SAIA | Drivecam

New ‘always-on’ in-cab video system

TECHNOLOGY Overdrive Staff |September 29, 2016

Lytx, maker of the DriveCam system of forward- and in-cab-facing video systems capturing events by triggers, is now offering whhat it calls an “always-on,” cloud-based platform called Unisyn, a “wholly new video telematics model that gives unprecedented levels of quality video access and video expandability to fleets and field operations of all sizes and profiles.” Unisyn would be the second recent announcement of an always-on-type system, illustrating what could emerge as a long-term trend in on-the-truck video monitoring.

With DriveCam currently in 600,000 commercial and government fleet trucks for protecting and coaching drivers, the company says, it’s also quick to note that the Unisyn platform works side by side with DriveCam for fleets that wish to move beyond just triggered events and utilize “always-on video to track, monitor and act on fleet and field operations. The Unisyn platform delivers the full spectrum of pure visibility from events to assist with driver exoneration to leveraging that visibility to take action for prevention of future collisions.”

The Unisyn platform features always-on access to up to seven days – or more, depending on the user-chosen resolution — of cloud-connected video. Organizations can access, review and manage video from their fleets and field operations when, where and how they want, in real time, or a few days after an incident has occurred.

“For some fleets, safety may be balanced against operational efficiency and/or security priorities, which can be addressed through the ability to observe and track vehicles in all aspects of their day,” said Lytx Chairman and CEO Brandon Nixon. “In DriveCam, we’re focusing on the driver, and with Unisyn our primary focus is the fleet operations.”
Users of the Unisyn platform can integrate and synchronize high-definition video from as many cameras as they want, including, but not limited to:

• Forward-facing to capture what’s in front of the driver
  • Side view to capture activity adjacent to the vehicle
  • Side-mirror to capture activity both adjacent to and near the front of the vehicle
  • Rear view to capture activity behind the vehicle
  • Cargo interior to capture activity within the cargo hold
  • Dock/warehouse to validate activity in the presence of the vehicle
  • Interior to capture situations of security concern within the vehicle
- Overdriveonline.com

This is an old article from 2016. Also , the article implies that Unisyn is software based and works with Drivecam tech as an "addon" - both come from the same company: Lytx.
SAIA does not use this technology and doesn’t plan to implement it. They are struggling with driver retention with the current technology they have.

This camera can’t be turned on remotely. You must trigger an event to download anything. You are spreading fear and that’s just wrong.
And I’m not trying to put fear into anyone. If a person wants to work for a company with tight rules on what they can’t or can behind the wheel it’s up to that person. So I’m not trying to get anyone nervous or put fear in anyone. And for a company to watch you 24/7 they have to inform you because that wiretapping and the law protects you. So they can’t just turn on a camera and watch you for no reason without informing you that they can

And I’m not trying to put fear into anyone. If a person wants to work for a company with tight rules on what they can’t or can behind the wheel it’s up to that person. So I’m not trying to get anyone nervous or put fear in anyone. And for a company to watch you 24/7 they have to inform you because that wiretapping and the law protects you. So they can’t just turn on a camera and watch you for no reason without informing you that they can
You’re absolutely correct. I’m sorry if I came off as being an ass but I deal with listening to drivers spinning ::shit:: everyday about these cameras and it’s starting to irritate me a bit.

You’re absolutely correct. I’m sorry if I came off as being an ass but I deal with listening to drivers spinning :::shit::: everyday about these cameras and it’s starting to irritate me a bit.
No I respect that 100% and trust me I dealt with it also at Sysco. Just cause we wear different uniforms doesn’t mean I’ll be against you guys. We are out here doing the same thing, taking care of our love ones and trying to make it home safely everyday. And I apologize for getting a little heated also.

Informing you is as simple as putting a sticker in the truck

This is a great company to work for but we do have our shortcomings. And communication is at the top of the list.
Let me add one thing that really bothers me here. They won’t post the seniority list. Everyone knows where most stand but for some reason they want to make it a big secret. We have less senior guys with better start times but it’s because the senior guys don’t want to go out with 15-20 deliveries so they pass. They like the later start times that are less demanding and for many it’s just simple things like traffic driving to work. What’s the big ****ing deal!!! Why do they want to make it such a secret. I just don’t get this place sometimes. They go by seniority here as far as start times so why not post the list.

