SAIA | Driver facing cameras

Here's a question, so the policy states as it was explained to me, "any person driving a company owned vehicle shall use a cell phone either hand held or by hands free while the vehicle is in motion". So what about when you are stopped? Does that include all management?

Use of Communication Devices While Driving

Saia has a commitment to provide and maintain a safe working environment. In keeping with this responsibility, the company prohibits all Saia employees and contractors from using cell or Nextel phones and all other communication devices for talking, texting, messaging, Internet access, and e-mail while driving a company vehicle or any other car or truck being used for company business. For clarification, all hands-free devices are prohibited as well. This policy includes all city and line drivers, dockworkers operating a forklift, management, sales staff, and any employee operating any type of vehicle, even their own, for company business.

Calls, texts or other messages may now only be made or received when an employee is safely parked. This includes drivers receiving alerts from dispatchers. These calls cannot be answered or returned until a driver makes their next stop or if they have exited the highway/street and have safely parked their vehicle in a rest area, public parking area, or other parking lot. Unless prescribed by a physician, ear phones, hands-free devices, and all other equipment including MP3 players that restrict or impede hearing are not to be used while driving a company vehicle or other car or truck being used for company business.

Use of Communication Devices While Driving

Saia has a commitment to provide and maintain a safe working environment. In keeping with this responsibility, the company prohibits all Saia employees and contractors from using cell or Nextel phones and all other communication devices for talking, texting, messaging, Internet access, and e-mail while driving a company vehicle or any other car or truck being used for company business. For clarification, all hands-free devices are prohibited as well. This policy includes all city and line drivers, dockworkers operating a forklift, management, sales staff, and any employee operating any type of vehicle, even their own, for company business.

Calls, texts or other messages may now only be made or received when an employee is safely parked. This includes drivers receiving alerts from dispatchers. These calls cannot be answered or returned until a driver makes their next stop or if they have exited the highway/street and have safely parked their vehicle in a rest area, public parking area, or other parking lot. Unless prescribed by a physician, ear phones, hands-free devices, and all other equipment including MP3 players that restrict or impede hearing are not to be used while driving a company vehicle or other car or truck being used for company business.
Thanks, that clears it up. Stupid question, where can this be found?

False. It is against Saia company policy for ANY driver to talk on any phone while driving. This includes city, linehaul, and sales. Policy is "if the wheels are turning, you aren't talking." Bluetooth is immaterial.

This came directly from Saia safety, per inquiry this afternoon.

Illegal and against company policy are two different things.

The main point I am making isn't illegal vs. policy...

It is: does Saia enforce this policy? Is it consistent? What is the tolerance level? Does the standard extend to all employees, or just some?

I have to share the road with you. If I see one of your drivers in violation, I could report it
Then by all means report it , I am sure you would love to get every Saia driver in trouble that you can. Maybe you can take over for the individual that films all LTL drivers going down the road and report what they are in violation of to the company. Because I am sure you were the model driver while you were here.

Hadn't thought of that, so thanks!!!

Or I could reapply and get rehired...wow. The possibilities are endless aren't they?!?!?!

Don't get so defensive there recruiter.

I'm not starting anything, just asking questions. If those questions offend you, frankly, I don't care. Just tells me that you know the points I make are valid. Now tell me I'm wrong

Don't get so defensive there recruiter.

I'm not starting anything, just asking questions. If those questions offend you, frankly, I don't care. Just tells me that you know the points I make are valid. Now tell me I'm wrong
Not getting defensive there troll, you add nothing to this forum ,you have no valid points, all you have is pure conjecture . Your opinions are stale and tired.

Wrong about tobacco policy. No tobacco in or on company vehicles. Smoking is allowed on premise in designated areas. No mention of smokeless use on property. So your ex TM's spit bottle may have disgusted you, it was not in violation. I wouldn't mind a policy against day drivers' abundant cologne & excessive air freshners. I crack a window, get over myself & do my ****ing job.

ootKN6B.jpg

Wrong about tobacco policy. No tobacco in or on company vehicles. Smoking is allowed on premise in designated areas. No mention of smokeless use on property. So your ex TM's spit bottle may have disgusted you, it was not in violation. I wouldn't mind a policy against day drivers' abundant cologne & excessive air freshners. I crack a window, get over myself & do my :censored: job.
White is correct. Some people just need to keep their eye on the ball and do their ****ing job. Get the freight from point A to point B in time and not damaged. The policy is in the employee portal. Read it and move on.