ABF | Does the Utility driver get payed less then mileage?

The Utility Driver is different than a long line driver. So to compare the the hourly wage to mileage is like comparing apples to oranges.I can not say you will make less money as a Utility driver then long or short as the guide lines to a work week are different. All I know is if I'm sitting in heavy traffic I'm sure gald their paying me by the hour.

yeah, but your thinking is flawed. A road driver doing that same run averages about $32 an hour. So if the UE does the run at about $23 per hour how do you figure they are better off when sitting in a traffic jam for 20 minutes and "getting paid for it"? The company didn't give the UE driver a one dollar an hour raise, they lowered the work conditions by $9 per hour.
so good luck when they sit in traffic for the 20 minutes, counting their money.

yeah, but your thinking is flawed. A road driver doing that same run averages about $32 an hour. So if the UE does the run at about $23 per hour how do you figure they are better off when sitting in a traffic jam for 20 minutes and "getting paid for it"? The company didn't give the UE driver a one dollar an hour raise, they lowered the work conditions by $9 per hour.
so good luck when they sit in traffic for the 20 minutes, counting their money.

Yes, but when you add dock work -backing -drop hooks, probably a lot less miles it will equal out. I think they are looking to eliminate dock and yard people on next day- 2nd day freight.

Yes, but when you add dock work -backing -drop hooks, probably a lot less miles it will equal out. I think they are looking to eliminate dock and yard people on next day- 2nd day freight.

well, yeah, but that's it exactly. We had it all to ourselves. We just moved the freight. And got paid very well to do it.
Now they add dock work, yard and whatever. It was well defined before. I did my thing, and pulled into the yard. The yard man did what he did and backed it to the dock then I bob tailed to the motel. The dockmen put it on the trailer to be delivered and the city man came to work at 7 am and started his deliveries. Why is it better for one guy to do all of these things? At a lower rate? Like 1/3rd lower rate.

The wording in the Utility driver has them get payed time and half for being layed over from the domicile terminal.So if they are away from their family they are getting payed. So you have to do the numbers and see if you are making more money when you are not being payed for lay over time.

The wording in the Utility driver has them get payed time and half for being layed over from the domicile terminal.So if they are away from their family they are getting payed. So you have to do the numbers and see if you are making more money when you are not being payed for lay over time.
Utility drivers will not lay at motels except for the occasional breakdown or impassable road conditions. The company will not send a guy to a lay down point if they have to pay him time and one half while he sleeps. They will only run turns.