Yellow | Does Ernie Soehl Have a Plan for Freight?

That's part of YRC's problem. Our network and linehaul moving freight like a 100 years ago. Need to be way more efficient. I know. I know. The C word everyone hates. Change....
Example.
Some logistic guy sees load factor.
Not someone at the terminal.
Somewhere on a outside looking at numbers.
He sees two shipments going to Orlando Florida.
He tells tm to tell super to tell me to load em both on the same trailer.
I know... I know.
But. All 19 skids were heavy and great bottom freight. Dock is blown out and if I would have separated the two I could have two nice loads with the odd light freight on top.
Instead. One 25 grand trailer. Like they wanted. And the other was lucky to have 10 grand on it. But when they look at the load factor it sure looked good.
As. For the crap that could have been stacked on top. It was floored ou in the other Florida trailer at about as I said about 10 grand.
That was just last night.
Example.
Change.
Ha.
Never happen.

I was gonna say 'Chicago!' :17142::poke::hide:

3YCoqKH.jpg

You mean like this????

I was gonna say 'Chicago!' :17142::poke::hide:
Well, not only proper loading, but what I really meant was our outdated hub and spoke, non direct loading of trailers. I still believe you can sacrifice some load factor, and bill count on trailers, by loading past breakbulks to EOL terminals, thus 1 or 2 less handling= less chance of damage, and accountability of where, if any damage did occur,along with what should result in on time service also.

3YCoqKH.jpg

You mean like this????
No deck. No doubling ::shit::. Period. I won't do it anyways. They need to get rid of those slicksides. Useless. If they put one in a door I'm stacking I ask for a deck. If I don't get it. Well. It will go out light.
Such is life.
Wow. That trailer is a mess. Hard to believe anyone down the chain would let that go.

Well, not only proper loading, but what I really meant was our outdated hub and spoke, non direct loading of trailers. I still believe you can sacrifice some load factor, and bill count on trailers, by loading past breakbulks to EOL terminals, thus 1 or 2 less handling= less chance of damage, and accountability of where, if any damage did occur,along with what should result in on time service also.

From California that means full loads of food, and beverage refused on delivery. Food distribution centers, and state run warehouses, will not accept the freight if the cases are in not in perfect condition. Smaller EOLs do not have the people, talent, time, or materials to put together heavy loads without driving up claims.

Management is shockingly oblivious to the additional care required when loading a direct. One evening as I was about to clockout, the terminal manager asked if I would load my eight pallet beverage pickup into a pup at particular door that already had a few pallets loaded in it. I walk out to the door to find the trailer is the type with only one horizontal rail at eye level. This was a trailer chosen by a terminal manager with some 30 years of experience. Loading that trailer with a load of glass bottled beverage would require a ridiculous amount of time to do correctly. It's amazing how many experienced people genuinely believe that you can load pallets of glass bottles weighing between 2000 and 3000lbs any old way and things will turn out OK.

From California that means full loads of food, and beverage refused on delivery. Food distribution centers, and state run warehouses, will not accept the freight if the cases are in not in perfect condition. Smaller EOLs do not have the people, talent, time, or materials to put together heavy loads without driving up claims.

Management is shockingly oblivious to the additional care required when loading a direct. One evening as I was about to clockout, the terminal manager asked if I would load my eight pallet beverage pickup into a pup at particular door that already had a few pallets loaded in it. I walk out to the door to find the trailer is the type with only one horizontal rail at eye level. This was a trailer chosen by a terminal manager with some 30 years of experience. Loading that trailer with a load of glass bottled beverage would require a ridiculous amount of time to do correctly. It's amazing how many experienced people genuinely believe that you can load pallets of glass bottles weighing between 2000 and 3000lbs any old way and things will turn out OK.
I agree with your post monkey, except I see no difference in loading direct to another EOL, or to a breakbulk. All loads should be loaded properly to avoid damage.wether going 200 miles, or 2000.

