Holland | Does Holland-YRCW wants Senior Driver's gone by 2019

With the way they are treating the senior driver's lately it would seem that Holland -YRCW wants all the Senior Guys gone by 2019 ,so they can't vote No and tell these new Driver's about the -15% and lost week's vacation and the good old days when we had a union to fight for us and had full pay & pension !! It is really sad when you tell these new guy's about the -15% & other :crap: that has gone on and they all say well nobody told me that in the job interview about pension fund going broke or -15% or lost weeks vacation time and from 9 hrs down to 8 hrs vac pay too !! But hang in there senior driver's and vote No and fight back in 2019 , this one we will have to fight for ourselves !!:6788:
supporting a no vote

My retirement date is scheduled for December 2018. I'll turn 62 at this point and willing to give up 18% to move forward with the last faze of life. But I'm delaying long enough to get to vote. I hope our leaders (IBT) will send a strong message to YRCW that anything less than a fair contract will be unacceptable.
There probably won't be a contract as we know it now. You will get a BS take it or leave it offer. Maybe a quarter raise and pay for your own insurance. And if nobody agrees to a BS contract the company will use brokers just like they do now only there will be so many of them no one including the Union will be able to stop them. Why do you think they started using brokers? No not because they can't hire anyone. It's because they don't want to hire anybody. If they paid a decent wage and give our vacation and pension back people would be lined up down the street wanting a job. The other thing is how they lie to new hires. Hire them as drivers and make them work the dock for 2 years bfore they can ever get in truck. I was put in a truck day one at Holland in 1992. Why does the company think no one knows how to drive when they hire them? Oh wait they don't know how to drive because they don't want to pay anything so the experienced drivers won't apply for a job.

Everybody here in MI drives. But point taken. I'm thinking along the same lines as you. Yrc must know they're at the end of the line and the banks aren't going to give them any rope without some significant givebacks. You know, "Come on guys, we're so close, we're in this together. Our new regional PTS initiative is going great, but we need you guys and girls to help row the boat too!" But then again they might make it, with the right to workers and the new hires who'll vote yes as long as the get a volume run and a freightliner to drive. Maybe the new contract will have separate dispatch procedures, right to workers get first pick..

Don't know IF they doing this at all barns but they are working the **** out of the Senior guys , adding on more pick ups out of the normal to keep them out 13 to 14 hours a day !!
Wong they are do If it at all the terminals because they know they can only get so much production efficiency out of the driving school guys.
What is happening is they are burning out the last ounce that we have left for this place... I originally was going to stick it out for the contract, but am leaving real soon. The extra sheckle or two for sticking it out is not worth it. this ship has sunk, its just no one has informed the passengers yet.

What I see daily is,
Guys who do their job working 10-12 a day,
Guys who **** and moan about everything, come in off the street when they want.
Guys who steal about 2-3 hours of time a day,bring back deliveries,and get 10-12 a day.
Guys who want only 8 a day,blowing off pickups,and coming through the gate on 7:30 hours
They created the mess and now they have to live with the fact they have lost the workforce.

Yep, TWO more Senior Driver's said sick of the B.S. and QUIT this week and both going to Non-union companies for more $$$$$$$ and NO dock work when it's -20 below !!

The worst part about this is that decades ago, we looked at Holland as CAREER not just a job. Now these fools take it as just another job that is disposable, and don't do enough research to know what they are getting themselves in to.
And yes, the company would like to get rid of those drivers who have a link to it's former benefits package.
Flash, the newbies can't really look at it as a career anymore. For one when we started sure we looked at the dollar figure and bennies, but most of us looked at the finish line. When they removed the finish line by freezing the pension the career aspect was removed and it became nothing more then a dead end job.

I hear daily, "this is the best dead end job around, where else can you work and get away with the crap that we get away with.", when this becomes the prevailing outlook from your senior personnel you have garnered at best a lackluster attitude toward the job from your workforce.

For new hires there is no finish line in site under current conditions. Due to the restraints placed under union membership tied to a pension plan that is underfunded contribution wise, new hires would have to work into their 100's to get even a moderate return.

This on top of the fact that for the most part this company shifted from being the company that required experienced personnel; to a company that is now the training ground for driving school graduates. Not all onboarding personal are millennial's, but for many who are, the general consensus of this generation is to dable. By this I mean, unlike many generations prior they are not looking as we did for that finish line. Pensions and even long term employment at the same place is old school in their eyes.

Today's live in the moment, self centered entitled generation does not really look for the so called "legacy" aspects that companies once offered. Without trying to harp on them to much because there is the good and bad in every generation, and there are exceptions to this attitude as well in this generation as well. For the most part this generation is living in the moment and at best looking at the short term. One can not fault them for this since they only have the experience of their parents to base this outlook on.

For those 35 and younger let's look at what they witnessed as they grew up for the most part. With exception they observed that their parents who were once promised longevity in carrer fields scramble as those promises collapsed around them. As we move to those in their 20's it only compounds at a higher rate, these kids observed company after company that their parents once relyed upon in one form or anouther fail their parents. Add in recession, bankruptcy's, foreclosure's of homes, marital discord due to many of the aspects that this career places upon a relationship, high debt loads, etc... what you get as a result is an outlook very different from what many of those who are older than this current generation observed from their parents.

