ODFL | Does anyone know when the dryspell is going to end ?

CaMaRo82

TB Lurker
Credits
Im a linehaul driver out of the DES terminal and its been really slow to the point were i sometimes work just one day a week is this normal around this time of year?

its normally slow around this time of year,
but if your working 1 day a week that isnt
normal.

my guess its a combination of both too many
new drivers and not enough freight.

maybe you should consider running wild?

4 months

Im a linehaul driver out of the DES terminal and its been really slow to the point were i sometimes work just one day a week is this normal around this time of year?

In most places this dry spell has been 4 months long.It used to be there were a few times every year when you could count on having freight.When the stores were being loaded with school supplies and clothes,Christmas,and tax refund time.But this time I believe most refunds will go on late bills.Who knows when it will pick up,a drought this long and wide spread is past just about everbodys experience.

CaMaRo82 welcome to trucking boards. Good to have you along for the ride.:smilie_132: Tell your co-workers about us!:1036316054:

I wish I knew the answer to your question 'cause I could sure make a ton of money if I was that good at predicting the future!

picking up ????????

Had a couple guys on the GBO dock tell me the freight has been heavy past 2 days.Is it coming back?Who knows ? But that's the first time I've heard the word "heavy" in a while.

I copied this article off one of the articles about the recent growth of OD and thought it was kind of associated with this thread.

Old Dominion Chairman and CEO Earl Congdon Jr. attributed much of the growth to an increase in business at service centers that had been open at least one year. The company added 28 service centers in 2006, bringing its network to 182.

i was talking to several dispatchers in GBO in the last fue days...they say its starting to pick up. I would not say the slow time is over but indications look up at least for now

They are still hireing in MRT.Thay have billboards on the big road and they also have a note on the door that they are hireing dock workers

they are not activly hiring drivers in mrt yet only taking apps was told going to hire 4 to 5 for march driving school that was all but they are hiring dock maybe they are expecting dry spell to end soon i hope so mrt has been slow on freight too

Billboards are still up but they're not actively hireing drivers, but I'm sure if you knew someone you could get in. We go thru at least 100 linehaul drivers a year in MRT so it won't be long before the hireing starts again.
I have no idea how many dock workers they blow thru a year. you'll see ads in the paper and loads filling out apps, then the sign on the door will say no apps taken, then it all starts again.

We had some layoffs mostly dock workers. The last batch and a half of the trainees got put on the dock. A couple of them are on the road again. It is suspected at least one because everybody was safer with him in a truck. Anyway I am not looking forward to them starting those greenies always want to challenge what the other drivers have already figured out.

could be a company thing

The company I work for has more freight than we know what to do with, and it was pretty much that way all winter. I think most of the slowdown is on a company to company basis. My best guess is that when there is not a lot of freight countrywide that companies ship freight with the cheapest carriers. When freight picks up they then pay the premium for other carriers.
I went to OD term here in Toledo to see if they were hiring.... their yard looked practically deserted, I wasn't even sure the term was open.

last week i did 58 hours this week they told me not to come in today i finished with 47 and thats after running the weekend. i guess its gotta get bad before it gets good.

That's the freight business,you got to make it while it's there to make.You never know about next week.

I actually worked almost all week. I went in today to work and the problem was we didn't have enough tractors. We have a whole bunch of old and new city trucks there but not enough road trucks, go figure and they are to cheap to get rid of some of the old trucks and get some new trucks for the linehaul guys

I actually worked almost all week. I went in today to work and the problem was we didn't have enough tractors. We have a whole bunch of old and new city trucks there but not enough road trucks, go figure and they are to cheap to get rid of some of the old trucks and get some new trucks for the linehaul guys

yeah they keep sayin there gettin rid of the old volvos. i heard that people buy them, what the hell would they do with that crap! any way they called me and im goin in at 3 its supposed to be a full days werk, thank god cause i got bills to pay.