SAIA | Driver facing cameras

We have 24 drivers at my barn....lol
Sounds like a small barn. Anyway just got a call from a friend of mine that works at the DLS terminal. It seems many of the new trucks are there waiting for logos and prep work and will distributed to the designated terminals shortly. All Freightliners fully equipped with the new cameras.

Sounds like a small barn. Anyway just got a call from a friend of mine that works at the DLS terminal. It seems many of the new trucks are there waiting for logos and prep work and will distributed to the designated terminals shortly. All Freightliners fully equipped with the new cameras.

Heard 20 or so going to Cali, no more out west right now.
Testing retrofit cameras for the old systems so the rest of us get them too.
I'm not happy about them recording sound. My singing is horrible but I like to sing.

Would you guys really leave Saia if the cameras got activated? I'm guessing that the vast majority would answer "no". Besides, Rick may have no choice/say in the matter. Insurance may be demanding them. Who knows. Fact of the matter is that if you don't have anything to hide then you don't have anything to worry about. I know Conway has them, so it's only a matter of time before other LTLs follow suit.

Sorry for the intrusion onto your board Saia guys. I'm a driver for Con-way/XPO and I just have to say something about the driver facing cameras that we've had for some considerable time now. The reasons our management wants to watch us as drivers are as follows, 1) seeing if you were falling asleep at the wheel during a wreck, (they want to know who to blame you or another vehicle). 2) to make sure that you are doing everything right to promote safety by: (examples) having your seat belt on while moving, having no electronic devices in your hand while moving, not smoking in the cab, not eating while driving, etc. If you go over a rough bump or RR tracks that sets off the camera and you're guilty of any of these infractions...you're called to the office the next day to watch the event and be coached on how you messed up and to not do it again. The outward facing camera is to see who is to be blamed in the event of a crash that results in a lawsuit...by the way Con-way has thwarted many wrongful law suits w/ their camera evidence in court. And the outward facing camera also is used for driver coaching for hard brake events if it's deemed that you were driving too close and too fast behind someone who stops suddenly. One more thing that management will not allow...putting tape over the camera lens...grounds for immediate termination. Even if you put the sunvisor down to block the sun ...you'd better make sure that the sun is shining directly into your face.

Yup... these driver facing cameras are a real treat. They just make your whole driving experience so much more pleasant !!! And like one of you said...they are coming LTL industry wide. Just smile, watch what you say about your TM,(cause they record audio too), and you'll be fine.:clapping:

Sorry for the intrusion onto your board Saia guys. I'm a driver for Con-way/XPO and I just have to say something about the driver facing cameras that we've had for some considerable time now. The reasons our management wants to watch us as drivers are as follows, 1) seeing if you were falling asleep at the wheel during a wreck, (they want to know who to blame you or another vehicle). 2) to make sure that you are doing everything right to promote safety by: (examples) having your seat belt on while moving, having no electronic devices in your hand while moving, not smoking in the cab, not eating while driving, etc. If you go over a rough bump or RR tracks that sets off the camera and you're guilty of any of these infractions...you're called to the office the next day to watch the event and be coached on how you messed up and to not do it again. The outward facing camera is to see who is to be blamed in the event of a crash that results in a lawsuit...by the way Con-way has thwarted many wrongful law suits w/ their camera evidence in court. And the outward facing camera also is used for driver coaching for hard brake events if it's deemed that you were driving too close and too fast behind someone who stops suddenly. One more thing that management will not allow...putting tape over the camera lens...grounds for immediate termination. Even if you put the sunvisor down to block the sun ...you'd better make sure that the sun is shining directly into your face.

Yup... these driver facing cameras are a real treat. They just make your whole driving experience so much more pleasant !!! And like one of you said...they are coming LTL industry wide. Just smile, watch what you say about your TM,(cause they record audio too), and you'll be fine.:clapping:

I got called in for some of the dumbest ::shit:: you could imagine.

First it was for not wearing a seatbelt- guess they didn't notice the video was taken while in the yard jostling trailers. Every damn bump in the yard sets it off

Then I hit a pothole while taking a drink out of my coffee mug. Yes, I got coached for drinking coffee!

