file because yellow would come back on the other driver for not leaving the bills. But they would once again send the city mgr a paper to remind him, not to do it again :rolleyes:

It's all part of the "numbers" game that all LTL's play.........if you took the bills with you the terminal you took the freight to would get credit for the freight. If the city driver took them with him, his terminal get the credit. A classic example of the stupid numbers game that LTL freight is.

Why does it even matter ?? It does not sound like there is a pay issue, or a discipline issue, so I am really confused as to what the union has to do with it.

Friend of the frog said:
Why does it even matter ?? It does not sound like there is a pay issue, or a discipline issue, so I am really confused as to what the union has to do with it.

I am thinking the same way here,whats this got ta do with the union???

If the other city driver signed the bills and manifested them to his paperwork, he takes the bills with him to hand in to the clerks. This gives the clerks time to bill the freight while your bringing the trailer at a later time.

I do it all the time.

hazmat you need bills

Not sure I understand the grievance end of this.

Double-Clutch said:
If the other city driver signed the bills and manifested them to his paperwork, he takes the bills with him to hand in to the clerks. This gives the clerks time to bill the freight while your bringing the trailer at a later time.

I do it all the time.

hazmat you need bills

Not sure I understand the grievance end of this.

What the issue ended up being, was, what if a accident occurred, and something was leaking, how do you know what it is or could be? From what I was told today, after the hall called their people it's legal, like you guys said as long as there's no hazmat. I seriously thought moving the trailer without bills would be like hauling contraband. Where the union came in is your employer can not make you break the law or contract, of course assuming it was against the law. I'm still not clear, on the hazmat part, does that include a non placardable amount or just a placardable amount?

Pa Jug,
Any amount of HM would be a no-no. We used to pickup trailers in Lamar, Mo. at a customers site and the BAX city drivers would already have the bills signed so BAX got credit for the freight in their outbound numbers. I'm not aware of any STL guys having any problems at the scales or anywhere else for not having bills. The freight was unassembled entertainment centers and not HM.

We do it all the time, so the billing can get moving. Although lately we've been leaving them in the back of the trailer so the driver picking up the trailer can record them on his manifest. I don't see a problem either way.

jimmy g said:
We do it all the time, so the billing can get moving. Although lately we've been leaving them in the back of the trailer so the driver picking up the trailer can record them on his manifest. I don't see a problem either way.

Yea, there for awhile we would leave them in the back of the trailer too, and this one time, no one told the driver the bills were in the trailer (why he didn't look I don't know), and the load sat in the yard with the bills for about a week, until someone realised it :duh:

pa-juggalo said:
Yea, there for awhile we would leave them in the back of the trailer too, and this one time, no one told the driver the bills were in the trailer (why he didn't look I don't know), and the load sat in the yard with the bills for about a week, until someone realised it :duh:

Oh NO!!!!! That's probablythe very first time in the whole history of the world that's ever happened!:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

NOT!

I've run across it occaisionally

I've run across it a few times. On the return trip, you get dispatched to a customer to pickup a loaded trailer. I've always had the dispatcher at the terminal I depart give me the sheet we use for empties as my paperwork. They always inform me as to what the customer is shipping. Ex.. yesterday, I was supposed to p/up a van full of boat bumpers from a cust w/out paperwork. In this particular case, the customer requested I come in and sign/take bills. Now I know why the peddlar on the route was actively checking things out w/cust and not me. He didn't get the credit since cust wanted me to sign/take bills w/load. I just learned something new.

Yellow; it's all about numbers.

Layoffs, investments, new hires. Numbers, every one.

As long as the check clears. It's their game, we're just the players.........

jimmy g said:
Yellow; it's all about numbers.

Layoffs, investments, new hires. Numbers, every one.

As long as the check clears. It's their game, we're just the players.........
Jimmy I hate to correct you but its not the Yellow way... Its the only way.

Business is business. The more profit a company shows the more secure our futures are..

Friend of the frog said:
Jimmy I hate to correct you but its not the Yellow way... Its the only way.

Business is business. The more profit a company shows the more secure our futures are..
FOTF,
I don't think Jimmy was talking about 'bottom line numbers' but rather how everything done in the LTL world is related to, let's call them 'performance numbers'.
An example would be like this. Yellow has a STL road driver coming back with empties after bringing a set of traps to WalMart's Dist. Center in St. James, Mo.....normally he'd go through a factory in Union, Mo. and pick up 2 loads, or maybe just to give the empties to the customer, or maybe not go through there at all....the customer gives us lots and lots of freight. The driver is instructed to just bring the empties in and after passing the exit for that customer you see a city man dragging a set of empties out to the customer....you can bet that city dispatch knows there are some big bill count trailers coming out and the city doesn't want the road to get those big billers and spoil the city's numbers that day. The road man was within 7 miles of the factory and didn't go in while the city man goes 52 empty miles to make the bill count look good. The Company spent more money going to get these loads with a city guy and the freight is at least one to 2 hours later than it could've been. But hey, the city's numbers look great because of those high bill counts. Overall, some of the profit is spent before the loads are even picked up just to make the city's 'performance numbers' look good while the 'bottom line number' suffers a little. It happens all the time.

Way to complicated for me to understand. Sorry. I just believe in getting the job done with the least amount of cost.

Operation speak gets way too detailed.

Friend of the frog said:
Way to complicated for me to understand. Sorry. I just believe in getting the job done with the least amount of cost.

Operation speak gets way too detailed.
The bottom line of my example is that the city wanted credit for the bill count and sent a city guy empty 52 miles to the customer when a road guy with empties was within 7 miles of the customer.....the city doesn't get credit for the pickups if a road man picks up those trailers. That's not very cost effective although it did make the city pickup numbers look great. The numbers show that one city guy picked up 30 something bills in about 3 hours. If the trailers at the customer that day were 2 and 3 bill loads the city wouldn't have sent one of their own to get the trailers because it wouldn't have enhanced their bill count or their 'performance numbers'.