SAIA | Driver facing cameras

Try what Joe? The company has the right to run their company anyway they want. Nothing could be done in regards to this issue. Conway has had them for years and despite some opposition they have worked beautifully by saving the company millions in bogus lawsuits. People need to start accepting that technology will keep their LTL companies on the cutting edge and make them more competitive as we move forward. These cameras not only protect the company they also protect the workers as well.
Not speculation. It's fact. We were given numbers.

Neither of you acknowledge the fact that all of this relates to the OUTWARD facing cameras, which most of us have no problem with. The driver facing camera does nothing other than incriminate the driver. It has nothing to do with being "cutting edge"

Neither of you acknowledge the fact that all of this relates to the OUTWARD facing cameras, which most of us have no problem with. The driver facing camera does nothing other than incriminate the driver. It has nothing to do with being "cutting edge"
Read joes post. He said cameras. He never said inward or outward. That's what we were responding to.

Read joes post. He said cameras. He never said inward or outward. That's what we were responding to.

You are correct UN. Most of us could care less about the cameras that face the road though, so I guess I read into his comments too much. I wholeheartedly support having the outward cameras.

You are correct UN. Most of us could care less about the cameras that face the road though, so I guess I read into his comments too much. I wholeheartedly support having the outward cameras.
I don't think you will find too many drivers who don't support outward only facing cameras.

I understand you have been through this at Conway and I understand you feel it's micromanagement. But if your not doing anything wrong why should it matter? Distracted driving is a big problem these days in trucking, especially cell phone usage. If it discourages drivers that have a problem following our rules why would you be against that? It will reduce those cell phone related accidents.

I understand you have been through this at Conway and I understand you feel it's micromanagement. But if your not doing anything wrong why should it matter? Distracted driving is a big problem these days in trucking, especially cell phone usage. If it discourages drivers that have a problem following our rules why would you be against that? It will reduce those driver related accidents.

I give up on trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm sure all you guys would be perfectly OK with the Gestapo searching your homes too. After all, "If you're not doing anything wrong, why should it matter?"

All I hope is that Saia feels the driver exodus as much as Con-Way did and that they also reverse their moronic rule against using hands-free cell devices.

I give up on trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm sure all you guys would be perfectly OK with the Gestapo searching your homes too. After all, "If you're not doing anything wrong, why should it matter?"

All I hope is that Saia feels the driver exodus as much as Con-Way did and that they also reverse their moronic rule against using hands-free cell devices.
That's an unfair comparison. Gestapo? Really? Anyway, your entitled to your opinion. Everyone is different and I can accept that.

I understand you have been through this at Conway and I understand you feel it's micromanagement. But if your not doing anything wrong why should it matter? Distracted driving is a big problem these days in trucking, especially cell phone usage. If it discourages drivers that have a problem following our rules why would you be against that? It will reduce those cell phone related accidents.
I can answer that!!! No matter what you are doing it wil be wrong!

I don't work for saia but I would assume it's a drive cam by Lynx if you have a good truck it doesn't activate as much as it would in a older pos at least in my experience example ;international goes off way more than the freight liner it can be very stressful depends on how stricked your company is
They are looking to see if you're on the phone or smoking in the trucks. They will fire you for that.

Train, are you in leadership?
No, but I've been accused of being in management from day one. Also been accused of being a union buster from day one. I've been told that I'm just a sheep herder trying to brown nose my way back into dispatch as well. Damn, there isn't very much I haven't been accused of from time to time. What I've been is not really as important as what I am today. A P&D driver in Dallas. I'm not bright enough to be in management. I'm constantly reminded I'm just a failed dispatcher from the days of Overnite. It's just like water off a ducks back for me and another day at the office. No big deal.

Smoking in a company truck is illegal in some states
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I do know of the policy. My point is...if they were to enforce that policy, then they are obligated to do so without exception for all.

After we were made aware of the new company policy against tobacco on company property (including equipment), my TM didn't stop chewing. Always had a spit cup on his desk. That was a violation of the policy which was, sadly, not enforced. B

Not illegal to talk on the phone with a Bluetooth. If you use a Bluetooth you shouldn't get fired either. How do you think alot of these linehaul drivers stay awake driving all night? I would be on my phone from the time I left till I got back.

Not illegal to talk on the phone with a Bluetooth. If you use a Bluetooth you shouldn't get fired either. How do you think alot of these linehaul drivers stay awake driving all night? I would be on my phone from the time I left till I got back.

False. It is against Saia company policy for ANY driver to talk on any phone while driving. This includes city, linehaul, and sales. Policy is "if the wheels are turning, you aren't talking." Bluetooth is immaterial.

This came directly from Saia safety, per inquiry this afternoon.