Third time they said I had my cell phone in my hand- no you idiots, that's a damn pack of gum!

There were plenty others, and every one of them was for stupid BS. And people wonder why I want nothing to do with this ::shit::!

Cameras did wonders over at Conway didn't they? Seems train is so happy! What part of management are you train? I already know you hate the Union since it may affect you in a negative way since you might be a manager and be put in place for your actions

Yep glad Conway is so happy and cutting jobs. Great job Conway

Welcome to the red version of Con-Way. This place is going south fast with all the BS and micromanagement that has popped up the last few months. These tattle-tale cameras are just yet another way for them to micromanage the hell out of you.

Pretty tired of hearing the stupid line about "why worry if you have nothing to hide" as well. Guess I just see things differently than the average sheep.
Union baby now is the time!

You would have to be pretty naïve to think that these cameras couldn't be turned on with a click of a mouse and watch you anytime. The technology that exist today is futuristic. Not just braking, hard cornering, impacts, lane drifting. They can be turned on anytime. Just do your job safely and don't be doing anything you shouldn't be and you will be fine. The cameras don't bother me at all. I do my job safely and have nothing to hide. I live and breath the SMITH SYSTEM.
Boy aren't you just a bowl full of sunshine and management! Full of lies and lies and more lies! You stink of the already lousy management we have here at Saia

The cameras aren't a very big issue, if you do things right. I'm Con-Way XPO, and never been coached. If you have any kind of seniority, you don't want to walk away based just on the camera. I don't personally know of anybody that quit because of it, but those who did were most likely unhappy bottom feeders and this was enough to push them. That's fine, there are other people who took their spots graciously.

I will chime in too. They will weed out a lot of bad apples. Real fast. Guys who blow lights, stop signs and other ::shit::. They have also saved a large number of drivers from tickets and charges, and in three fatalities I'm aware of, exonerated the driver from any wrongdoing. Sensitivity can be set as sensitive or as loose as they want. I set it off several times a night pinning up. You will loose guys who choose to leave because of it. Not much to be done about that. They can be activated with a mouse click.

You guys have a choice to make.

First time I get put in a truck with a driver facing camera, I'll be looking for a new job. Might just be the push I need to get out of driving.

I hate to say this to you PR, but you just might have to exit your driving career. Why??? cause rumor has it that eventually all commercial trucks will be required to have driver facing cameras installed. Good luck where ever you end up.

I hate to say this to you PR, but you just might have to exit your driving career. Why??? cause rumor has it that eventually all commercial trucks will be required to have driver facing cameras installed. Good luck where ever you end up.

I fully agree with you VP. I've only been driving for about 16 years, but the micromanagement and ridiculous ::shit:: at these companies just keeps getting worse. Good drivers shouldn't have to put up with this garbage, especially in the middle of an industry wide driver shortage. Lucky for me, I have other skills and honestly never expected to be a truck driver when I was younger.

Hopefully when the cameras are implemented, enough drivers will walk out to open management's eyes, but I don't really expect that to happen. Theres too many sheep trying to convince everyone that it's not a big deal at all.

I will chime in too. They will weed out a lot of bad apples. Real fast. Guys who blow lights, stop signs and other :::shit:::. They have also saved a large number of drivers from tickets and charges, and in three fatalities I'm aware of, exonerated the driver from any wrongdoing. Sensitivity can be set as sensitive or as loose as they want. I set it off several times a night pinning up. You will loose guys who choose to leave because of it. Not much to be done about that. They can be activated with a mouse click.

The Canadian cameras don't face the driver though, correct? Saia has had outward facing cameras for a few years now and those are a
I will chime in too. They will weed out a lot of bad apples. Real fast. Guys who blow lights, stop signs and other :::shit:::. They have also saved a large number of drivers from tickets and charges, and in three fatalities I'm aware of, exonerated the driver from any wrongdoing. Sensitivity can be set as sensitive or as loose as they want. I set it off several times a night pinning up. You will loose guys who choose to leave because of it. Not much to be done about that. They can be activated with a mouse click.

As far as I knew, the Canadian cameras only face outward, not on the driver. We've had that system for a while now and the outward camera isn't the one people have a problem with.