Holland | Dot physical

You don't need a medical card to work the dock, they do not require the 4 hr casuals to have one.
I've been at Holland 27 years and no full time teamster has ever had to go back to casual pay. The only circumstance even close would be a light duty reduction in pay due to injury or illness.

Passed my dot physical this morning ( thanks to Lisinopril) and on s side not the guy doing the physicals told me last night they did 79 physicals for Knight Trucking and US Express and over 1/2 failed. That's after them going to driving school.

I am retired. At ABF in Indy the rule now is lose your med cert & go to bottom of board above any casual & wait for a call. If you know you are going to have med cert issues, take a dock bid if your seniority allows. They can't touch you. As long as you can do the dock work you have a job. You can not force a man off a dock bid coming from the city drive bids. To be safe, you give up a drive bid & take a dock bid. Your Medical Coverage for your family is worth a fortune. Don't screw that up. Once you are discharged for medical reasons you never work in this industry again, unless maybe in the office. Nobody wants to hire a possible work comp employee. I know it sucks, but where else are you going to find a job like this with these benefits after you medical out on the one you have? You won't. von.

Now days, keep your mouth shut when it comes to your medical problems. It is easy to talk to people @ work about all you aches & pains. We all do it. If your company knows about a medical condition you have, they can use that as previous injury or condition against you in a work comp claim. If you keep your mouth shut, they don't know. And therefore your injury claim from work has a better chance of making it. Lose lips sink ships.

Last edited: