SAIA | DriveCam ... By Lytx

Train, if I am on the phone, how does the video recorder know that I am on the phone?

Last edited:
The camera may also be your worst enemy, most everybody is puffing their chest out saying it's not us it's the 4 wheelers fault, that is not the case. Everybody, including the million+ safe milers make mistakes. Inward facing cameras are personal injury lawyers wet dream, the company will have to supply them on demand.
Not doubt the camera can nail you , but it can also prove you were not distracted. That's the first thing these attorneys try to accuse the driver of. If the camera can save the company or myself from a money, time consuming lawsuit it's worth it to me.

Time out. According to Train and the video of how this system works, the system is always recording but only downloads if certain situations are met. Train says that he never activates the system and always safely stops before returning a call. If the system is activating for my call, then why isn't the system activating for Trains call? How does the system determine which audio alert is the AM FM radio and which is me using a cell phone?

Time out. According to Train and the video of how this system works, the system is always recording but only downloads if certain situations are met. Train says that he never activates the system and always safely stops before returning a call. If the system is activating for my call, then why isn't the system activating for Trains call? How does the system determine which audio alert is the AM FM radio and which is me using a cell phone?
If train is stopped on the side of the road how would he trigger an event ? And I don't know if you have ever had to watch one of the videos but the audio and pic are pretty clear. It records 8 secs before and 4 after a triggered event. So it's not to difficult to differentiate the radio and your mouth moving talking on the phone. And it does not take much to set the camera off. And I really think (hope) that the company will bend on the phone policy. It has bit Saia in the seat meat a few times already.

Last edited:
"So it's not to difficult to differentiate the radio and your mouth moving talking on the phone. And it does not take much to set the camera off."
Can someone in California or wherever this system is monitored investigate an audio noise alert without causing a download?

If train is stopped on the side of the road how would he trigger an event ? And I don't know if you have ever had to watch one of the videos but the audio and pic are pretty clear. It records 8 secs before and 4 after a triggered event. So it's not to difficult to differentiate the radio and your mouth moving talking on the phone. And it does not take much to set the camera off. And I really think (hope) that the company will bend on the phone policy. It has bit Saia in the seat meat a few times already.
So if your phone rings it triggers an event?

"So it's not to difficult to differentiate the radio and your mouth moving talking on the phone. And it does not take much to set the camera off."
Can someone in California or wherever this system is monitored investigate an audio noise alert without causing a download?
Nothing is monitored unless an event is triggered.

Train, if I am on the phone, how does the video recorder know that I am on the phone?
It's the audio that will nail you. Typically when your on the phone the radio isn't blasting. If you trigger an event it will play back the last 8 seconds. Even with a small blue tooth in your left ear or some other hands free device if your mouth is moving your busted. It's those 8 seconds before you trigger the device that will get you. I know I could tell if someone was involved in a conversation. If the red light goes off and your on the phone your pretty much busted. That's why I pull over and stop when and if dispatch calls. That's why if my kids or wife calls I pull over and stop. I can make calls out of truck although technically you can make calls in the truck as long as your not moving. If your not moving an event won't be triggered. If your on lunch and stopped you can talk all you want in the truck. My wife and kids always know I will call them back at the first opportunity. So does my dispatcher.

Last edited:
If an event is triggered the audio and video download automatically.

The perception of this system is they can turn it on and off when they want to. That they can feel free to watch you drive for hours at a time if they choose to. It's not designed that way. In only downloads when triggered.

Hard brakes ... Sharp turns are the most common. Mine goes off all the time when I bump a dock too hard or hit a big pot hole. They know what's up and won't say a word in those cases.
You said
Since we have received these new trucks I have driven one every day. EVERY SINGLE DAY with no events.