ABF | Driver facing cameras

YRC and ABF both have began using forward facing cameras with 3rd party monitoring. Both companies have been successful exonerating drivers at the accident scene. This data can be immediately accessed by law enforcement. On the flip side, I personally know of one accident that obviously the driver went to sleep and ran off into the woods. No other vehicles involved. He survived, but has been terminated. The Company and the Union may come to an agreement to reinstate him, but that is not always the case. A shop manager I talked to the other night said he has not heard anything about driver facing cameras at ABF. I know that YRC is using this data also for safety training and designated Union safety employees review "triggered events" with their fellow drivers. The manager sets a time for the safety training, but the drivers review it and the appointed safety review driver submits a discussion report. Management only gets involved in a "bona fide accident".
We hear you, but nobody is listening...

YRC and ABF both have began using forward facing cameras with 3rd party monitoring. Both companies have been successful exonerating drivers at the accident scene. This data can be immediately accessed by law enforcement. On the flip side, I personally know of one accident that obviously the driver went to sleep and ran off into the woods. No other vehicles involved. He survived, but has been terminated. The Company and the Union may come to an agreement to reinstate him, but that is not always the case. A shop manager I talked to the other night said he has not heard anything about driver facing cameras at ABF. I know that YRC is using this data also for safety training and designated Union safety employees review "triggered events" with their fellow drivers. The manager sets a time for the safety training, but the drivers review it and the appointed safety review driver submits a discussion report. Management only gets involved in a "bona fide accident".

That bothers me a little bit,......about the establishment of "designated Union ..."safety"...employees".....

Who "designates" them?.....and,....by what criteria?

Do they have power to...recommend ...discipline against their fellow Teamsters? If there is no...."bona fide accident"..........why is there any sort of a "safety" review?

I know UPSF has "designated" employees as trainers and "safety" personnel...........(.....I also know of one such..."designated"....person who had an accident on a 5 ton road, where he wasn't supposed to be,involving a telephone pole.............and yet UPSF retained him as "safety/trainer".......)........

......(......which leads me to question just what is the........"criteria"........for the company to take you under their wing, and give you the power to...."recommend".......disciplining your fellow employees,........when your own ..record...isn't so sterling.......)........

I guess this is the latest corporate..."toy"......peer-to-peer review,.........you get judged on your competency by your...."peers".....selected by the company........Of course,.....no personalities, or animosity, or seniority issues will be abused in the selection of your....."peers"......

And,......of course,.......since it's your "peers",....your Fellow Teamsters,........how could you file a grievance on anything perceived to be discriminatory?

That bothers me a little bit,......about the establishment of "designated Union ..."safety"...employees".....

Who "designates" them?.....and,....by what criteria?

Do they have power to...recommend ...discipline against their fellow Teamsters? If there is no...."bona fide accident"..........why is there any sort of a "safety" review?

I know UPSF has "designated" employees as trainers and "safety" personnel...........(.....I also know of one such..."designated"....person who had an accident on a 5 ton road, where he wasn't supposed to be,involving a telephone pole.............and yet UPSF retained him as "safety/trainer".......)........

......(......which leads me to question just what is the........"criteria"........for the company to take you under their wing, and give you the power to...."recommend".......disciplining your fellow employees,........when your own ..record...isn't so sterling.......)........

I guess this is the latest corporate..."toy"......peer-to-peer review,.........you get judged on your competency by your...."peers".....selected by the company........Of course,.....no personalities, or animosity, or seniority issues will be abused in the selection of your....."peers"......

And,......of course,.......since it's your "peers",....your Fellow Teamsters,........how could you file a grievance on anything perceived to be discriminatory?
We have no disciplinary measures for driver facing cameras,Unless your involved in of coarse an accident.There also is no safety training and or consulting involved with fellow employees.I am sut at some time this Will become an issue

We have no disciplinary measures for cameras,Unless your involved in of coarse an accident.There also is no safety training and or consulting involved with fellow employees. In regards to cameras.I am sure at some time this Will become an issue

We have no disciplinary measures for driver facing cameras,Unless your involved in of coarse an accident.There also is no safety training and or consulting involved with fellow employees.I am sut at some time this Will become an issue

Thank you, Brother , for clarifying that,.........

But, it seems that you have doubts that the ability to use these cameras for discipline in the future may be a possibility.

Once a company......an “at-will” employer,.......initiates such a policy,......there is no way to have it removed. I feel.......strongly......that this is a privacy issue that will be abused in the future.

And.......as an “at-will” Employee, you will have no say-so.

The one I know is a National TDC Grand Champion. He's probably qualified, but I don't know the requirements. The report is simply an acknowledgement the peer review was conducted. The only driver I personally know that has had one, it was a hard braking event to avoid a collision, that triggered the saved clip. He was given an "atta boy" since he did all they determined he could have done. I'm just telling you guys what they're doing. Now, the "police" gets called to your "triggered event" you're explaining that one to the safety department, hence, management. But, if you were on your game, there should be no issue if the camera shows you were not at fault. I personally like the unbiased third party witness. They don't know me and what a horse's A$$ I am. Have a safe trip!

Last edited:
Thank you, Brother , for clarifying that,.........

But, it seems that you have doubts that the ability to use these cameras for discipline in the future may be a possibility.

Once a company......an “at-will” employer,.......initiates such a policy,......there is no way to have it removed. I feel.......strongly......that this is a privacy issue that will be abused in the future.

And.......as an “at-will” Employee, you will have no say-so.
They're probably going to be mandated by Federal law in the near future, just like ELD's. Maybe we should try to get our lawmakers to make the "driver facing" a privacy issue, only "forward facing" a safety and investigation tool. Good luck with that! Did someone say ACLU?

Last edited:
If somebody wants to be a " safety advisor" they should get a withdrawal card and become a safety puke.
What if in a meeting, you were nominated and voted into the position, with your peers trusting your judgement? Personally, I would consider it an honor, however, in my case we all know that would never happen. But, you on the other hand....

There is no mandate or language, of which I am aware, that requires us to participate in feedback sessions with brothers or sisters in this position. While I appreciate the intent, if there is no infraction or discipline issued therefrom, I have no obligation to engage or receive critique.
It’s a can of worms. All this would do is create some in-house animosity. Who would ‘choose’ this person? What makes the ‘Chosen One’ a better driver than anybody else? Bottom line: we’re ALL professionals...we know our jobs. This person could take some unforeseen liberties against someone he or she doesn’t necessarily ‘get along’ with.

I have a situation similar to this at my barn. A fellow driver assigns the routes, and a deaf and blind person could even see and hear the blatant favoritism. It’s maddening. Topping it off, he’s our ‘so-called’ Shop Steward...refuses to advance any grievances, yells at us if we go ‘over his head’ to the BA...it’s a mess. The head is too far up managements ass and if you call him on it, it’s retaliation central!

No, I don’t like this idea at all.

It’s a can of worms. All this would do is create some in-house animosity. Who would ‘choose’ this person? What makes the ‘Chosen One’ a better driver than anybody else? Bottom line: we’re ALL professionals...we know our jobs. This person could take some unforeseen liberties against someone he or she doesn’t necessarily ‘get along’ with.

I have a situation similar to this at my barn. A fellow driver assigns the routes, and a deaf and blind person could even see and hear the blatant favoritism. It’s maddening. Topping it off, he’s our ‘so-called’ Shop Steward...refuses to advance any grievances, yells at us if we go ‘over his head’ to the BA...it’s a mess. The head is too far up managements ass and if you call him on it, it’s retaliation central!

Just curious, why would keep this guy as steward?

I’m sorry, that is too much conflict of interest and crossing obvious lines.

Just curious, why would keep this guy as steward?
We’ve never had an election. He was in that position when I started working there. My feeling is that if someone suggested a formal election, it would invite even MORE retaliatory behavior. It would resemble the Supreme Court in that it would be a 5-4 decision, and those 4 would suffer greatly...if you get my drift.