SAIA | Driver facing cameras

Same picture I saw. MachOne do you have any info if they are trying them out, or all the new trucks are coming with them ? I have a feeling they are gonna be installed in all the new trucks. If any one has done smith system training this year it shows videos of our trucks screwing up. So I imagine the safety features they have in place are not working ,so they want to see what the drivers are doing.
Do they have new Smith system videos? Over at Holland we are still watching the ones with the guy with the mustache in the cab over talking about stale red lights.

Guess I'll be putting tape over that camera if I ever get stuck in one of those trucks. Hopefully he is correct about the cameras being inactive, because I won't be here very long if they aren't.

Would you guys really leave Saia if the cameras got activated? I'm guessing that the vast majority would answer "no". Besides, Rick may have no choice/say in the matter. Insurance may be demanding them. Who knows. Fact of the matter is that if you don't have anything to hide then you don't have anything to worry about. I know Conway has them, so it's only a matter of time before other LTLs follow suit.

Would you guys really leave Saia if the cameras got activated? I'm guessing that the vast majority would answer "no". Besides, Rick may have no choice/say in the matter. Insurance may be demanding them. Who knows. Fact of the matter is that if you don't have anything to hide then you don't have anything to worry about. I know Conway has them, so it's only a matter of time before other LTLs follow suit.

Has nothing to do about having nothing to hide. There were droves of drivers that left Con-Way because of the cameras (I was one of them). I won't be micromanaged and babysat like a moron. Saia is already overbearing enough with the forward facing camera and eventually I won't have the choice of driving a truck old enough that it doesn't have cameras.

Right now I will choose to be proactive and get my crap in order so if the day comes along that they decide to shove a camera in my face I have options. There's plenty of other things I can do besides drive a truck.

You make some very valid points, all true for sure.

Remember that there is a national driver shortage, and someone with the skills to do this job will always be able to find work. Since I left Saia, I am on my own, with my own truck, and bought another one and hired a guy. I'm hoping the upturn continues for me. But, I would never put a camera in a truck. I think it is counterproductive, and sends the wrong message.

Honestly I'm fine with having a forward facing camera but I don't want one facing me. But since I don't work at saia no more I don't have to worry

Several years ago, the Feds said they wanted everybody on e-logs. Companies and drivers scoffed, but now there is a date set in stone of December 17, 2017 when all power units are required to have them, with few exceptions.

The point is that if the Feds decide that driver facing cameras is their next crusade, it's going to happen and we can either quit trucking or adapt to the policy.

We can do our best to be informed and safe drivers.

Several years ago, the Feds said they wanted everybody on e-logs. Companies and drivers scoffed, but now there is a date set in stone of December 17, 2017 when all power units are required to have them, with few exceptions.

The point is that if the Feds decide that driver facing cameras is their next crusade, it's going to happen and we can either quit trucking or adapt to the policy.

We can do our best to be informed and safe drivers.
It was actual REAL information that was widely publicized and verifiable, not just assumed innuendo. That's all I'm asking. Once again......

One detail that Saia has chosen not to capture is video footage of the driver. Some fleets use video-based systems that capture in-cab video to detect incidents where distracted driving might have played a factor.

“From a privacy and professionalism standpoint, we have decided to not do that,” Rick O’Dell says. “People are sensitive to that.”

(Source: CCJ Commercial Carrier Journal - Fleet Management Magazine, search:
A complete picture: Saia uses technology to advance safety

Turns out..they are putting driver facing cameras in the trucks..my terminal is having a meeting about it this week
Yep, they are going with the ones like con-way put in their trucks. Talked to a driver manager and a couple of driver trainers who have already watched videos on them. All the safety gadgets we have on our trucks still isn't changing some of our drivers bad habits. So maybe a camera pointed at our mugs might help. They didn't know exactly when the cameras will start rolling out. They will probably address them in our quarterly meetings.

Last edited:
Saia has its hands tied here. Was only a matter of time. Fact is, distracted driving is still a huge problem in this industry. And if Saia can cover their hind end by having these cameras and using the info they provide, then they will. And actually, Saia promotes distracted driving to a certain degree. By providing coffee to road drivers at night and watching them walk out the door and climb in the truck with a full mug...drinking coffee while driving is considered distracted driving. Who knows how far they will pursue it, but you don't invest in something like that if you don't intend to use it.