When you go to industry journals or the Lytx website , part of the salespitch is the ability to upgrade Drivecams you purchase to manage your fleet productivity and driving habits. Just because your particular Drivecam cannot do something doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be changed remotely or in person to do it later.

Are you familiar with Teslas? One of the key features of Teslas is the ability to modify almost EVERY aspect of their performance via remote updates ( Tesla improves braking with over-the-air update , Tesla increases range of cars to escape hurricane Irma ) Cell phones and personal computers are routinely updated remotely ( a lot of the time without the users knowledge )

My whole point is once the door is open , who knows how far management will go?

This camera can’t be turned on remotely. You must trigger an event to download anything. You are spreading fear and that’s just wrong.
Your absolutely wrong on that train. First night the no bluetooth policy was activated at Sysco Syracuse just after midnight they the signal to the camera to record and then send it back. Not necessarily live per say but the next best thing. Only time they couldn't do that was when the light was already red with a saved event. The supervisors went to every truck before we left the warehouse that night repeatedly to make sure they were green. We were even quietly told to keep them green that night.

Your absolutely wrong on that train. First night the no bluetooth policy was activated at Sysco Syracuse just after midnight they the signal to the camera to record and then send it back. Not necessarily live per say but the next best thing. Only time they couldn't do that was when the light was already red with a saved event. The supervisors went to every truck before we left the warehouse that night repeatedly to make sure they were green. We were even quietly told to keep them green that night.
Just more fear mongering. I’m sure the cameras have the capability to be updated but the company must disclose the updates or risk litigation. To remotely turn on the camera without letting you know they have that capability wouldn’t look good in a court of law. If a legal precedent has been set on this technology then maybe the company could use this practice in daily operations. But I’m still guessing they must disclose that this practice can and will be used in the company fleet including all sales representatives and company managers in company vehicles. If they want to open pandora’s box they better be ready to defend their position.

Last edited:
Just more fear mongering. I’m sure the cameras have the capability to be updated but the company must disclose the updates or risk litigation. To remotely turn on the camera without letting you know they have that capability wouldn’t look good in a court of law. If a legal precedent has been set on this technology then maybe the company could use this practice in daily operations. But I’m still guessing they must disclose that this practice can and will be used in the company fleet including all sales representatives and company managers in company vehicles. If they want to open pandora’s box they better be ready to defend their position.
Before the policy went into effect they had us sign it multiple times. They were giving them to us two or three at a time to sign. Sysco obviously doesn't care what perception they have as a company to their drivers. As far as litigation goes they have the lawyers and the money to go on with these lawsuits almost indefinitely. Drivers are shunning them like Saia cause at the end of the day its not worth the stress or aggravation with the way their abusing this.

Let me add one thing that really bothers me here. They won’t post the seniority list. Everyone knows where most stand but for some reason they want to make it a big secret. We have less senior guys with better start times but it’s because the senior guys don’t want to go out with 15-20 deliveries so they pass. They like the later start times that are less demanding and for many it’s just simple things like traffic driving to work. What’s the big :censored: deal!!! Why do they want to make it such a secret. I just don’t get this place sometimes. They go by seniority here as far as start times so why not post the list.
our barn senior guys are called and told to hold off their start time so some with less can come in and start before the start time they have :::shit:::

The new cameras do have the capability to recognize driver fatigue according to the lytx website but the company has to upgrade to a different plan

Seen a brand new yrcw tractor with a brand new lytx drivecam in it just like our 19s have and the driver facing lens wasn’t covered up

Seen a brand new yrcw tractor with a brand new lytx drivecam in it just like our 19s have and the driver facing lens wasn’t covered up
I wonder how that will be addressed in their upcoming contract negotiations next year. YRC must feel fairly confident that they can push that through. Those will be a big investment. That kind of makes me feel good because I’m sick of all the YRC drivers telling me the Teamsters would never allow that. Seems as if YRC has a heads up on something otherwise they would make that sort of investment.

Last edited:
How much discussion was there when they told you they would be driver facing?

I wonder how that will be addressed in their upcoming contract negotiations next year. YRC must feel fairly confident that they can push that through. Those will be a big investment. That kind of makes me feel good because I’m sick of all the YRC drivers telling me the Teamsters would never allow that. Seems as if YRC has a heads up on something otherwise they would make that sort of investment.
As far as I know their only forward facing. The inward camera is disabled.