SAIA | DriveCam ... By Lytx

So far they have made great use of it, too. Harassing people for maintaining less than a 6 second following distance in urban areas, nagging about setting the lane alert off, harping about taking a drink of coffee as "distracted driving". Oh and of course telling you it's your fault when someone cuts in front of you and sets the Bendix off.

Yup, a wonderful use of resources. Just think, if it wasn't for these nanny cameras, Saia would have just wasted that money on something silly, like getting us some terminals that are less than 6 hours apart and aren't dirty rundown crapholes. Or paying drivers to fuel trucks. What a silly idea that would be!

Couldn't have said it better myself nice post.

I knew you would eventually come after me. Perhaps I believe in what this company is trying to do. Heaven forbid they try to move forward with the new technology that is available today. I understand your reluctance to accept this since you were part of the Conway team for awhile and they used it as more of a disciplinary tool. The goal is to weed out bad habits and cut litigation cost. Habits many of us may not even know we have. It's not being used to fire people. It can be if you continue to do the same :::shit::: over and over. I'm not going to try and change your mind. You have made it clear what you think of DriveCam. You will quit before you get in one of those trucks. That's your right. I just think differently and hope that many come around. I have my opinion and you have yours and that's OK. But I will say this in closing. They are here to stay. In the next few years ever single major LTL company will have them. The upside is just to great. They will save millions in litigation and help save life's and I can't think of anything more positive than that. You will always have the skeptics that believe that big brother just wants to watch you. To babysit you. That will never change. So, I will drink the Kool-Aid. I guess it's a good thing my favorite flavor just happens to be red. Cherry.
What you said is true. However with the driver cam anything he does becomes a matter of record to be used against him in court. Say a car pulls out in front of the driver and gets hit, on face value it would seen it's the cars fault. However the truck driver just happened to have his cb mic in his hand, now it's his fault for distracted driving, or he has a drink in his hand distracted driving and so on. Now I have no problem with the camera facing out the windshield,but I have no use for a driver facing cam. You can talk all you want about how great it is but even as perfect as some drivers are we all do things in a day that would be against us in court.

Train, it is gonna take a long, long time for any driver to believe something like this won't be used as a harassment tool because so far every carrier that's done cameras (while promising up and down they won't) has done exactly that. Drivers getting chastised for drinking coffee or eating a sandwich (especially non-hourly road drivers) because it's "distracting".

We have to do our best to do our best, but we're not robots and we're not perfect. And the last thing a road driver needs at the end of the week is to be given hell for eating lunch on the go so he could be home in time to drive his kids to school in the morning.

We're told to use our best judgement as professionals. The cameras are proof that our judgement isn't considered trustworthy. While I agree that these cameras will eventually be everywhere, that doesn't mean that we should just have to accept that we are, as usual, being lied to.

Train, it is gonna take a long, long time for any driver to believe something like this won't be used as a harassment tool because so far every carrier that's done cameras (while promising up and down they won't) has done exactly that. Drivers getting chastised for drinking coffee or eating a sandwich (especially non-hourly road drivers) because it's "distracting".

We have to do our best to do our best, but we're not robots and we're not perfect. And the last thing a road driver needs at the end of the week is to be given hell for eating lunch on the go so he could be home in time to drive his kids to school in the morning.

We're told to use our best judgement as professionals. The cameras are proof that our judgement isn't considered trustworthy. While I agree that these cameras will eventually be everywhere, that doesn't mean that we should just have to accept that we are, as usual, being lied to.
I actually agree with a lot of what your saying but from my experience I haven't been harassed and I drive nothing but these new units. I have been coached once for following distance and I'm sure I will be coached again in the future. ( in urban areas it's almost impossible to maintain the required following distance ) If there comes a time I feel things are becoming a bit petty I will probably just retire. I'm kind of old school and think my accident free driving record should speak for itself. Going on 40+ years with numerous awards. It's day to day brother at my age but I won't hesitate to walk away if I feel one bit harassed.

Last edited:
I actually agree with a lot of what your saying but from my experience I haven't been harassed and I drive nothing but these new units. I have been coached once for following distance and I'm sure I will be coached again in the future. ( in urban areas it's almost impossible to maintain the required following distance ) If there comes a time I feel things are becoming a bit petty I will probably just retire. I'm kind of old school and think my accident free driving record should speak for itself. Going on 40+ years with numerous awards. It's day to day brother at my age but I won't hesitate to walk away if I feel one bit harassed.

Typical all you care about is yourself. Try and think about your co workers for a change.

W2ZmP5y.jpg

Time and again, companies, in this case Saia, bow down and won't stand up for their drivers. I'm sure the camera idea has been pitched by insurance companies or "industry experts" for years. It's unfortunate, yet expected, that Saia, Conway, etc. doesn't care enough about their people and practices that they can't wait to put these cameras into every power unit. These companies could take a stand, they just choose not to. And that is really the root of the problem: unqualified desk jockeys telling seasoned and safe drivers that they need to change their ways. I would never walk in and try to tell him to do his job, so why should he tell me how to do mine? And by what criteria is he making these decisions?

Time and again, companies, in this case Saia, bow down and won't stand up for their drivers. I'm sure the camera idea has been pitched by insurance companies or "industry experts" for years. It's unfortunate, yet expected, that Saia, Conway, etc. doesn't care enough about their people and practices that they can't wait to put these cameras into every power unit. These companies could take a stand, they just choose not to. And that is really the root of the problem: unqualified desk jockeys telling seasoned and safe drivers that they need to change their ways. I would never walk in and try to tell him to do his job, so why should he tell me how to do mine? And by what criteria is he making these decisions?
Buck we have butted heads more than once and you know that. I'm still on the fence on this one. I understand both sides and there is a very fine line on this issue. I think a drivers history should play into this in some way. His safety record for the most part. If it ain't broke don't try and fix it but complacency is a real threat. How do you guard against it without being pro-active? The jury is still out. Let's wait awhile before we overreact.

Last edited:

VGTBXUt.jpg

Wining ^^^

Spellcheck broken, crazy?

Your misspelled, one word comment tells me that you lack the vision to read my post for what it is. To be blunt, I do not have cameras in my trucks. Why? Background, MVR, and CSA score, as well as real world experience are the true indicators as to the character of driver and type of person you are putting behind the wheel. I have them on the bumper, but that's because I trust my drivers far more than the general public. Can Saia say the same?

Spellcheck broken, crazy?

Your misspelled, one word comment tells me that you lack the vision to read my post for what it is. To be blunt, I do not have cameras in my trucks. Why? Background, MVR, and CSA score, as well as real world experience are the true indicators as to the character of driver and type of person you are putting behind the wheel. I have them on the bumper, but that's because I trust my drivers far more than the general public. Can Saia say the same?

I really don't care about spelling. I posted it from my phone it aintz gotz no spell check lol.

You sure cared about spelling when my smart phone went dumb and spelt "fax" instead of "facts!" Of course when I pointed out your three misuses of the English lexicon in your retort to my mistake, you put me on ignore!

Stay real CT...Stay real!

Nope im only here because rat cant mind his own business. You know this rat has even told you this. Go stalk someone else drama queen.

Nope im only here because rat cant mind his own business. You know this rat has even told you this. Go stalk someone else drama queen.
Do you realize how idiotic that sounds? And I've never been asked to leave any forum by anyone except you. Go figure.