R&L | Doubles

• Thread starter Deleted member 40094
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40094

Is R&L a good place for a rookie to get some experience pulling doubles?

I know that the pay is a bit less than some other carriers, but I'm looking for a place that will take a driver fresh out of school and that doesn't make you work the dock, so my options are limited.

R&L is a good place to learn just take your time when hooking a set and pay attention to whoever takes the time to teach you. It will be tough at first but hang in you will probably be glad you did as R&L is better than most carriers out there.

R&L doesn’t pay anywhere near that here in the south, plus No OT ever. Even my company pays more than R&L[/QUOTEo you can't make a blanket statement
R&L doesn’t pay anywhere near that here in the south, plus No OT ever. Even my company pays more than R&L
So how can you make a blanket statement that they pay much less everywhere?who do u work for?and did you get a bonus from the tax cuts?

So how can you make a blanket statement that they pay much less everywhere?who do u work for?and did you get a bonus from the tax cuts?
No bonus. You are the first to post info that I saw on the subject so I went with what I knew, that being local. I will not disclose location due to possible job security issues. Sefl

Do you disagree that other carriers compensate better?
Well we did get the Trump bonus....and our pay is above most LTL in this area.as far as handling freight ..I might get maybe 1 inside delivery a year.my pallet jack was bought by me 14 yrs ago for $280 and I would rather own mine then have to use a community jack.they are always junk

Honestly, this will be the first year since I started with them that our increase wont put us on par with FedEx freight. I was a bit surprised about that as I heard FedEx rate for the northeast will hit 30 an hour. Not sure as to the validity of that.

Well we did get the Trump bonus....and our pay is above most LTL in this area.as far as handling freight ..I might get maybe 1 inside delivery a year.my pallet jack was bought by me 14 yrs ago for $280 and I would rather own mine then have to use a community jack.they are always junk
I use a jack assigned me by company. It’s not communal and not junk. Can be sent in for repair if needed. You are fortunate to only have inside delivery a year. I usually get at least one a week. Some weeks one a day. I find it implausible that you won’t frequently have to use the lift gate that all r&l trailers have. Usually with LG usage there is some unstacking of freight. I’m not trying to belittle your company, rather I’m lumping it in with mine and all other lesser paying ltls than the top tier. Take home pay is more than an hourly rate. In my area it’s UPS, FX, OD, ABF that are tops in take home. The only thing I don’t like at R&L is them being to cheap to buy employees the tools to do their own jobs. For some reason this rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHA I have not done an inside delivery in so long. I forgot where my 2 wheeler is. Look pay is in the top 4. At R&L. nobody up your ass at R&L 28.17 is not welfare. You have things others don't have. Driver review if in an accident 3 driver hears your side. And your accident can be overturned. You keep your bonus Employees can ask for a review if fired for somethings. 5 employees hear your side. And the company tells them why you were fired. 3 yes votes you keep your job. Bonus money every year as long as you stay accident-free. Money giveaways every Nov. Every company has its up and downs. Less pressure at R&L. I have been driving for a long time. Have worked for AT, Roadway, Preston, CF, CCC, AAA Cooper and now R&L If money is all you want. Go with UPS. Your cut some days and ran around for a few years till you get some time. But over the years you will make more.

I use a jack assigned me by company. It’s not communal and not junk. Can be sent in for repair if needed. You are fortunate to only have inside delivery a year. I usually get at least one a week. Some weeks one a day. I find it implausible that you won’t frequently have to use the lift gate that all r&l trailers have. Usually with LG usage there is some unstacking of freight. I’m not trying to belittle your company, rather I’m lumping it in with mine and all other lesser paying ltls than the top tier. Take home pay is more than an hourly rate. In my area it’s UPS, FX, OD, ABF that are tops in take home. The only thing I don’t like at R&L is them being to cheap to buy employees the tools to do their own jobs. For some reason this rubs me the wrong way.
I not sure where you are. But every trailer at our barn has liftgates We never download fright, Unless long and lose. And everyone does that. And that is true throughout R&L system. Not sure where you got ABF. They are 4 bucks behind us in my area. Top pay is UPS, FedEX OD or R&L. Not sure what you saying about Liftgate service. This is the best thing I like. I don't have to wait for them to go borrow a forklift. Liftgate does not make my job harder. It makes it easier. Just the other day. I and a FedEx truck arrived at a dock. No docks. All dock full of OTR trucks. He drives off. I drop the skid with my liftgate. They sign for it I don't have to come back. He has to come back. Not me I move on. No extra effort to use the gate. It is a tool. You guys also have so much BS to do with your bills. I sign date take to truck scan done. You waste more time signing bills and inputting all that info in that handheld. I have some stops I blow horn they come out take fright sign gone. No handheld to drag with me all day.

I not sure where you are. But every trailer at our barn has liftgates We never download fright, Unless long and lose. And everyone does that. And that is true throughout R&L system. Not sure where you got ABF. They are 4 bucks behind us in my area. Top pay is UPS, FedEX OD or R&L. Not sure what you saying about Liftgate service. This is the best thing I like. I don't have to wait for them to go borrow a forklift. Liftgate does not make my job harder. It makes it easier. Just the other day. I and a FedEx truck arrived at a dock. No docks. All dock full of OTR trucks. He drives off. I drop the skid with my liftgate. They sign for it I don't have to come back. He has to come back. Not me I move on. No extra effort to use the gate. It is a tool. You guys also have so much BS to do with your bills. I sign date take to truck scan done. You waste more time signing bills and inputting all that info in that handheld. I have some stops I blow horn they come out take fright sign gone. No handheld to drag with me all day.
I included abf because of take home pay. So many short sighted drivers don’t look at the overall package. Per hour pay is different than take home. At 55 hours an abf driver will take home more than you

sure we buy our jacks but how many car shops buy the mechanics tools and how many bring their own tools? I would rather own my jack anyway.tax write off..according to my taxes I seem to need to buy a new every year...

if you add in our $1000 trump bonus and devide that by hours worked it actually added about $.40 per hour this year.we are at $29.40 this year with bonus that about $29.80 not bad

Did the linehaul rate get bumped up too?
What's it at?