ODFL | driver facing cameras

How about when you local drivers are hitting low overpass what are clearly marked. Like with that straight truck up in Seattle. Maybe OD will want to no what your looking at since it's clearly not the signs.

"Dispatcher told me to go there" Right? The current way to answer now in these times is to blame someone else. LOL

How about when you local drivers are hitting low overpass what are clearly marked. Like with that straight truck up in Seattle. Maybe OD will want to no what your looking at since it's clearly not the signs.

I'll bet replacing that tin was a lot cheaper than pulling a truck out of a ditch because a driver had a sneeze.

OD is self insured, they don't get discounts.
I don't work there, but I bet OD is like ABF. ABF covers the first 750,000.00, any amount above that Lloyd's of London covers. I might be wrong but what I described is very popular in the trucking business. A 10 million dollar judgement against a company would put most out of business. They could not cover the damages & stay solvent.

This is one of those things I really don't get. The only purpose of a driver facing camera is to catch someone doing something wrong. They already fire most involved in a serious accident. Although I guess this would prevent the half of the fired that go to the safety review and get their job back. But, with the driver shortage that is going to occur in the next 5-10 years, why try to find more reasons to fire drivers? Give us front facing cameras that are always on, give us cameras on mirrors that look back. Those would be beneficial. The front facing could cause anyone to be let go. Everyone is guilty of something as simple as stuffing a snack in your mouth, pulling up google maps or wave apps when you hear or see traffic, changing your music, etc.. that could be called distractive ...if they want to find a reason to let you go. I don't know, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I doubt you'll find many saying point a camera at me all day everyday. If they do put a camera in my face, I want a camera in the face of all the terminal managers, dispatch offices, and dock shack's as well. If they see me pick my nose, I want them on camera picking their nose too.

I was just surfing different company boards...and I came upon your thread on 'driver facing cameras.' I drive for Conway/ XPO and as most of you already know...we've had them in our tractors for several years now. Our corp HQ has told us that the purpose of having 'driver facing cameras' in our tractors is primarily to correct distractive driver behavior and thus prevent unnecessary accidents. The cameras record continuously, but footage is only flagged for corp review when and an 'event', occurs,( 4 seconds before and 8 seconds per 'event'). An 'event' is caused by a hard brake, swerve, impact, rough bump, RR tracks, etc. If a driver is doing something that he/she shouldn't when the 'event' occurs, management will call that driver to be coached with the intent to improve his /her behavior. Coachable distractive behavior includes: eating, no seat belt, holding an electronic device, and things of that nature while his unit is in motion. I know of nobody in our company that has been let go for the afore mentioned infractions. If anyone has been fired from our company I suspect it was not so much the driver facing camera that incriminated him but the outward facing camera. Having said that however...a driver facing camera could be used to terminate a driver ,I think, if it was determined that he was asleep at the wheel and a fatality was involved.

Bottom line...our management has 'driver facing cameras' to help us improve our bad behavior and thus save our company millions on unnecessary accidents...outward facing cameras to save us millions from bogus lawsuits that are dismissed all the time in court when the video evidence shows that our drivers were not at fault.

In the not too distant future, all commercial trucks will probably have drive cams...both outward and inward facing. Check out other boards on this site and see for yourselves. Go to Saia's board and click on their 'driver facing camera' thread and you'll see what I mean. Insurance and big money is what's driving it...nothing personal to us as drivers, just the cost of doing business and staying profitable.

I was just surfing different company boards...and I came upon your thread on 'driver facing cameras.' I drive for Conway/ XPO and as most of you already know...we've had them in our tractors for several years now. Our corp HQ has told us that the purpose of having 'driver facing cameras' in our tractors is primarily to correct distractive driver behavior and thus prevent unnecessary accidents. The cameras record continuously, but footage is only flagged for corp review when and an 'event', occurs,( 4 seconds before and 8 seconds per 'event'). An 'event' is caused by a hard brake, swerve, impact, rough bump, RR tracks, etc. If a driver is doing something that he/she shouldn't when the 'event' occurs, management will call that driver to be coached with the intent to improve his /her behavior. Coachable distractive behavior includes: eating, no seat belt, holding an electronic device, and things of that nature while his unit is in motion. I know of nobody in our company that has been let go for the afore mentioned infractions. If anyone has been fired from our company I suspect it was not so much the driver facing camera that incriminated him but the outward facing camera. Having said that however...a driver facing camera could be used to terminate a driver ,I think, if it was determined that he was asleep at the wheel and a fatality was involved.

