SAIA | driver attitude as important as pricing

goingincircles

TB Lurker
Credits
Yesterday I was told the two most important things shippers are considering is Price and Driver attitude. The shipper said he expects trucking companies to have drivers who do not stand around and bad mouth the facility procedures at the locations he controls and he wants them all in uniforms so he can identify who is at the facility........ What do you drivers think what feed back could I give back to this customer. Would this be something a driver would do or would they wait until they left the facility to state opinions concerning the procedures set forth by our customers. Last time I checked the way we get a check and freight from the competition is customer satisfaction.

First,

It is never right to go in and complain about how a customer conducts his business at his place of business. They usually have a reason for doing things the way they do them. We don't have to agree, but remember who makes our paycheck possible.

Having said that, if the customer requires you to do something that would make you violate company policies that you are aware of, then get your supervisors and sales reps involved so that the responsibility for solving the problem rests in their hands.

Secondly,

If you are a city driver for Saia, you should at the very least have a uniform shirt and your company id on. That is supposed to be company policy.

When I was driving in the city I always felt more comfortable with the customer knowing who I was working for and my purpose for being there. It seemed to speed up the pickup and delivery process because a lot of questions are answered up front with the uniforms.

being on a run for some time, lends itself to being more productive. not only in the way you run it, but how the customers interact with the drivers. you can wear a uniform, but if you are new to the customer you will most likely wait behind a guy that comes there everyday. since the shipping clerks know them by name and naturally want to take care of them first.

all the while let the guy they know get away with not doing all the things they require.

but if they suspect you dont know thier policy, they will make you follow it to a T

One thing about that is that if someone has breen running the same route for a substantial amount of time he will know what can and cannot be done while the newbie has to be "introduced" to policies and proceedures at the particular place of business.

Oftimes it is expected the experienced or "known" individual will automatically do what is expected of them while the other guy has to be walked thru everything. Been on both sides of that deal.

time to help your fellow man

One thing about that is that if someone has breen running the same route for a substantial amount of time he will know what can and cannot be done while the newbie has to be "introduced" to policies and proceedures at the particular place of business.

Oftimes it is expected the experienced or "known" individual will automatically do what is expected of them while the other guy has to be walked thru everything. Been on both sides of that deal.

said well, but this is the time to help your fellow new driver before he gets to the places he has not been walk him through the most important items for the most demanding customers. we are a team and a team pulls together!!

Well as drivers we have always seemed to be a team!! I don’t know anyone that wasn’t willing to lend a helping hand to a fellow driver!! That goes for city and line haul!! I just wish management would get on board and be part of the team!!

Well as drivers we have always seemed to be a team!! I don’t know anyone that wasn’t willing to lend a helping hand to a fellow driver!! That goes for city and line haul!! I just wish management would get on board and be part of the team!!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!