ODFL | Does OD keep track of forklift accidents....

Conway Lifer

TB Lurker
Credits
Just wondering if OD keeps track of every little bump fork lift drivers get into. Are the dockworkers watched like hawks for performance.... meeting quotas, and not even a minor bump with another forklift? Just wondering how OD runs things.

Just wondering if OD keeps track of every little bump fork lift drivers get into. Are the dockworkers watched like hawks for performance.... meeting quotas, and not even a minor bump with another forklift? Just wondering how OD runs things.
Do they still do that at XPO (Conway)? When I worked there, you couldn’t even fart on a forklift without getting written up.

Do they still do that at XPO (Conway)? When I worked there, you couldn’t even fart on a forklift without getting written up.
At XPO I can get hit by three different people or the same person three times and it’s no big deal. We had a driver go off the dock on a forklift and still works there. I think it’s one strike. I can’t keep track of the “safety policy”. Depends on each terminal I guess.

At XPO I can get hit by three different people or the same person three times and it’s no big deal. We had a driver go off the dock on a forklift and still works there. I think it’s one strike. I can’t keep track of the “safety policy”. Depends on each terminal I guess.
Interesting how the ‘culture’ has changed there. They were HARD on us 10 years ago. Of course, that was during the ‘Depression’ and freight drivers were a dime a dozen. Funny how ‘lax’ they become when they can’t find anyone to do this type of work, and the economy is on fire. I pretty much see ‘graybeards’ out there anymore.

It all depends on your service center. Generally speaking though, if you bump another lift, or bump in to the yellow poles by the dock doors nobody is going to say anything to you. Now, if you put a hole in the trailer or run over someone’s foot, you’ll have to fill out an accident report and talk to the regional safety person and probably take a drug test immediately.

Where I come from, if something needs to be repaired, it’s comsidered an accident. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

If you know how to drive a lift, aren’t threatening people, loading freight in the wrong doors, aren’t damaging freight or humans, you are pretty much left alone as far as write ups go.