For those of us that are a bit older we grew up with a different outlook overall compared to those who are younger than us. We can hash this subject out in so many directions, but to Summarize it:

When most senior guys came to Holland sure we looked at the paycheck and benifits package, but the end goal was the pension. For us we paid our dues at other outfits building experience and taking our lumps along the way. At that time a company such as Holland, Roadway, Yellow, ABF, CF and so many other legacy Union outfits was the golden parachute in a career in trucking. They were the no thril, ugly truck, non air conditioned, air assisted non powered steering, long hour and even labor intensive outfits. All that was tolerated because we were also well compensated and had a goal line. We were at the top of our respective field and those that came before us were able to actually make it a decent carrer. We observed this in our parents, but today's generation has observed something much different looking in from the outside.

What is it that we hear daily? The trucking industry is short drivers right? Why is that? At one time it was a good carrer even with all the sacrifices, but today not so much. Kids observe this and are not gravitating in this direction anylonger after observing how these companies have evolved. Not all are destined for the IT field after all.

So when you keep moving the goal posts (retirement) or don't even offer it realisticly like the current new hires. You will not have loyalty or even those who will stay long term.

The company's did it to themselves I hate to say. The Unions did it to themselves as well. Don't hate on me for saying that because it's true. Both entities are dinosaurian in so many aspects in the 21st century. Sure there is a place for them and sure there is the good and bad that is associated with them, but they are unwilling to change with the pace that today's society demands. In so many ways I do not think they can even recognize how antiquated they have become.

Low yield nontransferable pension plans that are underfunded with low fixed monthly returns after 25 & 30 yrs of service may have enticed people in the past for stability reasons, but in today's environment it is nothing but a "legacy" promise that younger workers witnessed their parents and peers get screwed over on in recent years. This does not only hold true to our circumstances, but overall witnessed across the board.

Today "legacy" companies like Holland/YRC are in jeopardy due to the fact that it cannot keep pace with the fast changing aspect of technology or the changing workforce coming up the ranks. The Unions have placed themselves in a box as well, but they haven't realized it yet... mark my words it may not be realized for some time yet and the senior guys may be able to buy their time to get the 25 yr mark, but the tidle wave coming down the pike in the near future may just bury "legacy dinosaur" companies and organizations like the union.

Flash, the newbies can't really look at it as a career anymore. For one when we started sure we looked at the dollar figure and bennies, but most of us looked at the finish line. When they removed the finish line by freezing the pension the career aspect was removed and it became nothing more then a dead end job.

I hear daily, "this is the best dead end job around, where else can you work and get away with the crap that we get away with.", when this becomes the prevailing outlook from your senior personnel you have garnered at best a lackluster attitude toward the job from your workforce.

For new hires there is no finish line in site under current conditions. Due to the restraints placed under union membership tied to a pension plan that is underfunded contribution wise, new hires would have to work into their 100's to get even a moderate return.

This on top of the fact that for the most part this company shifted from being the company that required experienced personnel; to a company that is now the training ground for driving school graduates. Not all onboarding personal are millennial's, but for many who are, the general consensus of this generation is to dable. By this I mean, unlike many generations prior they are not looking as we did for that finish line. Pensions and even long term employment at the same place is old school in their eyes.

Today's live in the moment, self centered entitled generation does not really look for the so called "legacy" aspects that companies once offered. Without trying to harp on them to much because there is the good and bad in every generation, and there are exceptions to this attitude as well in this generation as well. For the most part this generation is living in the moment and at best looking at the short term. One can not fault them for this since they only have the experience of their parents to base this outlook on.

For those 35 and younger let's look at what they witnessed as they grew up for the most part. With exception they observed that their parents who were once promised longevity in carrer fields scramble as those promises collapsed around them. As we move to those in their 20's it only compounds at a higher rate, these kids observed company after company that their parents once relyed upon in one form or anouther fail their parents. Add in recession, bankruptcy's, foreclosure's of homes, marital discord due to many of the aspects that this career places upon a relationship, high debt loads, etc... what you get as a result is an outlook very different from what many of those who are older than this current generation observed from their parents.

Quite a post to reply to, but I'll try. The first two paragraphs seems to describe most trucking jobs anymore. I (hypothetically of course) cut off my left one 25 years ago to be at one of the big two beverage companies. Five years ago or so, I became embarrassed to work there. Now at a non ltl, it sure seems most folks' goal is to get away with as much as they can. And if fired, so what? I'll go down the street is the thinking. Finally, between your two extended posts, get on as Pence's veep in 20 and you have my vote.

Quite a post to reply to, but I'll try. The first two paragraphs seems to describe most trucking jobs anymore. I (hypothetically of course) cut off my left one 25 years ago to be at one of the big two beverage companies. Five years ago or so, I became embarrassed to work there. Now at a non ltl, it sure seems most folks' goal is to get away with as much as they can. And if fired, so what? I'll go down the street is the thinking. Finally, between your two extended posts, get on as Pence's veep in 20 and you have my vote.
Not even on his radar, but he will be a good one once elected.