FedEx Freight | Driver Facing Cameras

I am actually looking forward to the ELOG'S,not. Having to sit and fill out 9-14 log books pages when you go on vacation will be wonderful

I doubt you will be able too after they turn them on :thumbsdown:
The mounts are on a pivot, you know. Unscrew the adjustment screw and push it to face the passenger's side, then retighten the screw. It's even meant to be done by hand, and I've never seen an elog system that isn't mounted on a pivoting arm. Peoplenet, Qualcomm, they're all pretty much the same.

I have Peoplenet in my truck. The screen isn't capable of turning far enough left to face me straight on because the dashboard is in the way.

No company is going to depend on one of these to monitor anyone via camera. Too many variables. If they were going to get a camera to point in your face, they would get a camera unit that has both (like Lytx) and not worry about getting two separate feeds from two different companies.

And I'll end this post by saying that Manitoulin Transport uses the exact same tablet units from Peoplenet, and they don't use the camera. Manitoulin Transport is non-union, has no protection via contract, and they have no interest in having a camera looking inside the cab. Why? Because spying on employees is illegal in Canada (and I'm pretty sure it's illegal there, too) and drivers aren't interested in driving for a company that wants to stick a camera in their face.

It's not worth it for FedEx to point a camera inside the cab. Con-way has been struggling to find anyone willing to drive for them since they did it, and most carriers that invested in such cameras removed them after their safest, most experienced drivers moved on. Take the tinfoil hat off. FedEx is obligated by law to inform you if they have an active inward facing camera in the cab for the same reason they are required by law to inform you if there are sound recording devices in the cab. And they stand to lose a lot of the younger, less dedicated-to-FedEx drivers if they did something like that. It's a stupid move, and they have to tell you if they make it.

The mounts are on a pivot, you know. Unscrew the adjustment screw and push it to face the passenger's side, then retighten the screw. It's even meant to be done by hand, and I've never seen an elog system that isn't mounted on a pivoting arm. Peoplenet, Qualcomm, they're all pretty much the same.

I have Peoplenet in my truck. The screen isn't capable of turning far enough left to face me straight on because the dashboard is in the way.

No company is going to depend on one of these to monitor anyone via camera. Too many variables. If they were going to get a camera to point in your face, they would get a camera unit that has both (like Lytx) and not worry about getting two separate feeds from two different companies.

And I'll end this post by saying that Manitoulin Transport uses the exact same tablet units from Peoplenet, and they don't use the camera. Manitoulin Transport is non-union, has no protection via contract, and they have no interest in having a camera looking inside the cab. Why? Because spying on employees is illegal in Canada (and I'm pretty sure it's illegal there, too) and drivers aren't interested in driving for a company that wants to stick a camera in their face.

It's not worth it for FedEx to point a camera inside the cab. Con-way has been struggling to find anyone willing to drive for them since they did it, and most carriers that invested in such cameras removed them after their safest, most experienced drivers moved on. Take the tinfoil hat off. FedEx is obligated by law to inform you if they have an active inward facing camera in the cab for the same reason they are required by law to inform you if there are sound recording devices in the cab. And they stand to lose a lot of the younger, less dedicated-to-FedEx drivers if they did something like that. It's a stupid move, and they have to tell you if they make it.

That's all nice but that is your opinion you don't know for a fact that they aren't going to use the cameras to face the drivers neither do I but time will tell. I don't have a tin foil hat on our CEO said they were coming both outward and inward facing where do you think I'm getting this from, I'm not just making stuff up to cause turmoil. Here is the article I'm referring to https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2015/oct/8/fred-smith-expect-more-ma/print

That's all nice but that is your opinion you don't know for a fact that they aren't going to use the cameras to face the drivers neither do I but time will tell. I don't have a tin foil hat on our CEO said they were coming both outward and inward facing where do you think I'm getting this from, I'm not just making stuff up to cause turmoil. Here is the article I'm referring to https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2015/oct/8/fred-smith-expect-more-ma/print
For the upteenth time, Mr. Smith was speaking in general of the entire industry as a whole....this was his opinion, that doesn't mean it's going to happen!!

He clearly said, "When that happens, I think..." meaning, in his opinion.

I see this:
He predicts that trucks will have inwardly and outwardly focused cameras to uncover details about accidents and also track to see if the driver is alert and sound an alarm if needed.

But I also see this:
Driver pay is going up and dedicated fleets are increasing at a fairly fast rate, he added.

“You’ll see companies and drivers all embracing those technologies pretty quickly,” he said. “When that happens, I think there will be more people interested in going into driving trucks because it is a stressful job.”

Bearing in mind that he says he expects these technologies to become commonplace, nowhere does he mention that he intends for FedEx to lead the way by example. Fred's voicing his opinions here. That doesn't mean anything, and he (like most idealists in the transportation industry) probably doesn't understand why the driver shortage exists and gets worse every year. He believes in making the job as idiot-proof as possible will make more people want to do it. Industry analysts have been contesting this view for a few years now, but people like Fred think technology can solve everything. It can't.

Here's the article I was referring to earlier:
http://m.fleetowner.com/technology/big-question-cameras-driver-or-not

Remember, nobody has asked Fred Smith if he'd like a camera recording his every move while he's at work, and he might change his thoughts if it were put into that perspective for him.

I see this:
He predicts that trucks will have inwardly and outwardly focused cameras to uncover details about accidents and also track to see if the driver is alert and sound an alarm if needed.

But I also see this:
Driver pay is going up and dedicated fleets are increasing at a fairly fast rate, he added.

“You’ll see companies and drivers all embracing those technologies pretty quickly,” he said. “When that happens, I think there will be more people interested in going into driving trucks because it is a stressful job.”

Bearing in mind that he says he expects these technologies to become commonplace, nowhere does he mention that he intends for FedEx to lead the way by example. Fred's voicing his opinions here. That doesn't mean anything, and he (like most idealists in the transportation industry) probably doesn't understand why the driver shortage exists and gets worse every year. He believes in making the job as idiot-proof as possible will make more people want to do it. Industry analysts have been contesting this view for a few years now, but people like Fred think technology can solve everything. It can't.

Remember, nobody has asked Fred Smith if he'd like a camera recording his every move while he's at work, and he might change his thoughts if it were put into that perspective for him.

Agreed on the part he was talking in general but I'm pretty sure we will have that technology. If they do it they won't worry about the ramifications with drivers until after its done imo.

I see this:

But I also see this:

Great article and one that I think, my opinion, most drivers will agree with!!
Thx for sharing

Agreed on the part he was talking in general but I'm pretty sure we will have that technology. If they do it they won't worry about the ramifications with drivers until after its done imo.
If that's the case, it's their loss. All I know is a number of carriers are hesitant to adopt inward facing cams because drivers don't like it. I can understand, for example, why Swift decided to install them. But FedEx Freight isn't a particularly accident-prone carrier.

Personally, I'd be a lot more understanding of policies regarding these cameras if they were used in the cabs of inexperienced drivers or drivers that have damaged equipment or otherwise shown they're at-risk of causing an accident. And most people agree that inward facing cameras, if used, should be used for coaching and NOT discipline, which is a view I agree with.

However, I'm of the view that what the camera determines to be an event worth recording is far too broad and sensitive. I'm also of the view that a carrier can't be trusted to not use inward facing cameras as a disciplinary tool. Not without it being regulated so they CAN'T use it that way.

Great article and one that I think, my opinion, most drivers will agree with!!
Thx for sharing
Always happy to! And I do think most drivers would agree with that article. I sure do.

Carriers have a LONG way to go before drivers will trust them to be able to watch what they do all day and not be at risk of discipline because we decided to drink a coffee or eat a sandwich while driving.

As we all know, some centers already have them, others will have them soon. The only purpose of those cameras is to discipline and eventually fire you. That's it. They serve no other ultimate purpose. What other job out there has you under a spying eye every minute of the day? What I am, working for the Philly Mint? Another strategy to harass you, clean house and get rid of guys and reset the employee roster for less pay, less vacation, etc. I say ride around with your pants down, give the camera the finger, pick your nose, etc.
Lyndy...I think I spelled that rt. Have those camera's. They are a tank line

After hearing rumor over the weekend, and waiting to confirm with my sources (those at centers that have revived the elogs/tablets), in lieu of the tin foil hat wearing fear mongers who are attempting to scare everyone into thinking that there's an alleged driver facing camera in the tablet, the company is now planning to provide stickers to place over the alleged camera so some can ride down the road in peace!!
Maybe some will have a smiley face!! :1036316054:

Last edited:
Don't need stickers for a camera that supposedly doesn't work. Why don't they just remove them from tablet:6799:. I don't know why they need to keep them if they are never going to be used.:idunno:

Don't need stickers for a camera that supposedly doesn't work. Why don't they just remove them from tablet:6799:. I don't know why they need to keep them if they are never going to be used.:idunno:
Do you even realize how obscenely expensive it would be to have the camera physically removed from the tablets? There is no tablet on the market not equipped with a camera. Most have two.

YRCF has Lytx dash cams. Lytx only manufacturers one type of camera; one equipped with inward and outward facing cameras. Lytx was instructed, in accordance with the MOU between YRCF and the IBT, to internally disable the inward facing camera on every unit supplied. Each unit comes with a sticker over the inward facing lens indicating that it has been disabled by Lytx.

Why is there a sticker? Two reasons. One is that they are providing stated proof that the camera is disabled on each unit. The other is to ensure that everyone knows the camera can't see anything even if it was somehow enabled. The sticker is their way of acknowledging that you don't want a camera looking at you.

I understand your concerns, but expecting the cameras to be outright removed is unrealistic. If YRC drivers can live with a sticker, so can you.

Do you even realize how obscenely expensive it would be to have the camera physically removed from the tablets? There is no tablet on the market not equipped with a camera. Most have two.

YRCF has Lytx dash cams. Lytx only manufacturers one type of camera; one equipped with inward and outward facing cameras. Lytx was instructed, in accordance with the MOU between YRCF and the IBT, to internally disable the inward facing camera on every unit supplied. Each unit comes with a sticker over the inward facing lens indicating that it has been disabled by Lytx.

Why is there a sticker? Two reasons. One is that they are providing stated proof that the camera is disabled on each unit. The other is to ensure that everyone knows the camera can't see anything even if it was somehow enabled. The sticker is their way of acknowledging that you don't want a camera looking at you.

I understand your concerns, but expecting the cameras to be outright removed is unrealistic. If YRC drivers can live with a sticker, so can you.

Looks to me like it is a option when ordering the tablets here is the company we are using check it out. They can be ordered with or without the camera. http://legacy.pitchengine.com/peopl...toptionallyportableonboardcomputingplatform-1