SAIA | Driver facing cameras

The Canadian cameras don't face the driver though, correct? Saia has had outward facing cameras for a few years now and those are a

As far as I knew, the Canadian cameras only face outward, not on the driver. We've had that system for a while now and the outward camera isn't the one people have a problem with.
On the driver as well. It's a blatant violation of our privacy law up here, it's being left alone... For now.

Theres too many sheep trying to convince everyone that it's not a big deal at all
Not sure why it makes you a sheep because having a camera pointed at you truly does not bother you. Believe it or not we have had cameras pointed at us for a long time by the general public. While not directly in our trucks , we are being watched ,videos of our driving habits are being made , not only by our company, but by the public. And I know drivers have been called in on for some sort of erratic driving. There are people that go out and specifically target trucks looking for a payday. You work in a warehouse, your being watched, you work in an office your being watched, it's the society we live in, sad but true. I know personally I am not giving up 20 + years and great pay , 4 weeks vacation, to start over somewhere else that will more than likely have them in their trucks in a few years, so if that makes me a sheep , then BAAAAAAAAAA .

They bought 200 freight shakers all with driver facing cams and will activate with hard brake and crossing zipper line with no signal or erratic movement of truck, wheel spin, tip sensors activate ect. Most being sent to elpaso, Chicago, Dallas. Will be on all the time but won't record unless record is activated and will record 8 seconds before and 4 seconds after an incident.

They bought 200 freight shakers all with driver facing cams and will activate with hard brake and crossing zipper line with no signal or erratic movement of truck, wheel spin, tip sensors activate ect. Most being sent to elpaso, Chicago, Dallas. Will be on all the time but won't record unless record is activated and will record 8 seconds before and 4 seconds after an incident.

If it's the Drivecam, it doesn't make a video for drifting out of your lane. If you have lane departure warning systems, that will make the rumble strip noise in the cab, but will not set the camera off. They are completely independent systems. It is only g-forces on the camera that makes it activate. Hard hooks, hard braking, big bumps and that kind of stuff.

If it's the Drivecam, it doesn't make a video for drifting out of your lane. If you have lane departure warning systems, that will make the rumble strip noise in the cab, but will not set the camera off. They are completely independent systems. It is only g-forces on the camera that makes it activate. Hard hooks, hard braking, big bumps and that kind of stuff.
Are system is diffrent

I fully agree with you VP. I've only been driving for about 16 years, but the micromanagement and ridiculous :::shit::: at these companies just keeps getting worse. Good drivers shouldn't have to put up with this garbage, especially in the middle of an industry wide driver shortage. Lucky for me, I have other skills and honestly never expected to be a truck driver when I was younger.

Hopefully when the cameras are implemented, enough drivers will walk out to open management's eyes, but I don't really expect that to happen. Theres too many sheep trying to convince everyone that it's not a big deal at all.

I don't really think that the LTL companies love putting these driver facing cameras in their tractors with the intent of making drivers' lives miserable. What's making them do it, irrespective of how good or bad a driver is, is all about money. Any trucking company that does install them, is merely looking out for their own best interests.They just want to reduce their losses from big money law suits caused from the possibility of having inattentive and distracted drivers in their fleets. It's nothing personal...just business.

I don't really think that the LTL companies love putting these driver facing cameras in their tractors with the intent of making drivers' lives miserable. What's making them do it, irrespective of how good or bad a driver is, is all about money. Any trucking company that does install them, is merely looking out for their own best interests.They just want to reduce their losses from big money law suits caused from the possibility of having inattentive and distracted drivers in their fleets. It's nothing personal...just business.
In time they all will have them. It's really just a matter of time. Good or bad this technology is here to stay. They don't bother me personally especially when I get to drive a brand new truck.

Last edited:

Welcome to our world boys. We at Con-way/XPO have had big brother watching us for quite some time now. Make sure that you leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead of you. I got bagged the other day when my unit went over some rough road activating drive cam and got coached the next day cause, even though I was only going 25 MPH, I wasn't leaving a 4 second gap between myself and the guy ahead.

Consequently, I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna change how I drive. No more hurry up and be stressed out to make stop time windows. If I don't make my stops anymore...too bad. If I get called to the office to explain why I'm not producing like I always used to, I'm just gonna tell them...I only drive at one speed now...SAFETY mph.

Welcome to our world boys. We at Con-way/XPO have had big brother watching us for quite some time now. Make sure that you leave plenty of space between you and the vehicle ahead of you. I got bagged the other day when my unit went over some rough road activating drive cam and got coached the next day cause, even though I was only going 25 MPH, I wasn't leaving a 4 second gap between myself and the guy ahead.

Consequently, I've come to the conclusion that I'm gonna change how I drive. No more hurry up and be stressed out to make stop time windows. If I don't make my stops anymore...too bad. If I get called to the office to explain why I'm not producing like I always used to, I'm just gonna tell them...I only drive at one speed now...SAFETY mph.

