R&L | draining air tanks in autoshifts

Ted Decker trk

When things are FUBAR, FIDO!
Credits
we have had times during the past few winters where the new autoshifts, to include the Internationals, Peterbilts, and a Volvo, have all had transmission shift solenoid freeze up and not let the trucks move or some move only in reverse. They were dragged into shop and allowed to warm up and then seemed to function properly. Shop and company swear that it is because drivers are not draining air tanks daily. As far as I know they all have functioning air driers and most were under a year old. I can't really believe not draining the tanks is the root of this problem. I know plenty of people at other companies, in many types of operations where they never drain the tanks and never have a problem with the autoshift system. They are similar makes, models, and years that R&L has problems with, yet no one else has had similar problems. The others run all kinds of schedules like we do, some trucks are used 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week while others run pretty much nonstop 6 days a week. Regardless, I have not heard of another company have the freeze up problems we have had despite not draining tanks. Can someone enlighten me? I am out of 1 of the big Great Lakes area terminals

we have had times during the past few winters where the new autoshifts, to include the Internationals, Peterbilts, and a Volvo, have all had transmission shift solenoid freeze up and not let the trucks move or some move only in reverse. They were dragged into shop and allowed to warm up and then seemed to function properly. Shop and company swear that it is because drivers are not draining air tanks daily. As far as I know they all have functioning air driers and most were under a year old. I can't really believe not draining the tanks is the root of this problem. I know plenty of people at other companies, in many types of operations where they never drain the tanks and never have a problem with the autoshift system. They are similar makes, models, and years that R&L has problems with, yet no one else has had similar problems. The others run all kinds of schedules like we do, some trucks are used 10-12 hours a day 5 days a week while others run pretty much nonstop 6 days a week. Regardless, I have not heard of another company have the freeze up problems we have had despite not draining tanks. Can someone enlighten me? I am out of 1 of the big Great Lakes area terminals
Seen the memos around but never have personally drained the tanks. I've noticed when breaking sets down the glad hand seals seem to be glued together. Which I figure the shops are dumping air brake antifreeze in the trailers when they get PM'd.

Maybe they need software updates, our 18's and19's need updated all the time. Heck even the guys in the shop wonder how a new truck they are putting into service can need to have an update already, THanks tree huggers. And why wouldn't the shop hook a laptop up see if the sol was thowing a code and just replace the sol and see what happens. And no I don't/can't drain my air tanks on my truck

It really isn't an issue to drain the tanks if you get into a pattern at the end of the day. I do it every day and haven't had an issue with the International I was in. I haven't had my Peterbilt long enough yet but so far this winter, no issues.

It really isn't an issue to drain the tanks if you get into a pattern at the end of the day. I do it every day and haven't had an issue with the International I was in. I haven't had my Peterbilt long enough yet but so far this winter, no issues.
That's the part I don't get. I don't mind draining them, but I've seen some guys drain them daily and the truck freezes. Others never drain them and truck never freezes. Seems shop or maintenance or whoever is blaming problem on something that actually is caused by something else. I don't believe transmission is throwing code. Had it happen to me in a Volvo and peterbilt. Both would not shift into any forward fear but would go into reverse.reversed into shop, truck sat for 45 minutes along with 15-20 others doing the same thing ( 3&4 deep in one bay depending on singles or tandems) and then fine. Happened one day last winter out of a ten day cold snap. Single digits or below zero but only happened in middle of cold snap. Volvo was drained daily peterbilt never drained. Just doesn't make sense but mechanics and shop forman swear it is drivers fault for not draining air tanks. Just doesn't make sense, especially on new trucks with functioning air dryer

Seen the memos around but never have personally drained the tanks. I've noticed when breaking sets down the glad hand seals seem to be glued together. Which I figure the shops are dumping air brake antifreeze in the trailers when they get PM'd.
I've noticed that on the seals too. Actually have pulled a few out when dropping. On PM stickers our mechanics put a W in a circle to show they've "winterized" unit, by which they mean they've put additive in air system.

I've noticed that on the seals too. Actually have pulled a few out when dropping. On PM stickers our mechanics put a W in a circle to show they've "winterized" unit, by which they mean they've put additive in air system.
Yea, I always carry a bottle with me in the winter. I do hate that the stuff makes the glad hand rubbers melt together but I also carry those too, just in case. Ive actually had rubbers weld together so tight, I couldn't get them apart. LOL