ABF | Driver facing cameras

I’m sorry, that is too much conflict of interest and crossing obvious lines.
Absolutely, Elwood! The inaction from this person as our ‘Shop Steward’ in my opinion is a derelict of duty. And the ‘grip’ he has on the routing assignments is definitely a conflict of interest. It’s blatant favoritism, pure and simple.

I’m sorry, that is too much conflict of interest and crossing obvious lines.
I agree on all points, I'm just letting you folks know it's something that is being piloted at YRC. No doubt there does need to be some language on it in the contract. Right now it's just one of those ambiguous "safety policies" But, Stewards....that won't Steward....your kidding right?

I agree on all points, I'm just letting you folks know it's something that is being piloted at YRC. No doubt there does need to be some language on it in the contract. Right now it's just one of those ambiguous "safety policies" But, Stewards....that won't Steward....your kidding right?
Not kidding. Never goes to the monthly meetings and has never, to my knowledge, been involved in any events attended by Shop Stewards.

We’ve never had an election. He was in that position when I started working there. My feeling is that if someone suggested a formal election, it would invite even MORE retaliatory behavior. It would resemble the Supreme Court in that it would be a 5-4 decision, and those 4 would suffer greatly...if you get my drift.
And that is why we have career politicians, union officials who should have been voted out years ago. Sure you might take a hit for a while, keep records, record your conversations(just let him know you're recording). But good god don't sit there and take it, stand up for your rights as a union member and a member of society

Probably! I often think of the old saying: “Power corrupts. And absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

The bad part is that management either condones,........or is ignorant,......of member-to-member abuse. Either reason is terrible management.

And........it’s terrible Unionism. It should be ingrained in every Union member, that coercion, retribution and revenge......are MANAGEMENT tactics,......and the historical reasons WHY Unions had to be created....

Seniority is NOT rank........We all pay the same Union dues for the same legally-mandated representation. This ain’t the military......

There’s another old saying......” Everyone rises to their own level of incompetence”.........I always applied that to management,....but I guess it can be applied to minor dictators granted minuscule powers by an indifferent and indolent boss......

The bad part is that management either condones,........or is ignorant,......of member-to-member abuse. Either reason is terrible management.

And........it’s terrible Unionism. It should be ingrained in every Union member, that coercion, retribution and revenge......are MANAGEMENT tactics,......and the historical reasons WHY Unions had to be created....

Seniority is NOT rank........We all pay the same Union dues for the same legally-mandated representation. This ain’t the military......

There’s another old saying......” Everyone rises to their own level of incompetence”.........I always applied that to management,....but I guess it can be applied to minor dictators granted minuscule powers by an indifferent and indolent boss......
The more seniority you have....the more you're appreciated....has been my experience

The more seniority you have....the more you're appreciated....has been my experience

I was Number One for about a year and a half,........and Union steward for about 16 years....

I can flat-out guarantee you ,....they didn't "appreciate" me in any way, shape , or form,....that would involve me having a say-so over the daily work assignments,...or the credibility and competence,.....over my co-workers.

In fact,....the reverse may be said.......It seems that some of the things I recommended as steward,....were not only ignored,.....but the reverse policy was sometimes used.

Part of that would probably be my fault........I don't "play well" with authority. There was a constant underlying question about what my "agenda" was......management's way of undermining the guys' I represented confidence in me.....

I had the oldest tractor,....the 'Cubes,...the private homes,...the liftgate........Obviously, I was not the "fair-haired child"........Some of that I volunteered to do,.....with a smile,.....being the consummate professional that I am.......(.....and they couldn't find a way under my skin,...if I would volunteer to do some of the "dirty work".......)......

No, Brother,..........Management would like you to believe you're more "treasured" than the new-hires,.............but in reality,......you're older, slower, loaded with vacation and attitude,....and too familiar with the operation...( ..which, to management, means you know how to play the angles....)...

That YOUNG new-hire,.....is paid less,....has no vacation,.....probably no sick days,......and is eager and willing to take management's word,........and eager to prove himself.

Nothing wrong with that,........but in pure dollars-and-cents terms....(..and when did management ever think in other terms?...)....the new-hire is much more valuable, in the companies' eyes.....than us old, slow , overpaid , high-seniority guys......

They tell you anything else.......you're getting the smoke blown up,...if you know what I mean......

I was Number One for about a year and a half,........and Union steward for about 16 years....

I can flat-out guarantee you ,....they didn't "appreciate" me in any way, shape , or form,....that would involve me having a say-so over the daily work assignments,...or the credibility and competence,.....over my co-workers.

In fact,....the reverse may be said.......It seems that some of the things I recommended as steward,....were not only ignored,.....but the reverse policy was sometimes used.

Part of that would probably be my fault........I don't "play well" with authority. There was a constant underlying question about what my "agenda" was......management's way of undermining the guys' I represented confidence in me.....

I had the oldest tractor,....the 'Cubes,...the private homes,...the liftgate........Obviously, I was not the "fair-haired child"........Some of that I volunteered to do,.....with a smile,.....being the consummate professional that I am.......(.....and they couldn't find a way under my skin,...if I would volunteer to do some of the "dirty work".......)......

No, Brother,..........Management would like you to believe you're more "treasured" than the new-hires,.............but in reality,......you're older, slower, loaded with vacation and attitude,....and too familiar with the operation...( ..which, to management, means you know how to play the angles....)...

That YOUNG new-hire,.....is paid less,....has no vacation,.....probably no sick days,......and is eager and willing to take management's word,........and eager to prove himself.

Nothing wrong with that,........but in pure dollars-and-cents terms....(..and when did management ever think in other terms?...)....the new-hire is much more valuable, in the companies' eyes.....than us old, slow , overpaid , high-seniority guys......

They tell you anything else.......you're getting the smoke blown up,...if you know what I mean......
Well....I bumped into the number 3 spot on a 12 man board in a COO. The Steward was worthless as "tits on a boar hog" and the boss soon learned that I had my new BA's cell number on speed dial...He and the Steward along with most of the crew there had a "special kind of appreciation" for me! And, also Canary....you were probably #1 for much longer than what was on the seniority list...if you get my drift. Good Stewards are always "highly appreciated" and never thrown under the....cube trailer!

Last edited: