FedEx Freight | Driver apprentice to driver?

I went through the 3 week program 12 years ago 1 week city, 1 week road and 1 week hostling because they could not verify the one otr( due to company closing) Then 10 years ago they started a new program with a trainer the ones in stl are really good (Larry and Todd) they will help you as much as possible from what I was told.

I went through the 3 week program 12 years ago 1 week city, 1 week road and 1 week hostling because they could not verify the one otr( due to company closing) Then 10 years ago they started a new program with a trainer the ones in stl are really good (Larry and Todd) they will help you as much as possible from what I was told.

My training 18 years ago with AF, was the safety man giving me a road test pulling a set of doubles, introducing me to the city dispatcher. He asked me if I knew the city very well, I said somewhat, he handed me a 12 bill city load and said good luck!

Only 2 or 3 weeks??!!! 22years and I'm still riding with my trainer. He's a nice feller. He pats me on top of my helmet and says I do a good job.

rodedawg sounds like me only about 40 years ago cit dispatcher asked if i knew where sun oil was and i was dumb enough to say yes and the rest like they say is history

Back in the AF days when I went through the system it was at least 3 months of hostling, 1 week of classroom, 8 weeks with a P&D driver then go get your license. After successful licensing I was out on the street and 90 day single trailer only probation. After safe 90 days then doubles all the way.

roog

rodedawg said:
My training 18 years ago with AF, was the safety man giving me a road test pulling a set of doubles, introducing me to the city dispatcher. He asked me if I knew the city very well, I said somewhat, he handed me a 12 bill city load and said good luck!

Thats almost how it was for me,cept I couldnt drive until after orientation in DAY.

Used to be at least 40 hours out with an actual route driver who showed you how to drive and do the job. Then a week with a driver trainer who basically showed you how to get the job done in reality. There was a workbook and quizzes you did on your own time.

Now, I think they show you a truck, a "trainer" rides with you for a week, and he fills out some paperwork and you're good to go. But you may "train" anywhere in the US that has an available trainer.

Good luck. Get your CDL then get a job at a real LTL company if that's what you want to do. Because we aren't a LTL company anymore. We're a Snapshot company who deals in only spreadsheets and numbers.

My training 18 years ago with AF, was the safety man giving me a road test pulling a set of doubles, introducing me to the city dispatcher. He asked me if

I knew the city very well, I said somewhat, he handed me a 12 bill city load and said good luck![/QUOTE

I remember those days,too. if you didn't know an area, by golly you did the next day!!! buy a map and get it done.

Good luck. Get your CDL then get a job at a real LTL company if that's what you want to do. Because we aren't a LTL company anymore. We're a Snapshot company who deals in only spreadsheets and numbers.
And you better damn well fill out your DVIR completely or they will be on you like stink on pooh!