Yup, that's exactly why they started watching the stops per hour and dwell time so closely a couple years ago. After the cameras were put in and the educated idiots in management came down hard on everyone with coaching for every little BS reason, everyone said screw it and started slowing down. Best way to make your workforce quit giving a damn is to micromanage the hell out of them, and Saia is going down that same path that Con-Job did right before the mass exodus of drivers happened in 2013-14.

And then they beat you with their old "stops per hour" crap.

Yup, that's exactly why they started watching the stops per hour and dwell time so closely a couple years ago. After the cameras were put in and the educated idiots in management came down hard on everyone with coaching for every little BS reason, everyone said screw it and started slowing down. Best way to make your workforce quit giving a damn is to micromanage the hell out of them, and Saia is going down that same path that Con-Job did right before the mass exodus of drivers happened in 2013-14.

How sad is the LTL industry that folks who have driven ZERO miles think they can tell drivers to hurry up, or even offer any coherent argument regarding the safe and professional manner in which we do our jobs. That level of blindness is simply outdated, and a waste of resources. They should make those people do ride-alongs for a month, then maybe they would have some clue. Otherwise, shut up and stare at your computer. What a joke

How sad is the LTL industry that folks who have driven ZERO miles think they can tell drivers to hurry up, or even offer any coherent argument regarding the safe and professional manner in which we do our jobs. That level of blindness is simply outdated, and a waste of resources. They should make those people do ride-alongs for a month, then maybe they would have some clue. Otherwise, shut up and stare at your computer. What a joke

Wow, we agree on something!
My favorite however is the ones that used to drive. Twenty years ago. And got out of it because they either screwed up or couldn't handle it, but fail to tell you that part, but are subject matter experts......

And then they beat you with their old "stops per hour" crap.

Yeah OT, they will do that. However, they can't have it both ways as much as they would like to. It's either safety first last and always...or it's stress, hurry up and throw safety to the wind. And then if they say something like..."You'll be having a ride along management passenger today," to try to intimidate you into going faster to be more productive. My problem w/ the ride along thing is this...I think that they purposely give you an easer route than what you would normally have, w/ fewer stops so that you'll have no excuse for not getting done quickly w/o hurrying. Just my thought on the whole issue.

Yeah OT, they will do that. However, they can't have it both ways as much as they would like to. It's either safety first last and always...or it's stress, hurry up and throw safety to the wind. And then if they say something like..."You'll be having a ride along management passenger today," to try to intimidate you into going faster to be more productive. My problem w/ the ride along thing is this...I think that they purposely give you an easer route than what you would normally have, w/ fewer stops so that you'll have no excuse for not getting done quickly w/o hurrying. Just my thought on the whole issue.

If that's the case, say something! Tell management/dispatch that this isn't an accurate representation. They should know that already, based on all of the metrics they have access to.

If that's the case, say something! Tell management/dispatch that this isn't an accurate representation. They should know that already, based on all of the metrics they have access to.

It's all a game...just a big game .Them trying to get all that they can out of us, AND THEN SOME, all the while covering their own backsides at the same time. And us trying to figure out a way to do what they want without making OURSELVES GO NUTS. You know what the saying is..DOO- DOO FLOWS DOWN HILL...and we're at the bottom.

Yep! Safety my hinder! Safety only counts when it covers them otherwise they just pound and pound till you have a incicdent then it's come in the office and sign this watch this, you get 3 days off! They don't care and I hate this place. I'm staying here just till I find a new place but with the economy the way it is being so shakey. I have to stay at this dump.

In time they all will have them. It's really just a matter of time. Good or bad this technology is here to stay. They don't bother me personally especially when I get to drive a brand new truck.
Ya know RAT it's sad that you would rather shrug your shoulders and say that's the way it is so there is nothing I can do about it, rather than at least TRY.

Ya know RAT it's sad that you would rather shrug your shoulders and say that's the way it is so there is nothing I can do about it, rather than at least TRY.
Try what Joe? The company has the right to run their company anyway they want. Nothing could be done in regards to this issue. Conway has had them for years and despite some opposition they have worked beautifully by saving the company millions in bogus lawsuits. People need to start accepting that technology will keep their LTL companies on the cutting edge and make them more competitive as we move forward. These cameras not only protect the company they also protect the workers as well.

Last edited:
Try what Joe? The company has the right to run their company anyway they want. Nothing could done in regards to this issue. Conway has had them for years and despite some opposition they have worked beautifully by saving the company millions in bogus lawsuits. People need to start accepting that technology will keep their LTL companies on the cutting edge and make them more competitive as we move forward. These cameras not only protect the company they also protect the workers as well.
RAT it is not just this particular issue , it is your attitude in general, as far as what cameras have saved con job in lawsuits it is all speculation, nobody here has those numbers, a camera can prove your innocence or guilt.