Bottom line...our management has 'driver facing cameras' to help us improve our bad behavior and thus save our company millions on unnecessary accidents...outward facing cameras to save us millions from bogus lawsuits that are dismissed all the time in court when the video evidence shows that our drivers were not at fault.

In the not too distant future, all commercial trucks will probably have drive cams...both outward and inward facing. Check out other boards on this site and see for yourselves. Go to Saia's board and click on their 'driver facing camera' thread and you'll see what I mean. Insurance and big money is what's driving it...nothing personal to us as drivers, just the cost of doing business and staying profitable.
Our system does everything yours does except we do not have the camera facing us.OD owns the system's.

Very well put..... Do your job. And not things you should not be doing...

Hard to believe you guys throw a fit to follow rules for a 80-100k a year job. Seen it a lot, most od drivers text and drive, take pictures while driving and post to fb, chat on the phone all day while driving and lord knows what else. Only reason ya'll in a uproar because your illegal activities would come to an end.

Let me just warn you dare Devils, even without cameras... You wreck good enough your phone records are going to be requested by the law to help defend yourself.

Be the professional driver OD pays you 80k+ plus a year for.

Hard to believe you guys throw a fit to follow rules for a 80-100k a year job. Seen it a lot, most od drivers text and drive, take pictures while driving and post to fb, chat on the phone all day while driving and lord knows what else. Only reason ya'll in a uproar because your illegal activities would come to an end.

Let me just warn you dare Devils, even without cameras... You wreck good enough your phone records are going to be requested by the law to help defend yourself.

Wow, Billy, I don't have the time to go to the "Introduce Yourself" thread to get your background, but did your wife leave you for a LH driver?

It seems like your on here a lot. So your telling us you are always off work when you post.

It seems like your on here a lot. So your telling us you are always off work when you post.

You seem to slap back just as quick as I post. If you're in the sea area you'd know we don't work much over 40.

Wow, Billy, I don't have the time to go to the "Introduce Yourself" thread to get your background, but did your wife leave you for a LH driver?

Yet again, no mention of line drivers in that post. We're talking any OD driver. Like us professionals say, if you don't have anything to hide... You should be able to handle a camera facing your face. But no, I see all you drivers Line & City walking around with your mission control headsets babbling as you pull into the yard.

The new OD breed has been doing a great job practicing unsafe driving manners with their texting, talking while driving, tailgating & speeding. These cameras are a much needed piece of a equipment to help thin the herd.

Yet again, no mention of line drivers in that post. We're talking any OD driver. Like us professionals say, if you don't have anything to hide... You should be able to handle a camera facing your face. But no, I see all you drivers Line & City walking around with your mission control headsets babbling as you pull into the yard.

The new OD breed has been doing a great job practicing unsafe driving manners with their texting, talking while driving, tailgating & speeding. These cameras are a much needed piece of a equipment to help thin the herd.

You did mention the salary. P&D doesn't make $80-100K/year. You clearly targeted LH drivers with your comment.

City driver here with some extra weekend runs last year.Made about 75.

Not sure why everyone is all on the phone all the time but there is one group of drivers.Won't name names but they get on a big conference call most nights.Seems kinda silly.And yet I don't know how we ever delivered freight before cell phones.Just need to use good judgement.

You did mention the salary. P&D doesn't make $80-100K/year. You clearly targeted LH drivers with your comment.

Work city & weekend warrior you can reach above 80. But stay on topic, like I said: If you're a true professional that focuses only on driving you have no worry about these cameras. Even at 60-70k a year doing city fresh out of school like most of the drivers OD hires, it's not a job worth gambling like that the way drivers keep playing. You won't make that again when shown the door for stupid 4 wheeling behavior your brought to work.