I agree with your post monkey, except I see no difference in loading direct to another EOL, or to a breakbulk. All loads should be loaded properly to avoid damage.wether going 200 miles, or 2000.
That is something I can agree on. I used to strip trailers for the stackers.
Two things were happening.
I see what was going on with the loads. It's bad. We are am. EOL. We load maybe 15 direct doors.
Second I got tired of management pestering while stripping. Frickin just won't leave ya alone. So I went to stacking. They leave me be now. Not a peep.
If it takes me two hours to load one trailer. Tough ::shit::.
It will make it to wherever it's going intact and easy to unload.
If they say ANYTHING. I will still take that two hours to load it.
Because they cannot make you load freight that will be damaged enroute to wherever its going.
We need to make this right for each other and f*ck management getting you in a hurry and not giving a ::shit:: if it's damaged before you even shut the door.
You have to be there eight hours anyway. And they certainly do not pay you by the piece. But it looks like the do sometimes.
When freight is loaded like that Chicago picture shows we are just f*cking ourselves.
Show some intelligence people. Take things into your own hands. Your future is at stake.
Got me started.... Lol.

That is something I can agree on. I used to strip trailers for the stackers.
Two things were happening.
I see what was going on with the loads. It's bad. We are am. EOL. We load maybe 15 direct doors.
Second I got tired of management pestering while stripping. Frickin just won't leave ya alone. So I went to stacking. They leave me be now. Not a peep.
If it takes me two hours to load one trailer. Tough :::shit:::.
It will make it to wherever it's going intact and easy to unload.
If they say ANYTHING. I will still take that two hours to load it.
Because they cannot make you load freight that will be damaged enroute to wherever its going.
We need to make this right for each other and f*ck management getting you in a hurry and not giving a :::shit::: if it's damaged before you even shut the door.
You have to be there eight hours anyway. And they certainly do not pay you by the piece. But it looks like the do sometimes.
When freight is loaded like that Chicago picture shows we are just f*cking ourselves.
Show some intelligence people. Take things into your own hands. Your future is at stake.
Got me started.... Lol.
I hear you man,but some just have never loaded frt correctly.

I hear you man,but some just have never loaded frt correctly.
Some don't know how. Or even try. I see it.
New guys are clueless. Not all. Some try and ask questions.
Some are too busy with management. As if that will get them somewhere.
But. I have no say. I cannot tell someone what to do. I can only show through my own actions.

Looks like both the student and the teacher don't care.
(I took this quote as us(me)being the teacher)
That's not true.
Teachers cannot fix everything.
Not enough time in the world.
We would spend all our efforts correcting papers.
And children don't listen or just get pissed and then your the bad guy.
I. Me. Cannot tell someone what to do. Just a lumper. It's not my place to tell a grown man what to do.
Think about it.
It's a culture of self destruction.
Some ask for help.
Some just load like the picture above.
You can blame me. But it's out of my hands.
I can only do MY job. Not his.
Management does not train.
They say just go load.
If they would team us up I would be more than happy to help.
But they don't.

(I took this quote as us(me)being the teacher)
That's not true.
Teachers cannot fix everything.
Not enough time in the world.
We would spend all our efforts correcting papers.
And children don't listen or just get pissed and then your the bad guy.
I. Me. Cannot tell someone what to do. Just a lumper. It's not my place to tell a grown man what to do.
Think about it.
It's a culture of self destruction.
Some ask for help.
Some just load like the picture above.
You can blame me. But it's out of my hands.
I can only do MY job. Not his.
Management does not train.
They say just go load.
If they would team us up I would be more than happy to help.
But they don't.

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.
Those who cannot teach, teach teachers.

I will let my actions speak for me.

Better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than speak and remove all doubt.

Those who can, do.
Those who cannot, teach.
Those who cannot teach, teach teachers.

I will let my actions speak for me.

Better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than speak and remove all doubt.
Really.
I removed all doubt after 30 years. Little more complicated than that.

Last edited:
It worries me that with the stock market predicting good times ahead, and an unprecedented driver shortage, our biggest obstacle in 2019 may be a union unwilling to take risk.
Ltl trucking is not a high priority with the Teamsters Union of today.Imo.